Sponsored by:

997.2 PDK w/sport chrono plus and PASM vs 997.2 6 speed manual

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 11:48 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 997.2 PDK w/sport chrono plus and PASM vs 997.2 6 speed manual

Maybe a little twist on the typical pdk vs. Manual argument that pops up twice a week. I currently am the owner of a 997.2 pdk C2 with sport Chrono Plus and pasm. I got this car because my only condition from my wife was that it had to be an automatic so she could drive it too, and I wanted to finally get the 911 I've been dreaming about so I didn't argue. I have really enjoyed the car, and have been pleasantly surprised at the characteristics of the pdk, but have been pining for an upgrade to a 997.1 turbo manual, or a 997.2 GTS manual. After a random drive of a friend's older Cayman S in manual, and then a test drive of a manual 997.1 TT, driving two very different cars with very different power levels made me realize it isnt that I am seeking more power as much as I am missing a manual transmission.

Understanding that opened up my search to 997.2 C2 and C2S cars, which allows me to get a newer, less mileage, cleaner car for under the budget I was prepared to spend. That said, I wonder how much I am giving up by looking at a car that is a base C2 that does not have sport Chrono or pasm. With my current car in sport Plus the throttle response is excellent and obviously the shifts are faster than any human could perform. I have found a lot of fun in this car. So by getting a manual, I know I'm giving up the quick shifting, but will I be also giving up a better performing sports car?

I'm wondering if anyone here has actually test-driven both a manual and a pdk of the same model type and trim level and done an accurate comparison back-to-back. If I had to live with the pdk I would not be unhappy, but every true sports car I've ever owned has been a manual, and I guess I miss that a bit.
Old 07-16-2016, 11:14 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Sport Chrono is a must have on PDK cars. As I've understood it, it isn't exactly a game changer on manual cars.

I, however, would not own a modern 911 without SPASM (or PASM in the very least) unless I was planning to modify the suspension myself later. Without either modified suspension or SPASM (in my case) or PASM... the car is far too soft for my taste. It's a personal thing though. Drive some of em back to back if possible.

I have driven back to back manual and pdk cars in my search. I prefer a properly setup car with PDK. I own a 6 speed car as well (and a faster one, at that).. once again.. its personal.
Old 07-16-2016, 03:06 PM
cringely
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

I have a 997.2 Carrera (not S) with 6MT and Sport Chromo. I like the MT, but on a base Carrera, (while it looks cool) the sport chromo is essentially worthless (IMHO).

However, I may be missing something and haven't stumbled onto what the Sport Chrono adds to the base Carrera. If so, would someone enlighten me.

Supposedly, the suspension on the base 997.2 Carrera is between the two PASM settings.
Old 07-16-2016, 03:18 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I drove two 997.2 (non-S)...both 2010 models with PDK...one with Sport Chrono, one without. Without the Sport Chrono the PDK car felt...bland. With Chrono Sport it came alive. I find the manual transmission a fond memory...enjoyable in a vintage car but not in a modern one.
Old 07-16-2016, 03:51 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah, I'm sorry for any confusion but I currently have a pdk 997.2 with sport Chrono Plus. I've never driven a 997.2 without it. This is more asking about the difference between a pdk with sport Chrono and a six-speed manual without it. I know that the people in the PDK camp are very passionate, and the people in the six-speed camp are very passionate as well. Personally, I have always considered myself a manual kind of guy, but I have found the pdk to be pleasantly good and much better than a typical torque converter automatic. Almost enough to make me forget about my love for manual transmissions. Still, part of me has this nostalgic longing for a manual, but didn't know if a manual without sport Chrono would feel somehow sluggish or not as crisp as a pdk with sport Chrono. If driving two of these cars back to back were a realistic option I would do that, but haven't had that opportunity yet.

Quick Reply: 997.2 PDK w/sport chrono plus and PASM vs 997.2 6 speed manual