Sponsored by:

First accident

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 09:04 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by dgjks6
Thanks guys. Damage not horrible. But right rear tire/wheel hit. Drove to Porsche dealer after the accident.because steering wheel off a little. They could not see anything bent. Said to get it aligned after repair and if can't get in spec will replace parts.

We both have Allstate so should be easy to do claim

Was on kbb and they let you put in accident in appraisal price. Seems to affect price about $2500-$3000
Oh brother.. Couldn't see anything bent? What a joke.

You owe it to yourself to have the car put on a alignment rack and the car's alignment checked.

The problem is if the alignment is off more than a bit the adjustment should *not* be used to bring the car into alignment. The car suffered some tub/chassis "damage".

So the proper course of action is, and I know I'll get some static for this but I feel helping you get the best repair possible is all that counts, for the repair shop -- and if it is a Porsche Approved Collision Center it should do this without being told/asked to -- needs to get the car on an alignment bench and check the hard points on at least the corner that was hit.

If these are out of position these must be brought into position so the car can be aligned without having to use any of the alignment adjustment to bring a bent car into proper alignment.

If they are out of position some suspension components were likely bent too and need to be replaced.

These cars are tough but they can be subtly damaged by what seems to be a glancing blow.

A proper repair looks for any sign of underlying damage (dent chassis/tub) and addresses this first. Porsche clearly specifies this as a straight chassis/tub is the foundation upon which returning a car to its pre collision condition is based.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:49 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts

Still in the process of getting the repair, what I did was after the accident I drove to the dealer where I bought the car. When it was on the lift the salesman, mechanic, and service manager were all looking up at the car with sympathetic looks on their faces.

Any way - inspected it and drove it - said it was slightly out of alignment but was safe to drive. They wanted to see the car after the body work, then they would align it and if it needed more than a minor adjustment they would replace parts.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:41 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Still in the process of getting the repair, what I did was after the accident I drove to the dealer where I bought the car. When it was on the lift the salesman, mechanic, and service manager were all looking up at the car with sympathetic looks on their faces.

Any way - inspected it and drove it - said it was slightly out of alignment but was safe to drive. They wanted to see the car after the body work, then they would align it and if it needed more than a minor adjustment they would replace parts.
The problem is if any parts are bent there is a possibility where they attach to the body/chassis/tub is also bent or damaged in some way and out of position.

The parts are quite substantial and robust, they have to be to withstand the forces. If any are bent that takes considerably more force than they are designed for and likewise where they connect is designed for.

Determining the suspension/drivetrain attachment points are in their proper location is what an alignment bench (not a rack) is for. Proper/suitable gages are rented from the bench manufacturer (one is Celette) and the suspected hard points are checked for proper positioning and if found out of position brought into position.

Then new parts are fitted and while the car will have to be aligned afterwards just normal adjustments will be needed to bring the car into proper alignment.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:48 PM
por944trs
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Be sure and inquire if they keep thier tools sperate for disembler materials i.e. Alumium and steel componants. Even some certified facilities are not as diligent on this as they should be. Can cause serious corrosion issues after the repair due to transfer. Should not be a problem , but sometimes is and hard to prove after the fact.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:50 PM
ocgarza
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by por944trs
Be sure and inquire if they keep thier tools sperate for disembler materials i.e. Alumium and steel componants. Even some certified facilities are not as diligent on this as they should be. Can cause serious corrosion issues after the repair due to transfer. Should not be a problem , but sometimes is and hard to prove after the fact.
Holy Kriki....
Old 01-04-2017, 04:10 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Still have not heard from my adjuster. They can see the car on a Thursday at 11. Problem is I work. The accident report showed up - she just got cited for failure to control. No texting was noted - but that is still my bet. And she claimed she was doing the speed limit- but I can't believe that. I was up to speed and she came flying up behind me.

Anyway - may be time for me to be not so nice. And I hate doing that, but after several phone calls, I should have heard something back by now.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:15 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

OK - finally spoke with my agent. The problem is she has not filed a claim or called her ins company yet. They are both Allstate so they pulled her up and they will call her.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:20 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Good luck man, the damage is minimal, you were quite lucky. The fines for texting and driving should be just as bad as drunk driving... it's probably more dangerous.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:28 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,164 Likes on 3,929 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Good luck man, the damage is minimal, you were quite lucky. The fines for texting and driving should be just as bad as drunk driving... it's probably more dangerous.
Totally agree. I drove back from DC to SC this weekend and passed the same college age kid in a Honda Civic probably 3 times over a couple hundred miles. Every time he was looking down at his phone texting or typing messages with his thumb. These are the people who need the Google Car where they sit in their own steering wheel-less pod in their own lane, using their anti-social media device the entire time while being transported from A to B.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:37 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Update. It took until the end of Jan for them to track her down and get her accept liability. Then took another week to get into the body shop. Original estimate was $2700. Now going into week three at the body shop and the repair estimate has doubled. I am getting a new rim and not refinished. Was $1200 for the wheel alone. And the are replacing the rear bumper rather than refinishing it. I am glad I took it to a Porsche certified body shop. I bet the local Ford dealer they recommended would not have done all this.

I'm driving a corolla at their expense. Got to say, taking $18 to fill up the gas tank is a new experience.

Anyway, should be done with the body work this week and off to the dealer for alignment/mechanical inspection.

Then time to go for diminished value. Quick check of KBB says the accident decrease the value by about $2800.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:52 PM
Redhot2474
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Update. It took until the end of Jan for them to track her down and get her accept liability. Then took another week to get into the body shop. Original estimate was $2700. Now going into week three at the body shop and the repair estimate has doubled. I am getting a new rim and not refinished. Was $1200 for the wheel alone. And the are replacing the rear bumper rather than refinishing it. I am glad I took it to a Porsche certified body shop. I bet the local Ford dealer they recommended would not have done all this.

I'm driving a corolla at their expense. Got to say, taking $18 to fill up the gas tank is a new experience.

Anyway, should be done with the body work this week and off to the dealer for alignment/mechanical inspection.

Then time to go for diminished value. Quick check of KBB says the accident decrease the value by about $2800.
wife's macan was hit, I was able to get 5% of NADA value for diminishment of value claim - good luck
Old 02-26-2017, 04:02 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

I think we have the same garage. My wife has a macan S and I have a carrera 4 cab. Looks like yours in an S but I can't see well enough in the avatar.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:32 PM
911searcher
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Considering new plan - take the check form the ins company (they said today the do give diminished value). Get alignment. Drive a dented 911 and spend the profits on hookers and blow.
LOL. /genius

I am glad I took it to a Porsche certified body shop.
Back to reality !

Good luck.
Any review on the 3 week Corolla driving experience ?

Old 02-26-2017, 10:36 PM
Redhot2474
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

I think we have the same garage. My wife has a macan S and I have a carrera 4 cab. Looks like yours in an S but I can't see well enough in the avatar.
yep, 4s and I love her
Old 02-26-2017, 11:06 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

The driving experience is meh. No excitement, no quirks, no problems. Only gets 300 miles/tank like the 911 but costs less than $20 to fill up. My first experience with safety nannies -auto cruise and lane departure warning. The lane departure warning is worthless. The auto cruise control is strange. It lets the car in front of me determine my speed. I think I should determine how fast I am driving.

Summary - my kids drive my old cars, an Audi Q7 and BMW 535. I think this would make a great kid car. Boring and hard to get in trouble. But I don't think it would instill any passion in them.

Quick Reply: First accident