Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full driving review of DSC Sport Suspension Module on my 997.2

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 07:57 PM
Tom Feldmann
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know if you can read the accelerometer data provided by the DSC Sport 3-axis Accelerometer from the OBDII port once it's installed on a .1?

edit: using something like a Kiwi3 and Harry's Lap Timer to capture data.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:02 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Feldmann
Anyone know if you can read the accelerometer data provided by the DSC Sport 3-axis Accelerometer from the OBDII port once it's installed on a .1?

edit: using something like a Kiwi3 and Harry's Lap Timer to capture data.
There is a logging feature in the DSC software but it connects directly to the box via a mini-USB cable. The software itself is cumbersome to use so I highly doubt you would want to log data this way while on the track. It's useful for diagnosing problems and customizing your shock tables though.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:45 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

that a good question. pretty sure this new box has more brains to it and is more dynamically adaptive. however, will this have the effect of lesser lifetime from the dampers as tehy need to adjust more
Old 11-15-2016, 08:51 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Some answers to questions may be found in the official dsc sport discussion forum:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...ion-forum.html
Old 11-15-2016, 12:11 PM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

And, here's a bit more directly from Jordan this morning: "1. Yes, we will always do our best to get the word out about product promotions and any major news we feel our customers or potential customers should be aware of. I would also advise you and the Rennlist community interested in DSC to like us on Facebook and Instagram to stay informed on these matters. Also, 2017 will see a big increase in our email communications via e-newsletter. Right now, you can get on that subscriber list by filling out the contact form on the software download page. I will also be creating some other sign up forms in more accessible places for this. The email list will be a great source of information moving forward.

2. We have not seen any signs of accelerated wear on the dampers, OEM or Tractive, due to the dynamic adjustments.

3. We do have the following two Canadian dealers:

Braidan Motorsport - Ontario, Canada
Tunerworks - Calgary, Canada"
Old 11-15-2016, 11:47 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 90 Posts

Placed my order today. Delivery due next Tuesday. Installation and test weekend after Thanksgiving.
Old 11-15-2016, 11:52 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

I may drive up to TPC and get one too.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:08 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 90 Posts

Have received my DSC, but haven't installed it yet. Questions for a '12 GTS, Sport Chrono Plus, PDK.
1. Is DSC Normal mode on with the turn of the key? That is, I do NOT push any buttons.
2. If that is the case, how do I activate DSC Sport?
3. If I activate DSC Normal by having to push the damper button, how do I activate DSC Sport?

BE NICE!!
Old 11-30-2016, 11:28 PM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 122 Posts

And quick question, for those of us without PASM (7.2 C2S) is it easily doable? I believe the .2's have (?) the accelerometer?
Old 11-30-2016, 11:59 PM
Joe Lapin
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Last season, I installed the DSC module in my 09 C2S, and have had 25 glorious track days with it since! I was instantly amazed at the poise and stance that the car assumed. It felt so much more PLANTED!

Originally, I had planned sway bars, lowering springs, and shocks. to improve my stance for the track. This clever device, though certainly not as dramatic, still made a noticeable difference. The main benefit is a softer, more compliant ride in 'normal' mode, and a stiffer, more direct feel in 'sport'.

I highly recommend this device, as it is far more cost effective than all of the mechanical improvements I mention above.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:55 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 913 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
Have received my DSC, but haven't installed it yet. Questions for a '12 GTS, Sport Chrono Plus, PDK.
1. Is DSC Normal mode on with the turn of the key? That is, I do NOT push any buttons.
2. If that is the case, how do I activate DSC Sport?
3. If I activate DSC Normal by having to push the damper button, how do I activate DSC Sport?

BE NICE!!
Answers:

1. Usually when a user first installs a DSC it is in Normal mode(the LED on the button is not lit). But don't be alarmed if the DSC happens to be in Sport mode(LED lit). The reason for this is because we test the DSC modules before shipping them out. Sometimes we forget to switch the mode to Normal after testing in Sport mode. No big deal. Just push the button to select the desired mode. There's no harm in either mode.

2. To activate DSC Sport mode simply just push the button that has the shock absorber symbol on it. When the LED on the button is lit the DSC is on Sport mode. The dash will display Sport as well, for a few seconds.

3. Push the button again to go from Sport to Normal mode. On a 997.2 that has engine/PDK "PLUS" mode option, the only time that this not applicable is when the engine/PDK is in PLUS mode. When the engine/PDK is the PLUS mode the DSC will be in Sport mode in order to match the higher revving and more aggressive shifting nature of the PLUS mode.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:51 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikes70
And quick question, for those of us without PASM (7.2 C2S) is it easily doable? I believe the .2's have (?) the accelerometer?
Yes, it is very doable. DSC offers a SA(Stand Alone) package. SA package consist of a DSC module, a simple wiring harness that connects the DSC module to the four shocks, and to the car's CAN-bus. The connectors for the DSC module and for the shocks are OEM-type plug-in connectors. There are only five wires to hook up from the harness to the car, the wires are:
1. 12-volt power source
2. Ignition switch
3. Ground
4. CAN Hi
5. CAN Lo

The wiring is very straight forward for anyone with basic wiring skill. Here's an image of the DSC SA module and wiring harness:

Image of OEM-spec plug-in connectors on the DSC SA harness to plug into electronically-controlled shocks:

The wiring harness even has a built-in connector to add an optional mode switch, it can be an aftermarket switch or factory switch panel.

The installation of electronically-controlled shocks/struts/coilovers are no different than for non-electronic. The installation time of the wiring harness is mostly consumed by concealing the wire loom under the carpeting and trim panels on a street car with full interior. For a DIY'er who knows their way around the interior pieces of their car the wiring can be a fun DIY weekend project. In contrast, a race car with stripped out interior the wiring harness can be installed in one hour. The DSC SA module and wiring harness makes it possible for a DIY'er who wants the latest electronic damping technology(that's user tune-able) on any non-PASM car and on any pre-PASM generation car(yes, even 964/993/996/986 and restos) in a streamlined package.

On a 997.1 and 997.2, after installing DSC SA system with optional mode switch the dash will display Normal and Sport exactly like the factory PASM does when switching modes!

Note that on a 997.2 the factory accelerometer already reads 3-axis so not need to install a DSC accelerometer on .2 cars. On 997.1 the factory accelerometer only reads 2-axis so a DSC 3-axis accelerometer is required on .1 cars. For .1 cars the DSC SA harness does have a plug-in connector for DSC 3-axis accelerometer.

Below are the current shocks/struts/coilovers that are compatible with DSC SA system-
OEM PASM (which is made by Bilstein)
Bilstein B6 Damptronic
Bilstein B8 Damptronic
Bilstein B16 Damptronic
Tractive DDA RT
Tractive DDA RTX
We expect others shock companies to offer electronic shocks in the near future which be PASM-compatible and DSC-compatible.

So, yes, very doable! We have done DSC SA installations on 997 street cars, 997 Cup cars, 987's, 996 GT3's, 996 Turbo's, and soon to do 993/964.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:48 PM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 122 Posts

Great write up and response Tom, thanx!!

so for my non-pasm "S", the DSC system AND a shock upgrade (i dont think i have electronic shocks now?)not sure..
Old 12-05-2016, 12:17 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Great write up and response Tom, thanx!!
My pleasure. Glad it was helpful.

so for my non-pasm "S", the DSC system AND a shock upgrade (i dont think i have electronic shocks now?)not sure..
Non-PASM cars don't have electronic shocks. To convert your car to DSC SA system the most economical way is to find a set of good condition used stock PASM shocks from Carrera/S/GTS or GT3. Next step up is a set of Bilstein Damptronic B16 coilovers. B16 Damptronic cost only marginally more than PSS10. Then there's the top-of-the-line Tractive DDA electronic coilovers. The DSC system is compatible with all of above electronic shocks so if one started out using stock PASM shocks it is easy to upgrade to other shocks/coilovers.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:19 AM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Does the DSC module get rid of the floatiness of normal PASM mode?

Quick Reply: Full driving review of DSC Sport Suspension Module on my 997.2