Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cellphone placement woes solution (image heavy)

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 12:47 AM
dasswerd
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cellphone placement woes solution (image heavy)

After browsing various solutions online, I decided I could come up with a better solution than setting my phone in the ashtray or running my iPod cable up the dash to a magnetic mount.

Here is what I came up with

I think the "smokers package" or whatever its called is required. I used the cigarette holder to mount the bracket on the rear of a magnetic mount and it turned out bitchin

The whole thing took 15 minutes once I had all the pieces...

I'm happy to answer any questions about the install if its not straightforward enough!
Old 12-02-2016, 01:20 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

I bought the circle dash mount. It wedges perfectly in the same place. I alternate between the dash and the location you have pictured. No issues!
Old 12-02-2016, 05:16 AM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm a big fan of my ProClip solution. Even Alcantara wrapped it. Not a permanent, irreversible solution; easy to remove, and doesn't harm the trim it attaches to. Looks great, perfect positioning.

Old 12-02-2016, 09:25 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Nice write-up...but how about a picture with the phone in place and with the cable.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:10 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Currently I just rest the phone on a 45-degree angle between the shift boot and PSM/spoiler-switch area. There's enough friction with my Otterbox case that it has never slid. So any mounting down low is of no advantage to me. I want it up closer to eye level so I don't have to look down. But not on the dash or windshield in my line of sight through the windshield (or for the phone to get baked by the sun).

I bought a CD mount someone on another thread said worked great, but I found that the sculpted "mouth" of the radio faceplace kept the mount's wings from seating far enough into the recessed CD slot. Tightening the mount put force on that plastic mouth, but I could still pull the mount out without much force. Plus, there wasn't strong enough magnetic attraction with the plate inside the Otterbox skin. And the plate looks like heck stuck to the outside (and doesn't stick well to the silicone anyway). The only way I could use it would be cut the belt clip off the belt holster (which I never used anyway) and stick the metal plate to the back of it. But that adds a layer of weight, ugliness and fiddling that I'm not happy with.

The only mount so far I feel is a halfway decent solution for me is the Proclip center vent mount, but I would need to put it over the doorlock/4-way flasher switches to avoid blocking/deflecting the airflow. I want ALL the A/C straight at me or the passenger. And no one can guarantee the mount will snap securely in that position due to the slight taper of the upper rim of the vent surround.

Then there's the purely esthetic issue. The 997's dash is one of it's better features, very smooth visual flow. Sticking a phone somewhere just seems to look like a taxi meter to me So I'm still on the fence.

Old 12-02-2016, 03:39 PM
dinfung
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use this one and work great for all my car. problem is 1 of the airvent will be blocked. I am fine using the center passenger side vent as my wife doesn't like air blowing at her face anyway.

https://www.amazon.ca/Spigen-Magneti...etic+car+mount
Old 12-03-2016, 11:02 PM
alan111
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ten Years
I'm a big fan of my ProClip solution. Even Alcantara wrapped it. Not a permanent, irreversible solution; easy to remove, and doesn't harm the trim it attaches to. Looks great, perfect positioning.

I like this setup. Can you let us know part numbers for all items used to install?
Old 12-04-2016, 12:36 AM
cringely
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

I used to use a Slipgrip that had a flexible section connected to a suction mount that attached to the windshield (left side) with a iPhone 5S. It was OK other than the fact the power cord stretched from the lighter socket over the top of the steering wheel. Most of the time (especially when I "jammed" it into the dashboard), vibration wasn't too much of a problem.
I just upgraded to an iPhone 7+. Does anyone have a suggestion for anything that has it the phone mount or above the vent level? I've tried one that mounts to the vent louvers, but it ends up pointing the iPhone towards the gear shift and not towards eye level.
Having to look down towards the console is distracting, especially in heavy traffic.
Old 12-04-2016, 02:43 AM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by alan111
I like this setup. Can you let us know part numbers for all items used to install?
Sure. You can also check it all out on their website.

Here's the mount. And then you need the specific base for your phone:

http://www.proclipusa.com/dashboard-..._leftorright=0

http://www.proclipusa.com/phone-hold...th-a-case.cmsv

I also use black felt to cover up the area directly under the phone, as it shows a screw head when there's no phone in it. I also used the felt in the lower part of the base, as seen in the photo above. And then I wrapped my mount's arm in genuine Alcantara to match my interior. The standard black wrinkled finish looks fine with most interiors, though. Hope this helps.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:51 AM
mreloc
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd throw that in the trash and get this instead https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I route my charging wire under the right edge of the center console and it's pretty much out of the way.

I've tried all sorts of mounts in the past including ProClip and although they can be nice, they're expensive and can be complex.

This cheapo magnetic mount works amazingly well and holds the phone as tightly as the magnetic version of the Proclip I had. Plus, I can slide it off to use in rental cars, etc. With the iPhone 7 it holds it upright just fine.

Fun part is when I see that if one of my friends or family don't have one, I can surprise them with a delivery without costing much.
Old 12-04-2016, 02:24 PM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 150 Posts

I did a similar job to the OP - got a cheapo mount and cut the original suction cup base off and moulded it into an epoxy resin block that sits in the ashtray. With a short charging cable it works well. For nav I use the audio turn by turn instructions from the phone so I don't have to look down,
I'll have to try to get some pic's.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:05 PM
CTCOOP
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mreloc
I'd throw that in the trash and get this instead https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I route my charging wire under the right edge of the center console and it's pretty much out of the way.

I've tried all sorts of mounts in the past including ProClip and although they can be nice, they're expensive and can be complex.

This cheapo magnetic mount works amazingly well and holds the phone as tightly as the magnetic version of the Proclip I had. Plus, I can slide it off to use in rental cars, etc. With the iPhone 7 it holds it upright just fine.

Fun part is when I see that if one of my friends or family don't have one, I can surprise them with a delivery without costing much.
Where did you attach it? I've tried this type of mount and the phone just pulls the mount out of the vent because the magnet is stronger than the grip that mount has on the vent when you grab your phone to leave the car...
Old 12-06-2016, 01:37 AM
cringely
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Has anybody tried the SlipGrip Vent Holder For iPhone 7 Plus Using Apple Leather Case Part #SG-965513 http://www.slipgripcarmounts.com/Sli..._p_184574.html
or the one with a suction mount Part #SG-962055 http://www.slipgripcarmounts.com/Sli..._p_181116.html?
Old 12-06-2016, 11:31 AM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CTCOOP
Where did you attach it? I've tried this type of mount and the phone just pulls the mount out of the vent because the magnet is stronger than the grip that mount has on the vent when you grab your phone to leave the car...
The magnet mounts that clip to the air vents are USELESS. Sure, the magnet is fine and adheres the phone to the mount well, but when clipped to the vent ribs the entire assemblage is so heavy (iPhone 6s, ultra-lite thin case) that the whole thing constantly droops and ever stays up. Tried in both my 997 and my GTI, both fail.

I will never put anything other than a CD in the CD slot, so that solution is out, and will not tape, screw into or disassemble the dash or any console to add a phone mount, so I have yet to find a good solution for this. (And windshield mounted suction arms are unacceptably ugly.)
Old 12-06-2016, 12:44 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jsalah
The magnet mounts that clip to the air vents are USELESS. Sure, the magnet is fine and adheres the phone to the mount well, but when clipped to the vent ribs the entire assemblage is so heavy (iPhone 6s, ultra-lite thin case) that the whole thing constantly droops and ever stays up. Tried in both my 997 and my GTI, both fail.

I will never put anything other than a CD in the CD slot, so that solution is out, and will not tape, screw into or disassemble the dash or any console to add a phone mount, so I have yet to find a good solution for this. (And windshield mounted suction arms are unacceptably ugly.)
You got the wrong vent unit. It has taken me about 3-4 of them before I actually got on that works. the clamp is large enough there it doesn't allow the vents to fall down.

Quick Reply: cellphone placement woes solution (image heavy)