Sponsored by:

997.1 Muffler removal for Gundo Hack

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 03:18 AM
14thekipper
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.1 Muffler removal for Gundo Hack

Hey everyone. I am new to rennlist and just bought my first Porsche. Like a lot of people on this forum, I would like to make my 997 sound more like it should and would like to do a Gundo Hack. I took my car into a muffler shop today and they told me I had to take the bumper off to extract the mufflers and they wouldn't take the bumper off. They said if I didn't want to take the bumper off, they could do it in place with a plasma cutter. Any help on how to remove the mufflers myself or other info would really be appreciated.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:56 AM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 225 Posts

Find another shop and tell us which city you are in so others can recommend a shop that will replace the mufflers for you properly
Old 07-01-2016, 09:06 AM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Yes find another shop or a buddy willing to help. If you are in the states contact Darin Fister for the real deal. Gundo's are the poor man's lobster compared to a Fister can.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:21 AM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 47 Posts

Order the new cans from Darrin. Get some ramps, back car up on said ramps, unbox shiny new fisters. Unbolt old mufflers without taking the bumper off, place old cans in Darrin's box, ship them back and get credit for core, drive your car and enjoy the sweet sound of your car as it was meant to be.
With some mechanical aptitude it may take you two hours or less. I can probably do it in 45 minutes
Old 07-01-2016, 02:30 PM
teddysam1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have fister's on both my Porsches from Darrin. Well worth it, plus it looks professionally done, quality work. If you are somewhat mechanically inclined you can take them off yourself.....you can take them off without taking the bumper off, just remove the rear tires. However, it is a little easier if you take the bumper off, but not necessary. It's as easy as Little Green said.....enjoy
Old 07-01-2016, 02:55 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Everybody is eager to spend other people's money.

The Gundo hack is invisible unless the car is up on a lift--and even then, i's hard to spot. The welds can be terrible looking and no one will know.

I don't want to be that guy, but you should do a search. There are several threads on this forum about the Gundo hack, some of which go so far as to outline what size sockets you need.

Bumper removal is not necessary, but helps. There are also threads that outline how to do that as well. I haven't done it but people say it's easy.

When I did the hack, I removed my mufflers myself without removing the bumper. It was not difficult, although I have a lift so I did it standing up, which is much more pleasant. I did remove the rear wheels as some of the bolts and brackets are easier to get to from the wheel well.

You can definitely do it yourself if you have another car to drive while the shop is doing its thing.

Good luck!
Old 07-01-2016, 03:21 PM
14thekipper
7th Gear

Thank you all for your quick responses. I live in Idaho Falls Idaho. Not a lot of choices in muffler shops. Everyone recommended these guys but I don't think they have every worked on a 997. anyway, does anyone have a link to Gundo's video of how to remove the mufflers. I will attempt it myself.
Old 07-01-2016, 03:54 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
Everybody is eager to spend other people's money.

The Gundo hack is invisible unless the car is up on a lift--and even then, i's hard to spot. The welds can be terrible looking and no one will know.

I don't want to be that guy, but you should do a search. There are several threads on this forum about the Gundo hack, some of which go so far as to outline what size sockets you need.

Good luck!
Agreed. I paid $150 to have my mufflers hacked. I printed out a picture and told the guy, do this.

Fister is a nice product and known quantity. Welding exahust pipes is not trivial if you weld for a living.
Old 07-01-2016, 04:34 PM
14thekipper
7th Gear

I have heard That Gundo has a video of how to remove the mufflers, but I am new enough to this forum that I don't know how to contact him personally. Any help with that?
Old 07-01-2016, 06:38 PM
MFGJR
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 14thekipper
I have heard That Gundo has a video of how to remove the mufflers, but I am new enough to this forum that I don't know how to contact him personally. Any help with that?
First parts of this plugs/coils DIY details muffler removal: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-w-photos.html

Don't have to remove the bumper, but doing so is simple and makes the muffler job easier. DIY here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...p-by-step.html

Suggest you soak with good penetrating oil--several days in advance--the nuts\bolts on the sleeve clamps joining the mufflers to the cats. They'll be rusty and wrecked, so have new ones on hand,

I did what I believe is the "Hanksville" version (997.1 Muffler Comparisons - Stock vs Fister vs Hanksville Gundo - YouTube), mimicking the factory PSE routing. Had it done in stainless by a local shop that builds motorcycle frames. The work looked so good that I then had to waste an entire day cleaning and polishing the mufflers to bring them up to par. No one will ever see them, but I know they're there...

Good luck
Old 07-02-2016, 12:33 AM
14thekipper
7th Gear

I am also considering the Fab Speed exhaust bypass kit. Has anyone done that? I heard it sounds great but might not be to pleasing to the passenger.
Old 07-02-2016, 01:26 AM
14thekipper
7th Gear

Does anyone have a step by step video or pictures for removing the mufflers without taking off the bumper on a 2006 997 carrera 4?
Old 07-05-2016, 05:15 PM
mumintrollet
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 Video DIY
Old 07-06-2016, 12:49 AM
14thekipper
7th Gear

I didn't get a link to your video
Old 07-06-2016, 10:07 AM
Schnell 911
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by teddysam1
I have fister's on both my Porsches from Darrin. Well worth it, plus it looks professionally done, quality work. If you are somewhat mechanically inclined you can take them off yourself.....you can take them off without taking the bumper off, just remove the rear tires. However, it is a little easier if you take the bumper off, but not necessary. It's as easy as Little Green said.....enjoy
I just performed the muffler removal and you truly do not have to take off the rear tires. The only issue I had was getting a 13mm box wrench on the aft mount bolts. Just remove the tips, problem solved! Took me a little over 40 minutes to remove both mufflers. No bumper or wheel removal. BTW - The mufflers are now at Darrin's having the modification performed. His craftsmanship is top notch as I had my 993 cans done there as well.

Quick Reply: 997.1 Muffler removal for Gundo Hack