Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help - Recommendation for air compressor

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 07:52 AM
BoomC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

I have an Ingersol Rand and it has been fantastic. Plenty of CFM for air tools. I bought it on Amazon and it had free shipping. It actually came from Northern Tool. http://m.northerntool.com/products/s...?hotline=false
Old 08-19-2016, 09:13 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,436 Likes on 873 Posts

Great tips all thanx!!!

I just ordered a Porter Cable.... I have their other tools and like them. Great tip on the rubber hose, I ordered a GoodYear rubber hose... a friend had one of those plasticy ones and it was awful. I ordered from Amazon but I did not get an accessory kit... they seemed cheapy to me... Home Despot has a small all-brass set with blower/trigger etc. for about the same price as a 17 piece cheapy set with stuff I think I will never use.

I also found a Presta valve attachment for my bicycle.

Compressor: https://amzn.com/B000O5RO1Y $115
Presta filler: https://amzn.com/B014PXMF82 $33 (only one I could find)
Goodyear rubber hose 50': https://amzn.com/B0089XH5O4 $33
All free shipping with A Prime

Porter Cable has a quieter unit a CS2004 but it got very poor reviews for failures..... it looks like the same darn compressor as the one I purchased but it has to be a different motor in there..... crossed fingers.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Old 08-19-2016, 07:15 PM
too tall
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bruce. I'm a sports coach and for many years repair high end bicycles at home and this is my go to:
http://www.prestaflator.com/
Old 08-19-2016, 07:54 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

My only other suggestion on a compressor would for it to be big enough to run an Airlift. I have a 3.5 gallon unit that does the job but my 1 gallon compressor will not.
Old 08-20-2016, 11:03 AM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts

My garage is too small for a larger compressor, so I use a small 2 gallon Craftsman hotdog compressor AND a 10 gallon air tank which I keep filled by the compressor. When I have filled the large air tank, I drain the compressor tank of it moisture and leave it unpressurized until it's time to recharge the large air tank.

With the filled air tank, I can move it easily, and it is always ready to fill bike tires and care tires.

If I need a lot more air for a project, I will hook the compressor and large tank in series and take air from the large tank. I only do this for short duration work since the compressor is not designed for long duty cycles.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:39 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

FYI Update:

For anyone looking for a simple compressor.....

I made a mistake, I ordered that Goodyear hose without a reel. I didn't realize that you can buy a rubber (get rubber) hose with one of those cool retracting hose reels that I could have hung between my cars. Darn!!! So I ordered a $50 simple crank reel and a 6' Goodyear leader hose to interconnect. I goofed, I could have had a cool system for less money.

too tall: thanx ... that Presta filler you noted is the same unit as I purchases sans guage. I used it this weekend and it was from heaven..... no more cranking on my little Zefal.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 01-20-2017, 12:43 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Update:

Cool mounted unit in my garage...... still should have got one of those retractable units but this still works nicely... I should have done this years ago.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Old 01-20-2017, 06:25 PM
Britjunkie
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My suggestion is to go to HD/Lowe's etc. and run the models you're interested in. Some are so noisy that you will be reluctant to use them. I had a 20 year old Craftsman that worked well, but finally replaced it with a quiet one. What a relief!
Old 01-20-2017, 09:08 PM
F308gt4
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Britjunkie
My suggestion is to go to HD/Lowe's etc. and run the models you're interested in. Some are so noisy that you will be reluctant to use them. I had a 20 year old Craftsman that worked well, but finally replaced it with a quiet one. What a relief!
Agree!

I had a craftsman 17 gallon compressor that I never used because it was so loud.

Just a few weeks ago, I decided to get rid of it. Sold it on Craigslist and replaced it with a Dewalt 2.5 gallon compressor that is whisper quiet compared to the craftsman. It's portable, so I'll likely use it more than I did the old one. Yes, it's much smaller than the Craftsman, but I'd rather have a small quiet compressor that I use than a much louder bigger one that almost never gets used.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:18 AM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Bruce I was looking at the retractable hose units and the ones I saw were like twice the price of the compressor. Did you spot any deals you could share a link on? I see the compressor is $99 on prime right now - thanks!

Dan
Old 01-21-2017, 02:08 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Comanche_699
Hey Bruce I was looking at the retractable hose units and the ones I saw were like twice the price of the compressor. Did you spot any deals you could share a link on? I see the compressor is $99 on prime right now - thanks!

Dan
I have no recs.... Harbor Freight had one... don't know if it is good. Just make sure it uses a rubber hose and not those plasticky ones which are awful. You will need to buy and additional hose to get from your compressor to the hanging unit by the way so you need to do some planning and measuring.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 01-21-2017, 02:28 PM
jfort
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by 8202632
Got one of these in each of my cars. It works great for a little compressor and although it states a tire size limit, I've never had any issues. These have saved my a$$ on more than one occasion.

http://www.viaircorp.com/70P.html
I second the VIAir. I got a bigger one. Kind of expensive but rock solid. I move it from car to car. In the Cayenne for the winter. Much quicker and more reliable than cheaper/smaller portable compressors, which I have owned in the past.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:52 AM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Bruce!

I hit Home Depot, had a gift card, and they had a sale on...

Went with the manual wind up, gotta stay FIT!
Attached Images  
Old 04-11-2017, 09:23 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

If anyone is looking for an air compressor, check out the link below. Please let us know if you have any questions.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...ompressors.htm

-Dmitry
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 04-12-2017, 02:28 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
If anyone is looking for an air compressor, check out the link below. Please let us know if you have any questions.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...ompressors.htm

-Dmitry
I agree! The DeWalt unit is great.

Quick Reply: Help - Recommendation for air compressor