Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel bearing replacement requires alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 07:36 AM
blitz997
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheel bearing replacement requires alignment?

Wheel bearing replacement requires alignment?

I have approximately 23,000 miles on my '09 Carrera and I think the driver's side wheel bearing - don't know if it's front or rear, but sounds like the rear - is on its way out; the droning gets quite apparent at speeds above 30 mph.

Searching the forums, I've realized 997 members haven't really posted much about bearing replacements so I was wondering in an alignment is necessary.
Also, how many hours would a competent shop need [bill]?

Cheers,

J
Old 08-12-2016, 10:01 AM
Rob Follin
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ouch, I am sorry to hear your wheel bearings are defective. I would have the full car alignment done, if it were mine. Alignment is two hours of labor and cost is approx. $300.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:10 AM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 221 Posts

Just trying to learn here, how do you tell the difference between tire noise and wheel bearing noise @ 30mph ?
Old 08-12-2016, 12:05 PM
blitz997
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lowbee
Just trying to learn here, how do you tell the difference between tire noise and wheel bearing noise @ 30mph ?
I'm just going from experience. I had audi A4 make the same noise and it turned out to be a bad bearing. I did get a new set of super sports several months ago but they seem really well balanced.

My hunch for now is pure conjecture. I'm just wondering how much it'll run me, and if i would need and alignment.

J
Old 08-12-2016, 12:15 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 855 Posts

2009 C2S 100K miles

I went through two sets of wheels bearings on my 2000 Boxster S .. died at 197K miles. I forget the actual miles that they failed.... The noise, IIRC, was rumbling. Some said wheel bearing noise is high pitched screeching which did happen on my dad's Highlander, but not my Boxster.

I have not had the issue on my '09... but funny you bring this up as I have been "looking" for this problem given my Boxster experience but can't hear any symptoms on my car. Back when I was going to the track, track junkies said to me that bearing wear is accelerated with track use given the abnormal lateral forces you put on the car there. Another bearing failure I had was on my wife's Lexus but she slid sideways into a guardrail on ice and hit the wheel from the side. I heard the problem when I drove away from the shop... jerks did a lousy job... but that is another story.

I would not and did not get alignments.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Quick Reply: Wheel bearing replacement requires alignment?