Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New aerokit/GT3 front bumper installed, finally

Old 12-16-2016, 04:12 PM
Strelok
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rodH
The Clarence is absolutely horrible. I plasty dip that front lip for this very reason. I have to drive the car more like an exotic car. I am running Eibach springs and when I park next to a 997 GT three my car sits exactly the same. With the H&R springs you even be lower and scrape all over the place. Frankly, I think the H&R springs are too low for even a stock 997. The proportions for some reason just don't look right to me. I fully recognize that this is all personal opinion.
That's too bad

I guess I will have to choose between lowering springs or the bumper, I don't think I'll be able to get away with both with how horrible the roads are around me. I even scrape sometimes in stock form.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:55 PM
caymannyc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Color looks beautiful and am pleased that the reception on rennlist is so positive!
Old 12-20-2016, 09:21 AM
krispe
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I am on Eibach pro-kit springs. Ideally, I'd love to raise the front a 1/2" to take a little rake out.
I'm the same, I was wondering if I could just get an aluminium spacer made that is about 10mm thick that could fit between the OEM top mounts and the body to raise it? (need to replace the top mount bolts with longer ones though)
Old 12-21-2016, 09:13 PM
Feelgood MD
Rennlist Member

That aero bumper is awesome! BTW, how did the final fit/finish turn out on the smile grille? I'm a bit disappointed in mine (on my oem bumper) because it doesn't seat perfectly flush. I know it's only a few mm off, and I'm literally the only person on earth who would notice, but it aggravates me nonetheless. I'm curious if this is an installation problem or is it impossible to get perfect as a retrofit? As you can see from the pics, it never sat flush from the get-go so my body shop guy added some double-sided tape which did absolutely nothing...

Anyway, did any of you guys who've done this mod use epoxy to hold it down to the bumper, or did the included clips from Rennline hold it down well enough? I'm trying to decide whether it's worth it to pull the bumper off and try adjusting or reinstalling it (with or without some sort of epoxy/glue) or if I should just leave it as-is and deal with it being imperfect.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:24 PM
FLA 997
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Feelgood MD
That aero bumper is awesome! BTW, how did the final fit/finish turn out on the smile grille? I'm a bit disappointed in mine (on my oem bumper) because it doesn't seat perfectly flush. I know it's only a few mm off, and I'm literally the only person on earth who would notice, but it aggravates me nonetheless. I'm curious if this is an installation problem or is it impossible to get perfect as a retrofit? As you can see from the pics, it never sat flush from the get-go so my body shop guy added some double-sided tape which did absolutely nothing...

Anyway, did any of you guys who've done this mod use epoxy to hold it down to the bumper, or did the included clips from Rennline hold it down well enough? I'm trying to decide whether it's worth it to pull the bumper off and try adjusting or reinstalling it (with or without some sort of epoxy/glue) or if I should just leave it as-is and deal with it being imperfect.
Was the hole cut too big? Looks like the snaps aren't grabbing on the ends.
Look here at the 10 minute mark. Looks like a pretty tight fit. Hopefully you can just snap it in. That would drive me crazy too. :/
Old 12-21-2016, 10:09 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,134 Likes on 3,907 Posts

When I did the one on my wife's car, I had a similar issue. I actually took some small threaded nylon feet I had and somehow connected them to the top part of the smile. When I screw the feet down against the underside of the bumper, it cantilevers the smile vent top piece pulling it down tighter. I didn't take photos at the time and don't really remember the specifics of how I did it, but there is certainly more than one way to "skin a cat", or for the ASPCA members, to install a smile vent - just might take some creativity.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:53 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

Mine is perfectly flush. The left side was initially slightly raised like that so I trimmed a little bit more off and it fit into the proper position. I think it is a matter of the hole being slightly too small. I used the rennline install clips and screen.

Originally Posted by Feelgood MD

Old 12-22-2016, 10:17 AM
jeffm
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Strelok
That's too bad

I guess I will have to choose between lowering springs or the bumper, I don't think I'll be able to get away with both with how horrible the roads are around me. I even scrape sometimes in stock form.
In Atlanta it's that bad? I just installed the turbo front bumper with the aero front lip. It's low but not that low, maybe even slightly lower that the aero bumper. I've yet to scrape anything, but to be honest I haven't put that many miles on since the install.

There are two other projects I want to get done first, but lowering springs will be after that. Most kits seem to be an inch drop or slightly less. Without going the adjustable route, my preference would be a drop between 1/2 and 3/4" drop, max.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:14 PM
Strelok
Advanced

Originally Posted by jeffm
In Atlanta it's that bad? I just installed the turbo front bumper with the aero front lip. It's low but not that low, maybe even slightly lower that the aero bumper. I've yet to scrape anything, but to be honest I haven't put that many miles on since the install.

There are two other projects I want to get done first, but lowering springs will be after that. Most kits seem to be an inch drop or slightly less. Without going the adjustable route, my preference would be a drop between 1/2 and 3/4" drop, max.
Where I am yes. I'm in the city on the east side. Half of the roads are crumbling apart and the other half have giant holes dug in them for construction. It's rough.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:53 AM
riggzee2
Rennlist Member

$1450 bumper
$500 paint
$220 GT3 smile vent kit
$35 DIY mesh grill
4-5 hrs my own labor

$400-500 clearbra going on in couple weeks (waiting for paint to cure/degas)
Where did you purchase these bits?
Are they All OEM?
(Found a Eurethane version on eBay, w/lip about a K)
Old 12-23-2016, 11:16 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Suncoastparts.com.
To the poster askng about how its so cheap; I think you have a 997.2. The 997.1 prices are substantially cheaper for some reason. A good example is the third radiator. 997.1 = $199, 997.2 = $900.
I suspect the body kit may be similar
Old 12-23-2016, 01:57 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by riggzee2
Where did you purchase these bits?
Are they All OEM?
(Found a Eurethane version on eBay, w/lip about a K)
all OEM. Bumper from Circle Porsche online and vent from Rennline. I didn't want to get an aftermarket bumper just to save a few hundred bucks. There is so much area that meets the factory bodywork that if it weren't perfect the gaps would be extremely noticeable.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:02 AM
Tom Feldmann
Instructor

Does the smile vent here actually divert air up over the hood or is this just for looks? Anyone install one of these with a center radiator?

I was lucky enough to get a center radiator kit for xmas but it looks like it vents its air down underneath the car from what I can tell (haven't installed it yet).
Old 12-29-2016, 12:53 PM
fazeShift
Track Day

Originally Posted by Tom Feldmann
Does the smile vent here actually divert air up over the hood or is this just for looks? Anyone install one of these with a center radiator?

I was lucky enough to get a center radiator kit for xmas but it looks like it vents its air down underneath the car from what I can tell (haven't installed it yet).
I was actually going to ask the exact same thing!!
Old 12-29-2016, 01:10 PM
hpapad01
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Feldmann

If memory serves me right, on the Turbo and GTx cars the center radiator vents the air upwards. On our cars is downwards.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New aerokit/GT3 front bumper installed, finally