want to fix interior - advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 08:34 PM
FranckDG
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default want to fix interior - advice needed

hi everyone,

I've had my 2005 911 S (midnight blue, tan interior) for well over a year now and to state the obvious, i absolutely love it! The previous owner did some damage to the interior that I never got around to fix it but I have decided it's time to take care of it! Believe it or not but this Porsche belonged to a semi-handicapped retiree for the 8 years before I bought it and he had trouble getting in and out of the car so he would sit on the side of the car and slide himself in (then out to get out). As a result, the seam of the driver seat is slightly used and I guess he kept scrapping his cane on the seat belt mount (see attached photos).

I am thinking that the damage to the seat can be fixed using some type of tint... Am I correct? Were would I fix such a tint that would exactly match the color?
For the seat belt mount, I think I can probably find a new or used one and install it myself... Any idea what that part is called and how easy it is to replace?

thanks in advance!

Franck-
Old 09-27-2016, 08:55 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

The seats can be dyed to match the leather color for very little cash. Find a local auto upholstery shop and ask them for a recommendation, or possibly one of the better local detailers. Or you could replace the outer section keeping in mind there might be leather color mismatches (997.521.141.00.FLH about $1000). It will require a reupholster to do it though. Or the entire chair can be redone (closer to $2K or more). Both replacement options can get expensive as you can see. Try suncoast for a material quote: http://www.suncoastparts.com/categor...teriorrsl.html

The trim by the seat belt is easily replaced, called a rosette. Driver's side is 997.555.061.00.5Z1 for you interior, about $25 shipped online if you shop around: http://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/oe...997555061005z1

edit: check the part numbers in PET - you didn't specify coupe/cab/targa
Old 09-27-2016, 09:11 PM
FranckDG
8th Gear

Awesome! Thanks for the advice. I am going to do this on the cheap first and see what it looks like before I start reupholstering.
My car is a coupe. what is PET?
Old 09-27-2016, 09:24 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

PET = Porsche Ersatz Teile Katalog = Genuine Parts Catalogue. It has all the part numbers for your car with exploded diagrams.

Download a PDF copy and save it to your local hard drive: http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf...97_KATALOG.pdf

Or go to a place like Pelican Parts to see online versions: http://www.pelicanparts.com/Porsche/index-SC.htm
This might be a better link for diagrams, but not the best prices: http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p..._911_parts.php

here's the diagram for the rosette, #22 in the picture: http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=807-05
Old 09-27-2016, 09:34 PM
Cbst09
Racer

Originally Posted by FranckDG
Awesome! Thanks for the advice. I am going to do this on the cheap first and see what it looks like before I start reupholstering.
My car is a coupe. what is PET?
If you are looking for a cheap fix to make the stitching wear less visible some have suggested using a sharpie to carefully color the stitching.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:35 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The following information is for my 2008 C4 with Sand Beige interior. If it is the same color code as a 2005 then this will work.

Seat Leather:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEATS-RESTOR...-/170301132677

The color code you need is SAND BEIGE #C14294. Put it in the comment section when you buy it. Its a dead on factory color. If you car has suffered some UV bleaching....you are going to have to do some blending. It might be ok to just do the bolster as only you will know.

http://www.leatherique.com/ is another option where you send them a sample and they custom mix the dye. Problem is You will cut off a corner of leather from probably underneath the seat.....and it wont match the upper portion because its been in the shade while the seat back has been exposed to 11 years of sun. So same drawback as the ebay option.

There are plenty of videos on how to redye leather online. Basically its clean the leather with some sort of mild solvent to lift the body oils, light sanding and applying the dye with a lint free cloth or I use an airbrush. Leather dye is like spray paint but with a ton of flex agent.

Painted plastic parts inside the car:

Semicycler's Part number is the easiest thing to do. But if you have multiple knicks on the interior and dont want to replace everything......

Go to you local Home Depot with the following formula:

Premium Plus FLT Sample/Flat Matte (8oz can of Behr Premium Plus paint in Flat Matte)

These are the 5 tints:
CLRNT/348th
BL/27
CL/119
FL/15
KXL/123

This is the formula for a $5 sample of Porsche Sand Beige. Its dead on in every respect.

Hope this helps and gives you some direction.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:02 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Are you handy? If so, for the seat belt trim and any other scratched painted-plastic parts (the strip underneath the arm rests gets hit by the seat belt buckle on mine), just pull the ash tray out, take it into Home Depot paint department and have them scan the top and mix you up a little jar of primer-less matte paint to match. Sand/scuff up the part, mask off the borders (and the seat belt) with yellow painters tape, and brush the touchup paint on. I've made some quite invisible touchups that way.

Another thing you can do is take off all the paint and leave it matte black (do the other side so they match of course). Some plastic parts are beige plastic, others are black. I replaced my shifter, steering wheel, e-brake, and ignition key rosette with black ones; the headlight switch rosette I simply removed the beige to black underneath, as I did with the overhead dome light trim. And I put in black floor and package-shelf mats. Looks nice.

For the seat, go HERE, get a little bottle of Color Flex paint. There's a drop-down box to choose the color, get "Sand Beige 2553" for '05-13 911. It will be fine for the e-brake and shifter, but the seats will have darkened from use and age. So you'll need a little bottle of their black tinting and will need to mix it in drop by drop and apply with a q-tip, dry with a hair dryer, until you hit the exact match.

You'll also need a bottle of their Color Prep, 2 vials of their cross-linking liquid, and a bottle of satin clear coat.

Clean thoroghly with soap and water, let dry. Clean with Color Prep. Sponge on a light wash of the colorflex, let dry an hour or two (depending on ambient temperature). Then dab more colorflex with the sponge. Dabbing makes it so there are no streaks. Two coats should do. After it dries, dab on 2 coats of clearcoat, letting it dry in-between.

You should also get a bottle of their cleaner/conditioner, because any aftermarket dye (actually a flexible paint) will not resist typical cleaning products like the OEM finish does.

I will be doing my driver's bolster one day soon.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:24 PM
FranckDG
8th Gear

Thanks guys! I appreciate all the awesome advice! I ordered the part from sunset coast. I also bought a workshop manual on eBay to get more directions on that. I am somewhat handy but I don't really trust myself when it comes to cosmetic fixes... I tend to make a mess. I'll see if I can find a local shop that can help with coloring the seats!
Old 09-27-2016, 10:27 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

you should find a interior shop. or even some body shops, they can spray all those spots and look just fine. Most use SEM or Dupont leather and vinyl color. They will take a part to paint store and match. then you will have matched with current faded color parts
Old 09-28-2016, 02:06 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

BTW, the Home Depot interior paint code I listed was from the collective knowledge here on Rennlist. Taking in your ashtray should yield the same results if you get a good paint mixer. The previously listed code has been tried many times, by many members here and be found to be accurate.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:30 AM
pro1200
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

I had similar damage in my '07 and got a referral from my local Porsche dealer for a company that does this work. My interior is in Sea Blue and he matched the color perfectly. He also painted the door threshold to cover the scuffs from people dragging their feet.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:09 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 855 Posts

Try washing your seats first. Soap and water, lightly moisten towel, rub like heck, buff dry. No need for special stuff.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 09-28-2016, 10:59 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Try washing your seats first. Soap and water, lightly moisten towel, rub like heck, buff dry. No need for special stuff.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
X2 - drivers seat looks dirty. I use saddle soap, and a soft brush. Some use steam. Also like Autoglym leather cleaner and conditioner. Old english leather smell. Lots of clean cloths and good light.
A clean surface may lessen the transition of colour.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:52 AM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree the seat does look dirty, but it's also obvious the stitching has been worn/faded and there appears to be a scuff on the side, as well as about halfway up on the front-facing surface of the bolster.

For cleaning, IF THE AREA HAS NOT BEEN RE-DYED I recommend Griot's Interior Cleaner. Spray on, close the car up, let it sit in the sun so it gets nice and warm inside. Wait 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour, wipe with a clean terry towel. Repeat if needed. Letting it sit a while to work is critical. If you spray and scrub you end up forcing the grime in deeper. This came from several detailers I spoke with.

I had my bolster re-dyed by a mobile guy who all the dealers around here seem to use. Matched very well, but didn't last as long as I had hoped. The Colorflex system has an optional cross-linking additive that enhances the bond with the underlying surface, plus there's an optional satin clear-coat which is invisible but adds durability. I wouldn't go to that length for a small touch-up, but for a re-dye of a high-wear area like the driver's bolster, the steering wheel, shifter, or e-brake, it makes a difference.

One thing to remember is no matter who re-dyes the leather or with what, it does not have the same chemical resistence as the OEM finish. Use of any kind of solvent-based cleaner will take the dye off. That includes anything with alcohol in it. Best thing is warm water with a little mild dish soap. (According to leather guys I've spoken with, saddle soap is great for aniline (pigment dyed) leather, but not for auto upholstery which has a flexible painted finish). The Colorflex guys sell a cleaner they say won't take their dye off, and I believe Leatherique sells one also.

Quick Reply: want to fix interior - advice needed