Sponsored by:

Full driving review of DSC Sport Suspension Module on my 997.2

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 10:52 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 91 Posts

Describe "floatiness." The normal drive is softer, less jarring on expansion joints, but firms up quickly with more aggressive throttle. With non-DSC, irregularities in the pavement in turns upsets the car a bit. With DSC, no upset at all. Confidence inspiring.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:58 AM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I guess it feels kinda floaty and soft until it hits a slight bump then bam. That's in regular mode. Sport mode is not useful unless autocrossing.

So so floatiness is mostly on the highway.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:02 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've never considered mine to be floaty in any sense. Always felt solid, but definitely jarring on any irregularities like expansion joints. BTW, I'm SPASM equipped.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:19 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
I've never considered mine to be floaty in any sense. Always felt solid, but definitely jarring on any irregularities like expansion joints. BTW, I'm SPASM equipped.
As you know, same here, Joe.

I believe that the SPASM does not exhibit any of the "floatiness" that we hear described on the forum, as well as from Wayne, and I'm looking forward to Wayne getting the DSC so we can put that issue to rest!
Old 01-21-2017, 02:25 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,152 Likes on 731 Posts

Mine is PASM, not SPASM (I have a nasty transition getting into my driveway).

I figure we'll flip flop my unit between David's and my car to get a couple opinions on a couple different (although both 2010 C4S) cars.

I look at how much better active suspension has gotten in the last 7 years (based on Pam's 2017 GLA45 AMG) and view DSC as a welcome update. But that's still expectation rather than experimentation 8)

Edit: lost track of floaty ... my biggest float problem isn't float, but corner loading as the motor weights the outside in turns and snaps back on exits. This has been a problem since I got the car with 35K miles (now going on 90K, 28 months later). A friend insists I must not be driving smoothly enough, but I'm doing the best I can. I'm hoping DSC is a solution. Otherwise the motor mounts come next.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:20 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,417 Likes on 859 Posts

Interesting how you describe that Wayne, I feel the same about my 2009 C2S ... I replaced the motor mounts with Porsche units.... maybe it helped.... but not really.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 01-22-2017, 09:43 AM
nikd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Online dealer?

Placed my order today. Delivery due next Tuesday. Installation and test weekend after Thanksgiving.
Did you buy online? If so what website?
Old 01-22-2017, 09:53 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

www.dscsport.com
Old 01-23-2017, 04:37 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 914 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by ChicagoSpeed996
I guess it feels kinda floaty and soft until it hits a slight bump then bam. That's in regular mode. Sport mode is not useful unless autocrossing.

So so floatiness is mostly on the highway.
Your description of the stock damping characteristics is spot on. The "float" is chassis oscillation at different frequencies from going over short duration bumps and from longer duration/highway speed road pitches, which can typically be prevented by adding rebound damping force. The "bam" is result of too much compression damping at or before the peak of a bump. The theme is too much compression and not enough rebound.

DSC will change all this. With DSC, the damping commands to the PASM shocks are actively changing for the driving conditions and to the drivers inputs at a rate of every 100 millisecond (every 6 millisecond with Tractive shocks). For reference, the average eye blink duration is 300-400 millisecond. And don't forget guys, with the purchase of DSC you not only get the sum of the product you get life time support on DSC software tuning should you want to make any custom changes to your DSC.

The stock 997.2 GTS and the SPASM(I030 option code) do have more rebound than other stock 997 configs. So they do have less float when driving leisurely but their damping commands aren't actively changing to the level of DSC. For these cars chassis stability, traction, and comfort are also improved with DSC. There are extremely positive reviews of DSC users on GTS/SPASM car here on rennlist.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:36 PM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Thank you Tom! I am excited to be getting the DSC!!!
Old 01-24-2017, 11:49 PM
MaximumA
Instructor

Me too. This is the big tick on the 911-to-do-list for 2017.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:31 AM
nikd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed

Arrived last night, put it in this morning. Took all of 10 minutes.

Drove around a bit this morning.. wow what a world of difference. I have the FF tranny inserts and the car felt very hard on the road. Now its a lot more driveable in normal traffic and you can feel the responsiveness kick in when you open the car up.

I would recommend. Feels like a more modern car.

997.2 c4s
Old 01-27-2017, 12:46 AM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
Your description of the stock damping characteristics is spot on. The "float" is chassis oscillation at different frequencies from going over short duration bumps and from longer duration/highway speed road pitches, which can typically be prevented by adding rebound damping force. The "bam" is result of too much compression damping at or before the peak of a bump. The theme is too much compression and not enough rebound.

DSC will change all this. With DSC, the damping commands to the PASM shocks are actively changing for the driving conditions and to the drivers inputs at a rate of every 100 millisecond (every 6 millisecond with Tractive shocks). For reference, the average eye blink duration is 300-400 millisecond. And don't forget guys, with the purchase of DSC you not only get the sum of the product you get life time support on DSC software tuning should you want to make any custom changes to your DSC.

The stock 997.2 GTS and the SPASM(I030 option code) do have more rebound than other stock 997 configs. So they do have less float when driving leisurely but their damping commands aren't actively changing to the level of DSC. For these cars chassis stability, traction, and comfort are also improved with DSC. There are extremely positive reviews of DSC users on GTS/SPASM car here on rennlist.
Tom, others -- OK, stupid question from a modding neophyte.
Is this "really" a materially useful mod for a low mile 997.2 ('10 C4S) cabriolet, manual, never-track, weekend fair weather car? I'm no slouch, the car is driven "at speed" when it's driven, but I will never track or autocross this thing. This is basically a nice-roads top down pleasure vehicle. Not a daily, and not a race car. (Oh and the car is lowered on Techarts...)

I'm NOT criticizing the tech, please understand -- from everything I've read it sounds great, just really trying to get to the heart of whether this makes sense for my car/driver "profile".

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:14 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Your use sounds like mine, but I think it depends on what you mean by 'the car is driven "at speed" ' I drive mine at (my) speed, but that may be different than yours. I feel the $1200 spent on the DSC was well worth it. The car is more compliant in normal driving, and is much more controlled in canyon-carving. Bumps in turns that would previously unsettle the car a bit no longer do so. A much confidence-inspiring mod, IMO.

Mine's a coupe, though, with SPASM, so lower, too. You might have a conversation with Comanche_699 who has a Cab.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:52 PM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Your use sounds like mine, but I think it depends on what you mean by 'the car is driven "at speed" ' I drive mine at (my) speed, but that may be different than yours. I feel the $1200 spent on the DSC was well worth it. The car is more compliant in normal driving, and is much more controlled in canyon-carving. Bumps in turns that would previously unsettle the car a bit no longer do so. A much confidence-inspiring mod, IMO.

Mine's a coupe, though, with SPASM, so lower, too. You might have a conversation with Comanche_699 who has a Cab.
Thanks -- appreciate that feedback. (And "at speed" for me means fast -- safely fast -- but like these cars were meant to be driven. I'm not testing the limits of adhesion on every corner, but I'm certainly not Sunday-driving it. Even on Sundays )

Quick Reply: Full driving review of DSC Sport Suspension Module on my 997.2