Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cabriolet closing... rear windows do not close all the way up

Old 11-26-2016, 06:53 PM
hpapad01
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Cabriolet closing... rear windows do not close all the way up

This is a 997.1. During the closing of the vert top the rear windows sometimes do not close completely. In fact, they close and then reopen and stay open at approximately halfway. The vert top opens/closes and locks without any issues. The two front windows behave normal.

Basically I have to manually close either of the rear windows.

The dealer found excessive play in the vert top latch assembly and the recommendation was to replace the vert top latch assembly at $1,260.86 including parts and labor.

Is anyone familiar with the top latch assembly? Can I take it apart and see if I can do anything with it? When the top closes everything appears to be normal so I'm not quite sure where the excessive play comes from.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Last edited by hpapad01; 11-26-2016 at 07:12 PM.
Old 11-26-2016, 08:30 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Try lubricating the window seals first.
The following users liked this post:
Mike Murphy (11-18-2020)
Old 11-26-2016, 08:49 PM
hpapad01
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
Try lubricating the window seals first.
Glad you reminded me! I do have Gummi Pfledge and I will give it a try in the morning.

I hope is as simple as that.

The Service Manager thinks the play on the top latch assembly is what is causing the rear windows to think that the closing/locking operation is not complete and the reason for the retraction. I'm just not convinced though because the same should happen for the front windows as well if that's was the case.

Obviously, just be observing the top latch assembly, I cannot see any play or hear any unusual noises.

Thanks for your suggestion and I will post the results.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:34 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

I would ask them to demonstrate where there is excessive play in the latch ie What is causing them to tell you it needs replacing?

Re rear windows this happens to me a few times a year. All I do is put the rear windows down and then up and hold the switch for 30 secs to reset. Works for me and I got this from a previous thread on here somewhere. Don't think it has anything at all to do with the latch and they should know that
Old 11-27-2016, 11:40 PM
hpapad01
Instructor

Originally Posted by vern1
I would ask them to demonstrate where there is excessive play in the latch ie What is causing them to tell you it needs replacing?

Re rear windows this happens to me a few times a year. All I do is put the rear windows down and then up and hold the switch for 30 secs to reset. Works for me and I got this from a previous thread on here somewhere. Don't think it has anything at all to do with the latch and they should know that
Vern1 thank you for your reply.

I applied the Gummi Phledge this morning and it seams that did the trick 4/4 openings/closings. I also observed the latching mechanism. When unlocked, it does have a play, you can move it with your hand a few millimeters to the left and right. However, when the hook latches it is solid, so I'm dismissing their theory, unless there is a sensor in there that could be causing the issue. At least thats how my vert M3 works, so it is possible. We'll see going forward if thats the case.

You mentioned reseting by holding the switch for 30 secs. Which switch are you holding? The switch of the rear window that has the issue or something different?

Thanks again for your reply!
Old 11-28-2016, 12:47 AM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by hpapad01
Vern1 thank you for your reply.

I applied the Gummi Phledge this morning and it seams that did the trick 4/4 openings/closings. I also observed the latching mechanism. When unlocked, it does have a play, you can move it with your hand a few millimeters to the left and right. However, when the hook latches it is solid, so I'm dismissing their theory, unless there is a sensor in there that could be causing the issue. At least thats how my vert M3 works, so it is possible. We'll see going forward if thats the case.

You mentioned reseting by holding the switch for 30 secs. Which switch are you holding? The switch of the rear window that has the issue or something different?

Thanks again for your reply!
I've been having a similar problem with my front windows (not always returning to the fully-up position when closing my top) on my 2010 C4S Cab. I've not used Gummi Pfledge on either this or my 2012 Cayenne S, but would this potentially solve my front window problems on my 997.2 Cab as well?
Old 11-28-2016, 09:21 AM
hpapad01
Instructor

Originally Posted by North Shore 911
I've been having a similar problem with my front windows (not always returning to the fully-up position when closing my top) on my 2010 C4S Cab. I've not used Gummi Pfledge on either this or my 2012 Cayenne S, but would this potentially solve my front window problems on my 997.2 Cab as well?
It will certainly help regardless. I've been using it for many years on all my cars and it keeps the rubber flexible and looking good.

Not sure if it will help your front window issue as there is no rubber piece on the vertical side as it is on the rear windows.
Old 11-28-2016, 03:52 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

The Gummi may help keep the rubber soft but I don't think it has anything to do with the windows coming up partially

The issue with the windows happens infrequently and there doesn't seem to be any specific reason for it ie it happens to me once or twice a year. I just hold the window switch in the drivers location for the window that is affected for 30 secs (or the front switch if that is affected). Hold it when its done for 30 secs and 30 secs when all the way up

Works for me but give it a try
Old 11-28-2016, 04:29 PM
hpapad01
Instructor

The Gummi may help keep the rubber soft but I don't think it has anything to do with the windows coming up partially

The issue with the windows happens infrequently and there doesn't seem to be any specific reason for it ie it happens to me once or twice a year. I just hold the window switch in the drivers location for the window that is affected for 30 secs (or the front switch if that is affected). Hold it when its done for 30 secs and 30 secs when all the way up

Thank you for detail explanation. I will give it a try next time it happens.
Old 11-28-2016, 04:51 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^^ This is what has worked for me in the past (997.2). Sometimes the window stop position memory becomes corrupted (e.g. closing the top on a titled or inclined hill may put a bind on a window and stop it from properly closing). If this is the case, I find a nice level surface and reset the window close stop position for the affected window using the above procedure. It has solved the problem for me every time. Hope it will work for you too.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:22 PM
hpapad01
Instructor

Originally Posted by stronbl
^^^^ This is what has worked for me in the past (997.2). Sometimes the window stop position memory becomes corrupted (e.g. closing the top on a titled or inclined hill may put a bind on a window and stop it from properly closing). If this is the case, I find a nice level surface and reset the window close stop position for the affected window using the above procedure. It has solved the problem for me every time. Hope it will work for you too.
Thank for your reply. Yes, I'm aware of the level condition. It definitely has happened on level ground, however, I was not aware of the reset function. I will try if it happens again.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:57 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The first thing to check is to make sure the seals are not dried out. That is what usually causes the rear windows to not operate correctly. A quick and easy fix. If that doesn't work, move on to resetting the regulator. If that doesn't work, replace the regulator.

Looks like using a lubricant helped the OP. Living in a dry climate, I'm used to this problem. Hopefully that is all he needed to do.
Old 11-18-2020, 09:58 AM
Eddie DeSousa
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
I am having same problem with my rear quarter windows on my 2006, 911 carrera. Most of the times now when roof goes up, the back windows start to go up but it feels like they sense something is not right and they go back down a little, not all the way. I end up having to help it, by putting my fingers on the rubber and pulliing it up all the way to close position.
I am reading on this thread about Gummi Pfledge, where exactly would I spray the liquid, and does it help, or does anyone having any other suggestions?
Thanks
Old 11-18-2020, 10:19 AM
lexhair
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

Odd about the 30 second hold. The manual in my 997.2 describes the recalibration as only requiring a single press when fully up/down rather than a 30 second hold. I'm sure the 30 second hold probably works as well but I can report that the single press works for me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cabriolet closing... rear windows do not close all the way up