Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 Style Projector LED Headlights for 997 - Product Tear Down and Review - Pic Heavy

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 06:09 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Received 429 Likes on 173 Posts
Default 991 Style Projector LED Headlights for 997 - Product Tear Down and Review - Pic Heavy

After much deliberation I decided to try out the aftermarket 991 LED style headlights for the 997.
These lights are available from many sources online around the world. It seems they are all made by the same manufacturer although I cannot verify this 100%.

It appears the primary distributor for these in the US is Spyder Auto, who have unfortunately been rather uncooperative in dealing with the issues described below which were conveyed to them about a month back.

I’m not a fan of using aftermarket parts, except in rare cases. I’ll talk more about this at the end of this post, because I know it is sometimes a contentious point.

There are specific models for vehicles with Halogen lights and some specifically for HID equipped vehicles, and they are available with black and silver internal housings.

You will also find that there is a lot of conflicting information regarding which model years 997 they will fit. If you go by the listings you might assume that these are not compatible with the 997.2. However after reviewing the Porsche PET diagrams it became clear that the units should work with 997.2 fitted with standard headlights (but not bi-xenon optioned vehicles). (note you have to move the HID bulb, motor and control module from your OEM lights into these units.)

I ordered the lights from CarPart4U on Amazon, and I must say I was very impressed with their service and support when it cam to handling the returns of one of the sets. I ordered the Black HID version as shown here.

http://spyderauto.com/product.php?mo...-DRL-LED-Black

The parts arrived very well packaged as you can see below.
The lights actually look really good overall, but the quality of the body housing and the sealing mechanism at the rear is not at the same level of quality as OEM, but it is acceptable.

Installation of the OEM parts into the new housing was pretty easy.

Unfortunately on close inspection I noticed some defects in the LED ring as can be seen in the pictures below.

I figured I got a bad set so I ordered a second set which arrived a few days later. Unfortunately that second set had the same issue in the LED ring, and even worse it had some serious defects in the chrome paint/plating on the Lens housings as can be seen in the pics below. I returned this second set back to the supplier. without any issues

At this point I started to look around to see if there were similar reported issues, and if this was due to some fundamental design or assembly flaw.

I've subsequently seen other pics online like the one below which show exactly the same issue on another vehicle.

I really didn’t feel like trying my luck with a 3rd set, and since I like to take things apart I figured I’d try to see what the issue was and how it could be fixed, knowing full well that I would be voiding the warranty and passing the point of no return.

I tested the lights for a few days to ensure the light beam and distribution was good, and the motor function worked fine. The only issue was some condensation build up occurred one night, but I figured that could be resolved also.

Another observation is that I am not sure why the manufacturer chose to make the LED ring with a white backing, as this is not really consistent with the OEM Porsche lights. I have the OEM PDLS LED headlights on my Panamera GTS and the LED ring has more of a silver backing to it. The issue (in my opinion) is that the white backing makes the LED ring really exaggerated against the black housing (probably not as visible with the silver housing version).

Nevertheless, I decided I would take the plunge and pull the units apart.

Using a heat gun to soften the adhesive, I was able to gradually pull the front lenses off. This was NOT an easy process by any means.

Once I got the units open it became very clear what the issue was.
there are a couple of sharp edges in the black housing that holds the LED ring, and those edges cause the white paint on the back of the LED ring to scrape off, presumably during assembly initially and then gradually more and more over time as any harsh motion occurs (whether during shipping, installing, or possibly even over time when driving). It also may be possible that this rings are installed before the paint is 100% cured.

Below you can see the internal housing and affected areas.

The bottom line is that it leaves unsightly issues in areas of the lights which are are visible. Granted, these may not be visible when standing a few yards away, but a product should simply not be made this way, especially if you’re going to put it on a Porsche.

This issue could have been easily avoided by applying some backing tape to the friction areas where the light ring rests. I first attempted to touch up the damaged paint areas, but it was still noticeable through the front of the LED ring.

What I really wanted to do was strip the white paint off the rear of the LED ring and apply completely new paint, but this just wasn’t an option as it would likely damage the finish/surface of the ring. I reached out in parallel to the distributors to see if I could get replacement unpainted rings but they have not been of any assistance at all.

Having come this far I decided on a different route. I had some Porsche GT Silver spray paint left over from a previous project so I decided to do a few tests by spraying some clear plastic to determine how much I could spray the LED rings and still have the LED’s shine through.
Once I got the technique right I went ahead and sprayed the LED rings. (again - point of no return…)

The result was very nice in that the LED rings now blend more nicely with the rest of the housing, and the LED’s still shine through quite nicely. It also helped to make the 4 LED points stand out a little better when compared with the original setup. the downside is that the light in the rest of the ring is a little more subdued, but it is a compromise I can live with, as I didn’t really buy the lights for the LED ring, but rather for the cleaner overall look they would give the front of the car. In my personal opinion the OEM headlight reflectors detract a little from the otherwise clean lines and look of the 911.

The condensation issue also went away after I resealed the lenses onto the units. I guess they were not sealed very well during manufacturing.

I’m still trying to figure out how to source replacement rings so I can try and paint the rear/reflector portion the way it should have been done to begin with. if anyone knows a better contact (distributor or manufacturer) I’d be most appreciated.

Finished Result:
(note: Ill try to get some better comparison pics next to the Panamera GTS. The light color is not bad at all, but the LED's have much lower intensity than on the OEM lights. My next project will be to look at upgrading the LED's)

In summary, I think is a real pity that such an avoidable issue exists with these lights. I think if you have the silver housings it may not be noticeable at all (or at least not enough to be a concern), but with the black housings it is a real issue if you want a well finished product. Hopefully the manufacturer or distributor steps up and offers replacement or spare parts. I'd happily pay for new rings that I can paint myself and reinstall.

The lights give a nice clean look to the car and are actually so discreet that many people don't even realize they are different or non-stock (even when displaying my car at the last Caffeine & Exotics show).

Last edited by EMC2; 09-30-2016 at 09:27 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by EMC2:
ATX_Native (06-29-2021), ElectricChair (10-28-2020), GTSence (07-25-2021), phizzak (10-22-2023), tegraphile (08-18-2021)
Old 09-30-2016, 06:21 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 225 Posts

Very nice, thanks for the post and pix. I am liking the black internal housing more & more, it makes the car looks very clean. Great Job.....

I only wish I have your skills and patience to do the same.

Old 09-30-2016, 06:26 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,243 Likes on 780 Posts

Wow, thanks for that detailed evaluation.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:28 AM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 131 Posts

Great review..

It's a shame such a nice product is assembled so poorly from the manufacturer.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:22 AM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

My pleasure - hope it helps others who might be considering the same.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:00 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,243 Likes on 780 Posts

The photo next to the Panamera is interesting. I would have never guessed that the aftermarket LEDs would be so much dimmer than the OE lights.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:56 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dennis C
The photo next to the Panamera is interesting. I would have never guessed that the aftermarket LEDs would be so much dimmer than the OE lights.
Yes. Although I didn't pull the LED's out of the Spyder lights, it does not look like they are orientated in such a way that the beam is pointing out (i.e toward the road). It looks like it was arranged (1) to illuminate the whole light ring (2) to exhibit slightly brighter areas in the 4 points where they are located.

I'm sure a lot more engineering went into the OEM lights to provide really bright DRL points of light (4 per headlight) whilst also evenly illuminating the light ring. It's possible that the OEM lights use dedicated LED's for the DRL points and additional LED's to illuminate the ring (but I'm not about to pull those units apart to check ).
Old 10-02-2016, 07:17 PM
Wolfk
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

If I understand correctly, EMC2 sprayed a coat of paint over the LED's, thereby slightly dimming their light output.
We installed a set of these lights in a customer car last year, did not notice the paint issues that EMC2 experienced. However, we did have problem with one of the wiring harness, wires were not installed in the proper order into the plug at the Spyder factory. Also had an issue with the locking mechanism that locks the headlight housing into the car, unbeknownst to us we did not have the headlight locked in, customer ran the car at triple digit speeds and the headlight assembly flew out. They did look good while they were in there.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:55 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wolfk
If I understand correctly, EMC2 sprayed a coat of paint over the LED's, thereby slightly dimming their light output.
We installed a set of these lights in a customer car last year, did not notice the paint issues that EMC2 experienced. However, we did have problem with one of the wiring harness, wires were not installed in the proper order into the plug at the Spyder factory. Also had an issue with the locking mechanism that locks the headlight housing into the car, unbeknownst to us we did not have the headlight locked in, customer ran the car at triple digit speeds and the headlight assembly flew out. They did look good while they were in there.
Wolfe you are correct. The silver paint definitely dimmed the overall effect a little as per my original post. However I did apply less paint over the 4 points where the LED's are compared to the rest of the ring.

Even before applying the paint the Spyder lights definitely did not have the same intensity LED's as can also be seen on the pic below posted by a 6Speed forum member (Hitman22) when he was testing his lights.

Also here is a pic directly from the manufacturer which shows that there is not the same level of definition on the 4 LED points as you get with OEM.

Below is another comparison pic at a different exposure which shows how the OEM lights have much more intensity at the 4 points. I will definitely be exploring options to try and improve the LED's in the Spyder housing.

Last edited by EMC2; 10-02-2016 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:30 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

It's been 2 months and no help whatsoever from the US Distributor. If anyone has a contact with the actual manufacturer, please let me know, as I'm still wanting to get hold of some unpainted rings so I can do the backing paint the way they should have been done to begin with.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:48 PM
Limey Chris
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick side question. I have a black 997.2 just like yours and I really like the stance and look of yours.
Could you tell me what your suspension, wheel and offset set up is. Looking for ideas for next spring!
Old 10-26-2016, 09:15 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Limey Chris
Quick side question. I have a black 997.2 just like yours and I really like the stance and look of yours.
Could you tell me what your suspension, wheel and offset set up is. Looking for ideas for next spring!
Hi Chris
No problem - here is a link to all my DIY's and other changes including suspension. Let me know if any questions remain.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post13515970
The following users liked this post:
phizzak (10-22-2023)
Old 10-26-2016, 09:21 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

wow, thats a lot of work and headache. Too bad some factory doesn't spend just a little extra care and make them without all the issues for people like you who really want them done right. Personally, I am not a huge fan of the 4 LEDs on the 991. Not sure why, but it just isn't something that appeals to me for whatever reason, but I know we all have different preferences. I like the simple single row of LEDs that the 997.2 has and wish Porsche would have stuck with that design as its trademark instead of changing all the time. (ie-I like how BMW has the angel eyes and sticks to that design as its signature, as opposed to changing every few years like Audi and the rest).
Old 10-27-2016, 08:52 PM
Surfer2001
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great post, beautiful finished product
Old 10-30-2016, 02:59 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rodH
wow, thats a lot of work and headache. Too bad some factory doesn't spend just a little extra care and make them without all the issues for people like you who really want them done right. Personally, I am not a huge fan of the 4 LEDs on the 991. Not sure why, but it just isn't something that appeals to me for whatever reason, but I know we all have different preferences. I like the simple single row of LEDs that the 997.2 has and wish Porsche would have stuck with that design as its trademark instead of changing all the time. (ie-I like how BMW has the angel eyes and sticks to that design as its signature, as opposed to changing every few years like Audi and the rest).
Yes I know what you mean. My primary issue was with the massive reflector area of the base OEM lights. The projectors (in black) just have a cleaner look to them imho. I considered leaving the ring LED's disconnected altogether, but the persistent side of me wants to make them look the way they should

Originally Posted by Surfer2001
Great post, beautiful finished product
Thanks Surfer

Quick Reply: 991 Style Projector LED Headlights for 997 - Product Tear Down and Review - Pic Heavy