Sponsored by:

997.2 Spare Solution?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 08:27 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepow
Are there steel belts in the soft sidewall near the rim? Maybe I need to add a pair of sheet metal shears to my kit!
Along the rim runs the bead wire(s), you'd never cut through it. Bring a Sawzall - not joking!
Old 10-28-2016, 08:42 AM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by mk85911
I won't travel too far from home in my 997.2 because of the lack of spare tire. I will travel further in my 1985 911 because it has an inflatable spare tire, and the owners manual specifies that the procedure for a rear tire flat is to move the good front tire to the rear and install the spare on the front. I have done this many years ago.
I've been on 8 hour drives from home with my 997, to Tampa and Cinci, plus many other long drives (Nashville, RTP, etc). Getting a spare is not a big deal and - if not having one hinders your enjoyment of the car - then you're crazy not to sort it out - IMHO
Old 10-28-2016, 08:55 AM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

^^ None of those areas - Tampa, Cinci, Nashville - are truly out in the "middle of nowhere". Try crossing some remote stretches of Nevada, Arizona or Utah without a spare (and spotty cell phone coverage) and you'll feel a little naked.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:01 AM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KNS
^^ None of those areas - Tampa, Cinci, Nashville - are truly out in the "middle of nowhere". Try crossing some remote stretches of Nevada, Arizona or Utah without a spare (and spotty cell phone coverage) and you'll feel a little naked.
I don't think you get it. Or maybe you didn't read my earlier posts. I have a spare and wouldn't take a long trip without one. Or a short trip for that matter.

My point is that it's not so hard to get a spare. For those that are concerned (me included), get a spare! They are not so hard to find, and they're not too expensive. Quit whining and take some action.

If it doesn't bother you to not have a spare, then stop reading this thread and move on.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:32 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by jennifer911
Johnireland, the very short super thick, stiff sidewalls of a Porsche style tire should make them impervious to a sidewall blowout, in fact the larger the wheel size, the shorter the tire sidewall. This may make for more curb rash etc on the wheels, but the tire sidewalls will be pretty stout. I’ve never heard of a sidewall blowout in a modern low aspect ratio tire, but I guess anything’s possible. Also, there is probably more to this story because a ‘little rock’ couldn’t cause this.

Sidewall blowout with my 40 aspect non runflat MB. They do happen.
Attached Images  
Old 10-28-2016, 12:46 PM
jennifer911
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 58 Posts

Wow Mjs, that’s shocking, no roadside flat repair for that! However, I don’t think tire manufacturers would technically call that a ‘blow out’. Evidence from that picture shows the inside of the carcass chewed up from the inside-out for the full circumference. My boyfriend’s sister drove his SUV with a flat rear tire a short distance. Luckily this SUV was equipped with a spare so we put it on and I dropped the wheel off at the tire shop for repair. The tire guy showed me that the inside of the tire was abraded all the way around (needed a new tire). He pointed to another wheel with a tire that looked just like your tire and explained what will ultimately happen if a tire is driven flat or with extremely low air pressure.
Old 10-28-2016, 02:02 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

Hit a NJ typical pothole in the winter and the sidewall blew. Chose to ride on it for 1 mile to a safe place. Runflats would have been a much better result.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:50 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jack667
I don't think you get it. Or maybe you didn't read my earlier posts. I have a spare and wouldn't take a long trip without one. Or a short trip for that matter.

My point is that it's not so hard to get a spare. For those that are concerned (me included), get a spare! They are not so hard to find, and they're not too expensive. Quit whining and take some action.

If it doesn't bother you to not have a spare, then stop reading this thread and move on.

My comment about long trips without a spare was a general one. And as I also stated in an earlier post, my daily BMW now has a spare in the trunk and my old 911s both came with one from the factory.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:10 PM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KNS
My comment about long trips without a spare was a general one. And as I also stated in an earlier post, my daily BMW now has a spare in the trunk and my old 911s both came with one from the factory.
It certainly seemed like less of a general comment and more like you were specifically addressing me, since you mentioned the trips that I identified in my post. Whatever...
Old 10-30-2016, 06:50 AM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I think it is great that folks want to be prepared as much as possible. I'm a bit more risk tolerant and weighing the risk of a non-reparable flat v the loss of space from carrying a spare is not worth it to me. I have only had one flat that occurred that needed repairs which could not be performed at my home in 20 years. Plus and most importantly I have no desire to drive with an inflatable spare on the front and possibly my front wheel mounted in the rear. I'd call Tire Rack and order tires with express shipping and have them installed at the closest installer. Even the DC Porsche dealers don't keep my tires in stock. If I really get worried about cell coverage I'd get a satallige cell phone. I do carry my floor jack and a good tire repair kit when doing road trips so I can fix a typical puncture. BTW how many people have replaced their can of tire goo since it has a limited shelf life?

Last edited by user 72902; 10-30-2016 at 08:04 AM.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:32 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Your more likely to get a nail than a blowout. Plug kit with foam fill should be good to get you to safety.
Old 10-30-2016, 09:59 AM
patriot993
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by jkw911
BTW how many people have replaced their can of tire goo since it has a limited shelf life?
Just did this about 3 weeks or so ago after learning about the shelf life of the tire goo in a thread on RL. Your post is a great reminder for folks....thanks!
Old 10-30-2016, 11:02 AM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by patriot993
Just did this about 3 weeks or so ago after learning about the shelf life of the tire goo in a thread on RL. Your post is a great reminder for folks....thanks!
Old 10-31-2016, 01:17 AM
Own Goal
Team Owner

Received 2,322 Likes on 1,395 Posts

Well, to put a bow on this thread I started, got back this afternoon. 360 miles each way. 4 rounds of golf and good food and friends. Maybe carry a spare on this trip next year.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:25 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by KNS
Along the rim runs the bead wire(s), you'd never cut through it. Bring a Sawzall - not joking!

Is it necessary to cut the bead - the idea being to get rid of enough tire to make the wheel transportable? I think cutting the rather soft sidewall would not be so hard and leave an inch or so of rubber. But, I confess, I have never done it.

Quick Reply: 997.2 Spare Solution?