Full driving review of DSC Sport Suspension Module on my 997.2

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 04:53 AM
dc2000
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Full driving review of DSC Sport Suspension Module on my 997.2

Hello Rennlisters,

I recently installed the DSC Sport suspension control module on my 2010 Porsche Carrera S. During my canyon driving, I didn't like how the stock suspension handled road imperfections, especially in the corners. I felt the car was getting unsettled. So, I decided to give the DSC Sport solution a try. It works by using the vehicle's sensor data to actively adjust the dampening.

Performance: Before testing the module, I did a few runs down one of my favorite canyon roads with both PASM set to normal and sport to get a baseline. Both mods performed well, however, I could feel some body roll and push towards the rear end during sharp switchbacks.

With the DSC module set to normal, I was extremely shocked with how the vehicle handled. In the first turn, turn-in was much sharper. It felt like the front dampers softened to help the nose rotate. It really felt like the car had torque vectoring. The car also was much more composed in the sharp switchbacks.

In DSC Sport mode, the suspension was noticeably firmer. Turn-in felt more similar to the stock PASM module, but body roll and weight transfer was noticeably better. Overall Sport mode felt great, but normal mode felt perfect for the particular road I was on.

Comfort: Comfort improvement was night and day. The car felt so much more refined. In normal driving, it soaked up road imperfections nicely. In the bumpy corners, the chassis never felt unsettled and the tires maintained constant contact with the pavement. The vehicle just felt more surefooted, which improved my confidence.

Installation: This so far is my favorite suspension mod because it's so easy to install. Just unclip your stock PASM control unit under the glovebox and replace it with the DSC module. Once I located the stock PASM unit and the retaining clip, it took me less than 1 minute to swap it out.

Overall: At $1,200, the DSC Sport module is on the pricey end, but cheap compared to other suspension mods. I love this mod because it doesn't make the car feel aftermarket, improves handling drastically, and while making the suspension more refined. It simply does a much better job than the stock unit at actively controlling the dampers to give you comfort and performance. You can even tune the maps.

Well, I wanted to share my experience in case anyone else is considering this mod. You can check out my driving review on my YouTube channel for more info and video proof of how much better the car handled road imperfections:

The following users liked this post:
MightyHawk (09-20-2020)
Old 11-12-2016, 10:33 AM
cool flash
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like a really useful piece of kit! Something that I have been wanting for my car.

I wonder why Porsche didnt think of that.

Regards

CF
Old 11-12-2016, 01:11 PM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Ugh... Add another item to the long list of mods I want... (And this from a guy who swore he wanted to keep his car as stock as possible!)
Old 11-12-2016, 01:59 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

I'm guessing the DSC box has a more powerful processor and memory than the OEM controller and took more time to program. Porsche probably thought they spent enough costs on the R and D and supplier and decided it was good enough. I would think they also bought a DSC box to see what's in it.
Old 11-12-2016, 02:17 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Anyone install this on a 997.1? I understand you need a 3rd sensor (I think) and wondered what the complexity was for the installation and the cost to do a full install?

Thanks
Old 11-12-2016, 02:47 PM
Louis de Funes
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
Anyone install this on a 997.1? I understand you need a 3rd sensor (I think) and wondered what the complexity was for the installation and the cost to do a full install?

Thanks

that would be interesting to know

TAG
Old 11-12-2016, 03:31 PM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the review, I aim to install one on my 997.1 C4S this winter (aka blue skies, 70 degrees in the sun so not too hot) along with the 3D sensor.
Old 11-12-2016, 03:43 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Backmarker
Thanks for the review, I aim to install one on my 997.1 C4S this winter (aka blue skies, 70 degrees in the sun so not too hot) along with the 3D sensor.
Where did you get the install instructions for 3rd sensor and I assume you can just get this at DSC? Is it a diy or you having someone do it?
Thanks
Old 11-12-2016, 03:45 PM
Tom Feldmann
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice write up! This mod is definitely on my list. I'll need the extra accelerometer since I have a .1 but DSC Sport shows that only taking about an hour to install.

Oh btw...Backmarker...
Originally Posted by Backmarker
winter (aka blue skies, 70 degrees in the sun so not too hot)
I hate you...
Old 11-12-2016, 05:54 PM
cool flash
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wonder what the response rate of the PASM dampers is. I think it would have to be really high in order for the dsc module to best effectively.

CF
Old 11-12-2016, 07:15 PM
dc2000
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by cool flash
I wonder what the response rate of the PASM dampers is. I think it would have to be really high in order for the dsc module to best effectively.

CF
I'm not sure, but I can feel the DSC module adjusting the dampers. The stock PASM unit just feels like you have two static damper settings.
Old 11-12-2016, 10:08 PM
secondshot
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

great review. I just added this to my car too. I believe this to be transformative. I add aftermarket exhaust (FVD) which added life to the back end from a sound perspective. The DSC makes the car much more compliant. In the regular mode, you can feel a huge difference. My wife, who loves the car , also mentioned that it felt much more comfortable. This is not scientific. But, i didn't tell her what i did, just asked if she "noticed" anything different. We have lots of bumps in DC.
Old 11-13-2016, 07:18 AM
MaximumA
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is on my list. If anyone is planning to arrange a group buy, I'll be happy to buy myself a Christmas present!
Old 11-13-2016, 09:18 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1

Thanks
I believe Comanche_699 DIYed this so you may want to ping hime for details.
Old 11-13-2016, 10:09 AM
motopix
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Installing the 3rd sensor is easy. TPC/DSC will provide you with instructions. It's a little nerve wracking to splice into the harness but it's very clear which wires you need.

Quick Reply: Full driving review of DSC Sport Suspension Module on my 997.2