Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 Spare Solution?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 01:59 PM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 58 Posts

As a couple of others have said above, I also have a 996 spare in my frunk, along with the jack that came with it. I keep lug wrench stuff there too, so there's very little room for anything else. Groceries, etc, all go in the back seat.

I've been carting that spare around for 6 years now and haven't had to use it yet, but I do have the peace of mind!
Old 10-24-2016, 03:01 PM
jennifer911
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 58 Posts

Yes, I guess the Scotch tasting at our place last night had something to do with my impertinence re tire blow outs. In my region of Canada the term blowout typically refers to a small sidewall failure that in the old days allowed the innertube to budge out like an aneurysm and blow out with a loud pop. I’ve had many of these on my bicycle.

Here on the temperate west coast we don’t have winter ravaged roads that form huge wheel busting potholes. Ultra low profile tires fare much worse (tire bead becomes dislodged etc) than old school tire/wheel diameter sizes.

I do wish we had a spare tire for our imminent two month holiday to S California. We have the worst of all worlds, center locks, no spare, the two of us, my dog Sadie and all our gear makes for a heavily loaded 911 with every inch packed solid. Having no rear seats (GTS) helps. My boyfriend has the attitude that “Providence protects, fools, babies and the United States of America” but I worry over these things.

We have a ‘no Interstate rule’, two lane blacktop only, so if we end up stranded, hopefully with a scrap of cell coverage, I will send out a tearful SOS and hope someone here can help.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:50 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

Road trip with golf clubs? I'm assuming golf trip for two.
Where would you put the tire you have taken off, as I mentioned above.

No way your going to leave a bag of clubs on the side of the road. You love your clubs.

No way you are going to leave that Wheel on the side of the road. You love that wheel, though flat.

That leaves your golf partner on the side of the road. If married you better have your attorney on speed dial, and the rest of your affairs in order.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:16 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepow
I got the Suncoast 997.2 spare kit after than experience. What to do with the take-off tire if it happens again? Pretty sure as soft as the tires are, I can just cut the rubber off around the sidewall and take the wheel. Will sort that out if it happens but at least I won't be stuck on the side of the road.
You're forgetting about the steel belts.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:18 PM
Surfer2001
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I keep this (Slime 70004) 48 Piece Tire Repair Kit & Jack in my car. Amazon is awesome. Also AAA membership with unlimited towing.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:40 PM
Own Goal
Team Owner

Received 2,322 Likes on 1,395 Posts

Well, solo. Clubs in back. Meeting up with a group from as far away as Topika. Got a good pump, a 4 way tire tool, my aluminum sissors Jack from my 951, a big can of fix a flat, a plug kit and the location of a Discout Tire store every 50-75 miles along my route.
Coming home only concerned. I've got a get up 5:30, drive almost 6 hours and make first T. Don't want to be late jacking around.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:05 PM
ecostellodo
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Name:  586A085C.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  58.8 KB

Size difference between 996 collapse spare and boxster spare
Old 10-26-2016, 03:07 AM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
Road trip with golf clubs? I'm assuming golf trip for two.
Where would you put the tire you have taken off, as I mentioned above.

No way your going to leave a bag of clubs on the side of the road. You love your clubs.

No way you are going to leave that Wheel on the side of the road. You love that wheel, though flat.

That leaves your golf partner on the side of the road. If married you better have your attorney on speed dial, and the rest of your affairs in order.
You could bungie cord your flat tire/wheel to the roof (you used to see that often in rallys). On the spare you will have to drive at reduced speeds. And a blanket or towel should protect the roof paint from scratches.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:09 AM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack667
As a couple of others have said above, I also have a 996 spare in my frunk, along with the jack that came with it. I keep lug wrench stuff there too, so there's very little room for anything else. Groceries, etc, all go in the back seat.

I've been carting that spare around for 6 years now and haven't had to use it yet, but I do have the peace of mind!
Have you actually mounted the 996 spare on your car and driven a few miles to see how it works?
Old 10-26-2016, 10:58 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by johnireland
Have you actually mounted the 996 spare on your car and driven a few miles to see how it works?
I'd even want to make sure it's inflated properly (for the non-collapsible spare). My spare has 13 year-old air in it - I better check.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:01 AM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

the collapsable one is the only way you can get it in the trunk. It works if it fits on the car, you dont have to test drive it to see how it feels
Old 10-26-2016, 08:31 PM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by johnireland
I can't remember, actually. But I'll try to remember to try it our, next I'm changing things around.

I swap tires quite often for the track, and I just ordered in some new front rotors that I need to install.

Even if I did try it before, it would be prudent to try again 6 years later...
Old 10-27-2016, 01:37 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by OKB
the collapsable one is the only way you can get it in the trunk. It works if it fits on the car, you dont have to test drive it to see how it feels
You can fit either of the tires shown above in the frunk - I have both, have mounted both to test them out. The collapsible can sit upright but is wider, the inflated one needs to tilt from front to back, but is narrower. I keep the collapsed one in the car (which can also be installed into the rear seat with the factory seat holder accessory). I can still fit a decent amount of groceries, beer, or photo gear in there even with the tire.

So I have that, the jack and wheel change kit with tire hangers, the goop, the pump, wheel chocks, and a plug kit which is no good for sidewall damage.

Here's the Suncoast kit - http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/997STK.html - you can cobble a lot of this together off of eBay if you are patient and save a good bit of money. Interestingly they also have a 991 kit.

Last edited by stevepow; 10-27-2016 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:43 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by KNS
You're forgetting about the steel belts.
Are there steel belts in the soft sidewall near the rim? Maybe I need to add a pair of sheet metal shears to my kit!
Old 10-27-2016, 02:35 PM
mk85911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 92 Posts

I won't travel too far from home in my 997.2 because of the lack of spare tire. I will travel further in my 1985 911 because it has an inflatable spare tire, and the owners manual specifies that the procedure for a rear tire flat is to move the good front tire to the rear and install the spare on the front. I have done this many years ago.

Quick Reply: 997.2 Spare Solution?