Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 11:00 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,418 Likes on 860 Posts
Default Help - Recommendation for air compressor

2009 C2S 100K miles

I need a recommendation for a home air compressor for filling my bicycle and car tires.... not much more than that.

- Size? I don't want the motor running if I have to fill two 75 Lb bicycle tires
- Hoses? Do I want a small unit that I can move around or a bigger one with long hoses? I friend had a small unit I didn't like as the hoses were hard plastic and not very flexible.
- Accessories? Basic stuff I will need or want? Fill presta and schrader nipples.
- Other uses for these compressors?

I have a battery powered unit now and find it a bit of a pain... it is noisy (I really don't like this noise) and way too slow.

Thanx
Bruce in Philly
Old 08-18-2016, 11:35 AM
Jaskfri
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Bruce--I was thinking of the same thing today as I waited at the tire store to check tires and add air. I use a naturally aspirated floor pump for my bicycles but need 110v for my car tires. I don't know if there is a good 12v cigarette lighter version that is not slow.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:38 AM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If all you need it for is tires, goto Sam Club and get their mobile jumpstart/tire inflator. $60 or so, and worth its weight in gold.

I have used it to jump start my cars innumerous times, and my riding mower, and everything else. Quickly inflates a cars tires, and great for the track...

Best $60 you can spend...

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/450-amp...rod13205249.ip
Old 08-18-2016, 11:39 AM
sub150
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Budget?

Compressors can get expensive pretty quick. The bigger the capacity, the less it will run, and the more it will cost. If you are just filling up car tires I wouldn't worry about how much it runs honestly. You are putting in under 10 PSI a tire.

With a good compressor you can wash a car and fit a variety of tools on it.

Also, I wouldn't recommend a compressor for filling up bicycle tubes. Not sure if you are talking about a road bike or mountain bike. Regardless, just use a standing pump. It doesn't take that long and you can better control what PSI you want them at. Filling up my road bike tires with our compressor would take like .1 seconds and I'm not even sure how I would get an adapter on the nozzle for a Presta valve.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:39 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I use the same compressor that powers my air tools. They make small, pancake ones, too. I even use it to blast dirt from crevices, radiators, and I find the small units are a pain (and they are quite draining on a battery, too). Get a real tool, not a toy.

Stanley: 40 bucks on sale.... and my 15 year old compressor is a Stanley

http://www.farmandfleet.com/products...T8axoCqiHw_wcB
Old 08-18-2016, 12:04 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

It really depends upon your needs. Good non-portable compressors stay in your garage, have a high CFM rating, do everything, and could potentially be used to blow out your lawn irrigation lines each fall saving you the money you normally pay someone to do it for you. But they are expensive, non-portable and have a large footprint taking up valuable garage floor space. Good portable ones run all pneumatic tools like nail guns, great for home DIY stuff. But you don't want something too large otherwise mobility becomes an issue. The portable dual torpedo tanks ones you see contractors use are heavier than you think. Stay away from these unless you are running a construction business. Instead look at the single tank pancake style ones with at least 90 psi. The smaller ones are only really good for bicycle tires and the occasional car tire. If they run for too long they burn out.

Stay with brand names too. The cheap small ones die more often than you want (stay away from harbor freight except for the connectors and hoses).

This porter cable one is very similar to what I use. Manufacturer refurbished ones are available if you search. Runs all my air tools and has no issues filling the SUV tires:

Old 08-18-2016, 12:38 PM
Jason DeWilde
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For around $350 get a 1.6 hp 4.5 gallon 200psi Dewalt. Doesn't take up much room, on wheels too. Will fill tires quick and also has plenty of power for impact wrenches (lug nut removal) and air ratchets. Can paint stuff with it too. Overkill for a bike tire but I am amazed how much I use mine for stuff. I also got a long rubber hose like they have at gas stations.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:10 PM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had the Porter Cable compressor shown in the photo for years and it has worked great for me. Not big enough to run real Air Tools but easily transportable and is great with tire inflation and nail guns/staplers.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:20 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Have a 3hp unit. this is a good tool for diyers. You can paint the whole car, you can easily inflate car/suv tires. Attachments to run tools and even clean you interior. Clean those small gaps and crevices. For bicycle tires though I just use a dedicated bicycle tire pump that has its own gauge.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:17 PM
ronvanr
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I like the vertical units, as they take up less room. I have also found the oil compressors tend to last longer then the non oil ones. Check out Harbor Freight. Also if you get a good one, you might find you use it for other things then just blowing up tires - as there are countless tools you can attach to a compressor.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:10 PM
too tall
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That Porter Cable is a great compressor. Read the fine print. They need a proper break in. Just crack the drain valve and run it for 10 min.s and you are good. Remember to drain the tank when you put it away.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:11 PM
mreloc
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This is an awesome one I bought a year ago- mainly because of its quiet characteristics- seriously quiet compared to any pancake compressor I've heard. Small capacity (won't run an impact wrench, but good for tires, nail guns, etc.). They designed it with a large piston so that the RPMs can be very low compared to the typical small compressor, thus the quiet and possibly better longevity.

http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/...FU6BfgodhFoHKA
Old 08-18-2016, 09:27 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 46 Posts

Got one of these in each of my cars. It works great for a little compressor and although it states a tire size limit, I've never had any issues. These have saved my a$$ on more than one occasion.

http://www.viaircorp.com/70P.html
Old 08-18-2016, 10:53 PM
msingh5649
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Get what you pay for...

http://airtoolguy.com/4-ultra-quiet-...or_your_choice

Or check out Rolair-brand.

Quietest least maintenance brand I have come across
Old 08-18-2016, 11:02 PM
patriot993
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Bruce, I have I believe the pancake Porter-Cable that semi-cycler has. I think it is key to get a decent hose. I built a small shelf in my garage and have everything pretty neat and tidy - will post a picture when I get home this weekend.

My compressor is pretty loud but it doesn't bother me too much. The thing that did bug me was the cheap coiled hose that I believe came with it...upgraded to a nice rubber hose.

Quick Reply: Help - Recommendation for air compressor