Sponsored by:

Durametric only scanner?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 01:16 AM
malexgcab
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Durametric only scanner?

Is the durametric the only scanner available for DIY'er to read codes and reset CEL?
Old 07-06-2016, 11:34 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 858 Posts

Google with Rennlist in the search and you will find alternatives. I am sure others will catch your post and respond also.

The Durametric will give you something the other scanners won't and that is identification and explanation of deeper Porsche only codes. How deep the other scanners will go has not, as far as my reads go, been compared directly with Durametric. At a minimum, the explanations Durametric provides are explicit. (But then you need to know what to do about them as Durametric is not a repair manual.)

However, do you really need these deep explanations? Are you going to work on your car? I am happy with my Durametric, but honestly, if you are not going to wrench on your own car, then I suspect you will be wasting your money.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 07-06-2016, 11:38 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Many of the generic code readers are fine and can clear a CEL. Find a bluetooth OBDII dongle in eBay and run the Torque Pro app on your phone. Together this setup covers a lot and is really cheap.

Durametric shines with Porsche specific codes and with the airbag light reset. The airbag light is one of those that nearly all aftermarket code readers fail to reset. So you are stuck with a trip to the dealer. Some stealerships charge upwards of $100 for this service. All it takes is two trips needing the airbag reset and you've paid for the Durametric Enthusiast version itself. I think it also adds service reset intervals - not positive on the details here though. The downside is no coding and VIN locked to three cars max.

Stepping up to Durametric Pro is expensive but adds the ability to modify coding on your car and unlimited VIN's. Things like turning off the seatbelt warning chime, disabling TPMS, disabling the rear wing when switching to a fixed wing, and so on. Plus all the features of the enthusiast version. There is a thread here somewhere showing the coding options for the Pro version.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:37 PM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by semicycler
Many of the generic code readers are fine and can clear a CEL. Find a bluetooth OBDII dongle in eBay and run the Torque Pro app on your phone. Together this setup covers a lot and is really cheap.
Interesting ... when I search for Torque Pro a bunch of options come up - can you spec the exact app you are using? Thanks,
Old 07-06-2016, 12:55 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

The answer is "it depends" If the CEL is specific to emissions codes then a normal reader can clear them. But there are something like 30 computers in the 997, the durametric can talk to and read/clear/code most of them (or maybe all?)

I can use the durametric on my 997, cayenne, and 964.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:05 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Torque Lite or Torque Pro by Ian Hawkins. I have an Android, not sure if it works on an iPhone. Try this wiki on Ian's website (cert date is invalid, google chrome shows a warning): https://torque-bhp.com/wiki/Main_Page

This bluetooth adapter works great for me, it's really small and less than $5 on eBay shipped from China:

But honestly I rarely use it anymore. I have a Durametric Pro cable instead. Anytime I need to check codes, especially those errors that do not light up the CEL, I use my Durametric Pro instead.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:22 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I have a Durametric which gives a LOT of detailed information on my 2008S. But, I also have a OBD reader/scanner from Harbor Freight that works well. It has detailed readouts for different brands of vehicles. For example, I was having trouble with my 2012 VW Touareg TDI. I used the scanner and referred to the VW info section and found that the there was a " exhaust gas re-circulation cooler" that was malfunctioning. I brought it to the dealer and they came up with the same issue. I was impressed for a ~$70 unit. Yes, it clears codes as well. You can get simpler units for about $50 but theses do not give so much detail on problems. Also they can clear codes as well.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...ool-60693.html
Old 07-06-2016, 06:15 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrer
I have a Durametric which gives a LOT of detailed information on my 2008S. But, I also have a OBD reader/scanner from Harbor Freight that works well. It has detailed readouts for different brands of vehicles. For example, I was having trouble with my 2012 VW Touareg TDI.
For a VW/Audi the VAG_COM OBD2 cable is a great item - it does what Durametric should be able to do but cannot due to Porsche/Durametric (and VAG-COM is much cheaper) .
Old 07-06-2016, 08:41 PM
Smitten
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Has anyone tried the BlueDriver OBD2 Scan Tool and iOS app?
www.facebook.com/BlueDriver.net
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/blue...445403397?mt=8
Old 07-06-2016, 10:23 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 225 Posts

Torque Lite or Torque Pro by Ian Hawkins. I have an Android, not sure if it works on an iPhone. Try this wiki on Ian's website (cert date is invalid, google chrome shows a warning): https://torque-bhp.com/wiki/Main_Page

This bluetooth adapter works great for me, it's really small and less than $5 on eBay shipped from China:

But honestly I rarely use it anymore. I have a Durametric Pro cable instead. Anytime I need to check codes, especially those errors that do not light up the CEL, I use my Durametric Pro instead.
Will this bluetooth+App setup allow me to read if the engine has been over-rev ?
I always worry about this after leaving my car at the shop or with the valet....
Old 07-06-2016, 10:25 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
For a VW/Audi the VAG_COM OBD2 cable is a great item - it does what Durametric should be able to do but cannot due to Porsche/Durametric (and VAG-COM is much cheaper) .
I have researched the VAG-COM and it is impressive for VW/Audis as these cars are often highly programmable. My point is that there are many generic scanners that can provide a lot of detailed info at low cost.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:32 AM
mreloc
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Smitten
Has anyone tried the BlueDriver OBD2 Scan Tool and iOS app? www.facebook.com/BlueDriver.net https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/blue...445403397?mt=8

I've got the blue driver. I think it's one of the few that works with iPhone via Bluetooth. Not used it much on the Porsche, but it did let me know when the car was ready to pass smog here in California after the battery had been replaced requiring me to complete a drive cycle to get the catalyst reader to be active.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:58 AM
Satch99
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple more options for you which are also good options.

iCarsoft i960 covers engine, abs, airbags, transmission etc as shown here http://www.diagnostic-world.com/page...4&p=108089.cfm

iCarsoft POR-II covers oil service resets, engine, abs, airbags, transmission etc as shown here http://www.diagnostic-world.com/page...4&p=111381.cfm

Both work fine on a 997, tried and tested.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:56 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by lowbee
Will this bluetooth+App setup allow me to read if the engine has been over-rev ?
I always worry about this after leaving my car at the shop or with the valet....
Unfortunately no it won't. Just the basic CEL codes and perhaps a few Prosche specific codes, but not all. It's just a cheap generic OBDII code reader.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:14 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 225 Posts

Unfortunately no it won't. Just the basic CEL codes and perhaps a few Prosche specific codes, but not all. It's just a cheap generic OBDII code reader.
Will the Durametric Enthusiast version read over-rev ?

Quick Reply: Durametric only scanner?