Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on this black/terracotta C4S for sale?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 08:05 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Thoughts on this black/terracotta C4S for sale?

I'm in the market for a 997.1, and this is one I'm considering:

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Porsche/9...&orup=10_15_15

I'm waffling on it, mostly because of the colour combo. (I'd expected to settle on something more like silver with black wheels. This one's nice: http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Porsche/9...O&orup=6_15_15)

But.. the terracotta is growing on me a bit, and I think one of the reasons I didn't like this car initially was those wheels. But I could have them refinished in either the original colour, or maybe black with a chrome/silver strip.

Also this is a C4S, and I've mostly been looking at C2Ss. Honestly if the weather is bad enough for AWD to matter I'd take our other car instead (a 535xi), so I've mostly been considering 2s, for the RWD purity, cost, and trunk space. That said, I didn't notice a big difference in feel in a C4S, and certainly not a negative one, and the trunk space difference is fairly minimal I guess...

So ya. Waffling, interested in any opinions! Although I know the 2 vs 4 thing has been beat to death and colours are totally subjective... :P
Old 08-10-2016, 08:12 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 80 Posts

My wife told me not to get one with a red interior, she said I already have road rage.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:16 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

The terracotta is really more of a brown than a red. I'm not a fan of the red interiors either - especially since *everything* is read unless specially optioned. I do still wish there was a bit more deviation even with the terracotta though. I like the ones with terracotta seats, doors, and center console, black upper dash, pillars, and wheel. Those are really rare though.

Last edited by Nate Tempest; 08-10-2016 at 09:28 PM.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:17 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

I've seen one terracotta interior in person and it's a gorgeous, rich color...T
Old 08-10-2016, 09:45 PM
Banilej0
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always had black interiors but ended up with the same color combo and it has really grown on me. It's not as common for sure but that's not totally bad. However make sure you're willing to put up with having a black car, as silver like you were thinking about is much easier to maintain.

Pic for reference

Old 08-11-2016, 01:16 AM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Nice! I love how you've got the dash and wheel in black. Exactly how I'd order it given the choice.

I'm also amazed how red it looks in that picture. Is it that red in person, or more of a reddish brown? Here's a pic of the one I'm looking at for reference - definitely doesn't look like the same colour!

Also here's one of the exterior before the wheels were painted. Much better IMO.

Old 08-11-2016, 02:34 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate Tempest
Nice! I love how you've got the dash and wheel in black. Exactly how I'd order it given the choice.

I'm also amazed how red it looks in that picture. Is it that red in person, or more of a reddish brown? Here's a pic of the one I'm looking at for reference - definitely doesn't look like the same colour!

Also here's one of the exterior before the wheels were painted. Much better IMO.

Looks more like natural brown than terracotta.
Old 08-11-2016, 02:38 AM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Looks more like natural brown than terracotta.
It does, but I've got the original options list, and it's definitely terracotta. It is a bit more reddish than it appears in that picture, but definitely not as red as it looks in Banilej0's.

Anyway, I think this thread has accomplished my goal. I really love that black/terra two-tone look, and it make me realize that I really don't love the all-terra. I think the reason I couldn't decide what to think about it was that I was trying to convince myself that I thought it was cool, but I really didn't.

So, I guess the search continues!
Old 08-11-2016, 07:37 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

Like Sandwedge says that looks like Natural Brown to me and I have that color interior. For the record and I know you decided the other way, I love that terra-cotta interior and would choose that hands down over black……no contest!

I also did a LTS Lipstick Red (an old Porsche color interior) with my 2006 silver 911. Loved the red but got very tired of the silver. To each his own. Good Luck with the search!

Tom
Old 08-11-2016, 12:51 PM
ksozay
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
Like Sandwedge says that looks like Natural Brown to me and I have that color interior. For the record and I know you decided the other way, I love that terra-cotta interior and would choose that hands down over black……no contest!

I also did a LTS Lipstick Red (an old Porsche color interior) with my 2006 silver 911. Loved the red but got very tired of the silver. To each his own. Good Luck with the search!

Tom
+1

I've got the natural red interior. Hated the pictures, saw it in person and loved it.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:58 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I love red, terracotta, natural brown, and sand beige (what I have) because they look rich in a kind of classic-retro way and really open up the cabin. Black feels like a coffin to me especially as the headliner is also black, but I wish I'd gotten mine in black and that's the only color I will ever have in a car interior in the future. As a daily-driver, the materials they use nowadays just don't hold up, and color-matching my sand beige leather and carpets for area re-dyeing as they darken with age is a nightmare, whereas black is a piece of cake.

In fact I'm in the process of 2-toning my interior to replace some high-wear items with black...already did the wheel, shifter, ebrake, ignition and headlight rosettes, and all mats.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:34 PM
Cysco
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

That C4S is a nice looking car. I don't mind the wheel color, but if it bothered you, it'd be easy enough to get them painted whatever you wanted. (probably $100ish a wheel)

You very well might not notice the 4 wheel drive just cruising around town since the bulk of the power in that scenario is going to the back wheels, but if you get spirited with the car, you'll definitely notice it. I'm always amazed at how well my 4S pulls out of a corner. It really is a great 4wd system.

For me, the bigger benefit is the wide-body rear you get with the 4S. The stance makes the car look so mean.

As far as the interior goes, I dig the terracotta. It'll take some extra effort to keep clean and not worn looking, but it is very handsome.

best of luck with your decision.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:51 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,736 Likes on 845 Posts

I would take a terracotta interior over black any day.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:35 PM
braymond52
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen the terra cotta interior in person and it's a great color combo. This is a good looking car.

One more thing: I've owned a convertible with a black interior. Never again. Even with air conditioning you will cook in the hot direct sun. Any color that's lighter than black will retain less heat and feel cooler.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:24 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by braymond52
I've seen the terra cotta interior in person and it's a great color combo. This is a good looking car.

One more thing: I've owned a convertible with a black interior. Never again. Even with air conditioning you will cook in the hot direct sun. Any color that's lighter than black will retain less heat and feel cooler.
Ya, I could certainly see people liking the terra; I've just realized it's not for me. At least not without two-tone.

I actually own a Z4 roadster with black interior right now. On the sunniest days it can get a bit warm, but I haven't really found it to be a problem. The weather's pretty mild here in Victoria though; in a hotter climate I could definitely see it being an issue.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on this black/terracotta C4S for sale?