997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fabspeed intake install, car slower?

Old 05-22-2016, 10:11 AM
Redhot2474
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Fabspeed intake install, car slower?

Just installed Fabspeed intake on my 09 c4s and while the sound is "better" seems like there is a decrease in throttle response and car seems more lethargic and heavy. Anyone had this experience? I want to like it but think I might take it off.

Ps I just read new post by member who did a very interesting comparison of stock vs fab and fab showed favorable comparison - confused

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post13291089
Edit Reply
Old 05-22-2016, 12:49 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

When you did the intake install, did you do any other work at the time? Did you disconnect the battery or conduct any other maintenance, repairs, work, etc?

Did you handle the MAF sensor properly, by not touching, cleaning or mishandling it?

The problem could be in your head. Expectations vs results range from people believing the car is now a beast to thinking it's running on 5 cylinders.

Old 05-22-2016, 01:49 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Redhot2474
Just installed Fabspeed intake on my 09 c4s and while the sound is "better" seems like there is a decrease in throttle response and car seems more lethargic and heavy. Anyone had this experience? I want to like it but think I might take it off.

Ps I just read new post by member who did a very interesting comparison of stock vs fab and fab showed favorable comparison - confused

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post13291089
Edit Reply
Hi, I'm curious about your experience.
What gears and RPM's were you experiencing the diminished performance (or if "all the time," then where was it most noticeable)?
How was the car being driven before/during the period where you noticed it? (i.e. driving around town then entering a freeway; driving on the freeway for 30 mins, etc.)
Is this manual or PDK (which mode?)

...there might be an explanation. I'm starting to learn more and more about the CAI behavior. (BTW, I'm assuming no other mods to your car)
Old 05-22-2016, 01:59 PM
awfilms
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

I did mine the other week. Car feels much better.
Old 05-22-2016, 02:04 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

Porsche's intake system in the 9A1 DFI is very good. Changing it without changing the ECU settings may not be so good.
Old 05-22-2016, 02:25 PM
Redhot2474
Racer

- PDK, no other mods - Car in low end between 2 and 3500 rpm seems a bit slow, like it lost a bit of torque - it Seems to pull hard at 6k but the car is always "strong" there - so to answer your question it just seems like there's a bit MORE of a throttle response delay in low end but still less responsive across the board - to be honest in might be all in my head - not 100% sure - I've read every single post on 6 speed and renn and it seems like it's 50% like it, 50% don't - I didn't touch anything else at time, install was fairly simple , didn't fiddle with sensor at all etc.....I'm in CT and very close to soft tonic - I'd do that too if it would "legitimately" help with low end throttle response .....? Thx for your replies

Last edited by Redhot2474; 05-22-2016 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-22-2016, 02:59 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

the stock 3.8 box is great with bmc filters, I havent seen any others that dont allow alot of hot air into the engine
that would be the most devistating factor
Old 05-22-2016, 08:59 PM
Dan GSR
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, you installed a hot air intake. The OEM is already a cold air intake
Old 05-22-2016, 11:45 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Redhot2474
- PDK, no other mods - Car in low end between 2 and 3500 rpm seems a bit slow, like it lost a bit of torque
It's possible there is no benefit in that range. The MAF testing that I performed didn't really show any differences vs. stock at < 4500 RPM in 1st gear (and in 2nd gear, < 4500 RPM wasn't tested).

The other issue is that depending on how fast (and hard) you were driving, the intake temp can actually be up to 30F (or more) higher than ambient. I'm guessing the decreased air density should be enough to cause a slight power loss across the board that may not be compensated for by higher flow rates from the "CAI." (Perhaps someone knows, but it's possible the 997 stock intake is potentially flow-restricted at higher RPM's but has no problems at lower RPM's).

- it Seems to pull hard at 6k but the car is always "strong" there - so to answer your question it just seems like there's a bit MORE of a throttle response delay in low end but still less responsive across the board
Better performance in the > 4500RPM range would be consistent with the MAF data I posted.

It may also be possible that better "relative" performance at > 4500RPM may make "normal" performance at < 4500RPM seem sluggish in comparison. Not sure. I'm still getting a feel for my CAI, so I'll report back too to see what I notice.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:54 AM
Redhot2474
Racer

Do you The pairing of a softtronic flash would have an even better effect?
Old 05-23-2016, 10:26 AM
RaidersR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed the Fabspeed HAI in my car before a Softronic tune. When speaking to Softronic the time has NO effect in regards to the performance. The ECU will adjust the air and fuel going forward.

OP, call Softronic and speak to them. I have had a couple conversations about this kit and a tune. They will enlighten you with their thoughts.

When I did have the kit installed I noticed low end loss of torque with this kit. Putting stock sir box back in fixed that. The HAI did provide a sense of more top end power since there is more air coming into the engine bay at higher speeds. The open air intake then takes in more air at the higher speed hence more power.

It's all up to the buyer if they want to install this. I would look into the dual intake model and cut another hole in the deck lid for it. The look is great to have it. I will not buy it for a "power increase" but just for looks and sound.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:41 AM
phaphaphooey
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RaidersR1
I installed the Fabspeed HAI in my car before a Softronic tune. When speaking to Softronic the time has NO effect in regards to the performance. The ECU will adjust the air and fuel going forward.

OP, call Softronic and speak to them. I have had a couple conversations about this kit and a tune. They will enlighten you with their thoughts.

When I did have the kit installed I noticed low end loss of torque with this kit. Putting stock sir box back in fixed that. The HAI did provide a sense of more top end power since there is more air coming into the engine bay at higher speeds. The open air intake then takes in more air at the higher speed hence more power.

It's all up to the buyer if they want to install this. I would look into the dual intake model and cut another hole in the deck lid for it. The look is great to have it. I will not buy it for a "power increase" but just for looks and sound.
OP has a .2. Already has two holes in the deck lid.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:20 AM
RaidersR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phaphaphooey
OP has a .2. Already has two holes in the deck lid.

Yes he does. I'm just saying.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fabspeed intake install, car slower?