Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cellphone placement woes solution (image heavy)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 03:40 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by jsalah
The magnet mounts that clip to the air vents are USELESS. Sure, the magnet is fine and adheres the phone to the mount well, but when clipped to the vent ribs the entire assemblage is so heavy (iPhone 6s, ultra-lite thin case) that the whole thing constantly droops and ever stays up. Tried in both my 997 and my GTI, both fail.

I will never put anything other than a CD in the CD slot, so that solution is out, and will not tape, screw into or disassemble the dash or any console to add a phone mount, so I have yet to find a good solution for this. (And windshield mounted suction arms are unacceptably ugly.)
I was in the same boat but went with the CD clip. The part that goes in to the cd does not extend far enough in to trigger anything inside the cd player itself (and I only use my ipod for music so the cd slot is pretty useless to me). I have not heard of anyone suffering any damage to the cd surround itself. Its possible I guess but the cd slot looks a lot tougher than the phone mount. The only issue I have is when I push it all the way in, the back of the holder hits the emergency call button so it keeps asking me if I want to make an emerg call!!

It at least puts it up high enough so you are not looking down much at all. It can work itself loose over time but I don't use it all the time (mostly for Waze) so works pretty well over all.

Originally Posted by rodH
You got the wrong vent unit. It has taken me about 3-4 of them before I actually got on that works. the clamp is large enough there it doesn't allow the vents to fall down.
So which one did you go for that fits? And does it pull off when you remove your phone?

Cheers
Old 12-06-2016, 04:27 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
I was in the same boat but went with the CD clip. The part that goes in to the cd does not extend far enough in to trigger anything inside the cd player itself (and I only use my ipod for music so the cd slot is pretty useless to me). I have not heard of anyone suffering any damage to the cd surround itself. Its possible I guess but the cd slot looks a lot tougher than the phone mount. The only issue I have is when I push it all the way in, the back of the holder hits the emergency call button so it keeps asking me if I want to make an emerg call!!

It at least puts it up high enough so you are not looking down much at all. It can work itself loose over time but I don't use it all the time (mostly for Waze) so works pretty well over all.

So which one did you go for that fits? And does it pull off when you remove your phone?

Cheers
this one doesn't pull off because it has a clamp vs the weak wedge thing.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:29 PM
AltVelo
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

I also went with the CD slot mount. The model I bought is on the small side for the CD slot, so even at the limit, it's fits with a little but of play. On the phone end, it uses a magnet(a round plate is stuck to my phone case). Works well as vern1 noted and as it's in a a good spot. Mines is just in front of the door luck button. I can just see the door lock LED.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:39 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 772 Posts

It's funny to think about the fact that the 997 interior was designed years before the original iPhone launched in 2007. The 997 designers coudln't imagine how iPhones and similar products would be used today.

You might think that this would be addressed in the 991. It was not. There's still no place to put your phone. I put mine in the glove box. It helps me resist the temptation to look at the phone while I'm driving.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:12 PM
AltVelo
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

I thought for a car released in 05 it was pretty modern.. and even has SIM slot! I'm certain car makers are required to follow as best they can, "hands free" requirement(bluetooth). With my Tooki interface I can do that. The main reason I want my phone visible is for the map/GPS. Also it's much easier to grab and not forget when I get out of the car.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:48 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by AltVelo
I also went with the CD slot mount. The model I bought is on the small side for the CD slot, so even at the limit, it's fits with a little but of play. On the phone end, it uses a magnet(a round plate is stuck to my phone case). Works well as vern1 noted and as it's in a a good spot. Mines is just in front of the door luck button. I can just see the door lock LED.
I have also used the CD mount and it works very very well, until you want to change the CD. ONce I go to the itranzit unit, I may go back to the CD mount as the position is about as perfect as it can get and it didnt scratch anything or mess anything up either
Old 12-06-2016, 07:18 PM
mreloc
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CTCOOP View Post
Where did you attach it? I've tried this type of mount and the phone just pulls the mount out of the vent because the magnet is stronger than the grip that mount has on the vent when you grab your phone to leave the car...
The magnet mounts that clip to the air vents are USELESS. Sure, the magnet is fine and adheres the phone to the mount well, but when clipped to the vent ribs the entire assemblage is so heavy (iPhone 6s, ultra-lite thin case) that the whole thing constantly droops and ever stays up. Tried in both my 997 and my GTI, both fail.
The one I posted works very well. The grippers are 4-way, meaning not only does it grip the "up/down" louvers, but also the "right/Left" louvers behind. This give it enough friction to be pretty stable. Also, as far a blocking the air from the vent, I find it beneficial, especially in a cabrio where the sun often caused my iphone to go into Overheat mode- the air blowing onto it prevents this from happening
Old 12-06-2016, 08:25 PM
cringely
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1

Cheers
Vern1, any photos? and what is the link to purchase one?
Old 12-07-2016, 05:58 AM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Lately I've wanted a mount, but don't want to block vents or look down at the phone. I had my iPhone 3GS in the console wired to the stereo, but it wouldn't run the latest iOS - so that killed Spotify etc - got an iPhone 6 to replace it, but it's a tight fit in the console, the cable sometimes gets in the way. I use it just for music and a spare camera in a pinch.

I use an iPhone 6s for my phone, and it goes on DND/Silent/don't-vibrate-on-silent and lives in the door pocket from the moment I open the door to get in, till the moment I open the door to get out.

All that said, there have been hundreds of times I wished I had a horizontal mount just to catch quick videos on my drives, or for gps when I'm headed some place that waze could help with.

I tried a CarPlay stereo and returned it because it needs a cellular or wifi connection (requires Siri), and a lot of my driving is along the coast or in the mountains where service is spotty or non-existent, thus rendering CarPlay and my entire music library useless.

I had to shut off Siri altogether because my gf's name is Sierra, and Siri was forever saying "I didn't catch that!" In the middle of random conversations. (!!!)

Anyone found a nice solution for a horizontal mount that works for video or time lapse video through the windshield?
Old 12-07-2016, 04:01 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

I do use my phone for Waze and G00GLE maps, so below the windshield is great for me.
Never touch it after starting the car....
$490-1000 charge and 3 demerit points, here.
At 88 feet per second, you can be in the rhubarb pretty fast.
I can understand the charge.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:26 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by cringely
Vern1, any photos? and what is the link to purchase one?
Here's the one I got: https://www.amazon.ca/Koomus-Pro-CD-...F4Q6PVGDY1620R

No photos as I would have to take the phone out of the mount in order to take a pic

Originally Posted by rodH
this one doesn't pull off because it has a clamp vs the weak wedge thing.
Every review I have seen for the magnetic ones say that they don't work well for a larger phone like the Nexus 6 I have. And I don't want it shooting off in the middle of a corner!
Old 12-07-2016, 05:46 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

This is the mag type I have. I put the metal plate on the outside of my case. It is too heavy for the inside of the case. Not enough contact.

Quick Reply: cellphone placement woes solution (image heavy)