Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Someone hit me

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 11:57 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Since this will be covered under someone else's insurance, and the collision will show up on CarFax, you should consider filing a "diminished value" claim. Search the forums for more on this. In essence, the CarFax damage report will make it harder for you to sell the car later at top price and you will likely have to settle for less in trade or resale as a result. Making a diminished value claim isn't something you see in the normal world, but others here have done it successfully since it has a greater effect on Porsche values and can result in a payment of thousands of dollars. Search the forums or Google it for more info. I don't know if your insurance company will help with this type of claim against another company, but if not and you have a lawyer on retainer or otherwise handy, you can take that route too if needed.
Old 08-27-2016, 10:19 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

+1 on diminished value. The insurance company will not offer it up as an option unless you ask. And you will likely need to push to get paid. It's worth the hassle as they will both fix your car and cut you a check for the future lost sales price due to the accident.
Old 08-27-2016, 10:44 AM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by nikd
Was backing up into a parking spot and someone hit the left rear corner. The bumper seems to have collapsed in a little.

More importantly, it feels like the engine mounts are a bit dislodged or looser. When I brake and come to a stop, there is a thumping sound.

Who should I take it to? Auto collision place or independent Porsche shop. Obviously going to claim it through insurance as it wasn't my fault.

Any recommendations in Miami/coral gables?

Wow! So you're backing into a parking space and a minivan decides to t-bone you? Where they trying to beat you into that spot? Texting? Smoking crack? Sorry for your undeserved ordeal and I hope everything works out well for you.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:02 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Is that a Prius?
Old 08-27-2016, 12:13 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by jkw911
Wow! So you're backing into a parking space and a minivan decides to t-bone you? Where they trying to beat you into that spot? Texting? Smoking crack? Sorry for your undeserved ordeal and I hope everything works out well for you.
Good observation on the "trying to beat you into that spot"!. If the person was just driving by and not looking (texting, etc), their wheels would have been pointed straight ahead and the would have hit you more towards the front and glanced off. Based upon the angle of the van and the direction the wheels are turned, it is almost certain he was trying to dive into the spot before you could back into it. Geez.
Old 08-27-2016, 01:07 PM
Juansoma
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to PARKHAUS
2644 SW 28th Lane, Miami, FL 33133 and ask for Alvaro.
Old 08-27-2016, 02:14 PM
nikd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parkhaus

I called parkhaus, and they suggested a body shop called countach? They don't really do collision work.

They are pretty close to me. I think my first order of busines is to make sure there is no frame damage. After that I can decide how to proceed etc. Maybe I will just drop by there and have a chat.

Thanks everyone, honestly I don't feel too bad about the whole thing.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:21 PM
Omnigeek
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jkw911
Yeah, that was my first thought when I saw the pic -- bozo was trying to sneak in and steal the spot. As others said, make 'em pay on diminished value.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:46 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

You all know that dude was texting. I look around and see people now drive using their steering wheel to rest their cell phones on - disgusting.

I haven't had a cell phone in over a year - if you need to reach me talk to my wife.
Old 08-27-2016, 04:06 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can see the imprint of your internal bumper support. This was a lateral hit (left to right) almost exactly on the corner of the support. Hopefully it didnt hit it with enough force to bend anything down stream (rear frame).

In California, you have the right to pick your body shop. Hopefully Fl is the same. Ill second the 'Diminished Value' angle.

She is a beauty. In the end thankfully its was plastic and metal, not blood and bones.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:09 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

I would be willing to bet that the thunk you hear is the muffler moving with the engine and rubbing or scraping against the inside of the bumper cover. Probably not a big deal but you might need a new muffler on that side if it's dented, too.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:33 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
You all know that dude was texting. I look around and see people now drive using their steering wheel to rest their cell phones on - disgusting.

I haven't had a cell phone in over a year - if you need to reach me talk to my wife.
Does that work for girlfriends?

Tom
Old 08-31-2016, 06:22 PM
SnP
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Today I came up behind an SUV that kept bouncing in and out of the center and left lanes.

Passed him on the right.

As I passed I looked over and he was texting. I honked, he didn't even look up.

Drive safe out there.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:39 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
Does that work for girlfriends?

Tom
Haha - truth is AT&T pissed me off so I dumped the device. I'll be getting one soon enough again - only because I want to look at car stuff when i'm not home sometimes.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:08 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by nikd
I called parkhaus, and they suggested a body shop called countach? They don't really do collision work.

They are pretty close to me. I think my first order of busines is to make sure there is no frame damage. After that I can decide how to proceed etc. Maybe I will just drop by there and have a chat.

Thanks everyone, honestly I don't feel too bad about the whole thing.
You want a Porsche approved collision repair center. Porsche has a booklet of guidelines on how to ensure the car's damage is clearly id'd and the proper steps to fix the damage properly so the car's roadworthiness in restored and the shop should have this plus the tools, equipment Porsche requires to do a proper repair of the car.

Do not turn this over to your insurance. You have much more leverage with the other driver's insurance company. Your insurance using the fine print in the contract could require used/salvaged parts and this flies in the face of Porsche's guidelines. Porsche says only new parts bought through a dealer from PCNA and all mechanical work performed by a Porsche tech at an authorized dealer.

The body/repair shop will tear down the car some and put it on a proper alignment bench and check for any "frame" damage, actually check for any hard points out of position, and this includes exhaust mounting points, engine mounts, etc. If any are found of position they'll be pulled back into proper position.

As for mod's during the process my advice is no mods. Instead 100% of your focus should be getting the car repaired to its pre-collision condition with factory new hardware and all affected mechanical systems back up to spec.

Afterwards, after you have inspected the car, had it checked by a tech at a local dealer, and are sure the car is properly repaired -- by giving it some road time to shake out any issues and this should be more than a quick run around the block -- then if you want to mod the car do so.

But I'd give the car a month or two of just normal use to be sure there are no issues.

Quick Reply: Someone hit me