Sponsored by:

Frunk release not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 05:36 PM
BF951
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Frunk release not working

Last week I disconnected the battery to charge it. I don’t usually disconnect the negative but the Tender was indicating a fault and wanted to see if reported the same with the lead disconnected. It was fine. Through comedy of errors the trunk gets closed before reconnecting the battery and I needed to release the trunk using the emergency cable in the driver’s fender well.

Thanks Halo777 for the great pictures
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...fuse-jump.html

Now even with a fully charged battery the trunk release by the driver’s seat or on the Key FOB won’t unlatch the trunk.
I’ve checked the C3 fuse as indicated by other threads. All other aspects of the car work fine. Door lock/unlock, rear trunk release. etc. It does not seem to be a power issue. For kicks I tried jumping the trunk release using the post in the fuse panel, no go.

It’s like there is some aspect of the mechanism that needs to be reset or reconnected after using the emergency cable.

Any ideas?
Old 01-08-2017, 06:49 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by BF951
Last week I disconnected the battery to charge it. I don’t usually disconnect the negative but the Tender was indicating a fault and wanted to see if reported the same with the lead disconnected. It was fine. Through comedy of errors the trunk gets closed before reconnecting the battery and I needed to release the trunk using the emergency cable in the driver’s fender well.

Thanks Halo777 for the great pictures
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...fuse-jump.html

Now even with a fully charged battery the trunk release by the driver’s seat or on the Key FOB won’t unlatch the trunk.
I’ve checked the C3 fuse as indicated by other threads. All other aspects of the car work fine. Door lock/unlock, rear trunk release. etc. It does not seem to be a power issue. For kicks I tried jumping the trunk release using the post in the fuse panel, no go.

It’s like there is some aspect of the mechanism that needs to be reset or reconnected after using the emergency cable.

Any ideas?
Are you hearing any latch activity when you pull the trunk release lever - in other words is it getting power? BTW, why disconnect the battery to charge?
Old 01-08-2017, 07:59 PM
BF951
Rennlist Member

No, I am not hearing any latch activity or electrical switching.

"I don’t usually disconnect the negative but the Tender was indicating a fault and wanted to see if reported the same with the lead disconnected"
It was only disconnected to test the fault indicator.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:35 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts

You might disconnect the battery again and reconnect it and see what happens after the systems reset.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:55 PM
BF951
Rennlist Member

Problem has been solved.

I found the emergency release cable had been wrapped around the solenoid wiring harness and had completely pulled it out.

Quick Reply: Frunk release not working