Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Question.... Search came up with various results...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 08:53 AM
swartzzz
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Suspension Question.... Search came up with various results...

Okay, Here's a question. Car is a 2010 Carrera S with Sport PASM suspension. I have GT3 Sways front and Back and TPC Control Module. My wife and I are DE Students and often run back to back, and sometimes back to back to back to back. This year, I am going to be running Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2's on the car. The alignment has been maxed to 1* Camber I believe.

My questions are two-fold. First, what is the tire pressure "cold" I should set these Cup 2's too, and what temp should I not exceed at the track?

Second. As it pertains to drivability on the street, as well as tire wear, and especially minimum camber on track tires, is it VITAL or suggested to add more camber when running Cup 2's? If it is vital, LCA's will be installed..... I was thinking that I should go for:

-2 camber front per side
zero toe
8.5 degree caster

-1.7 camber rear per side
1.5mm toe in per side

This is what I found during search. Thanks in advance!
Old 02-12-2016, 09:06 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Can't speak to the Sport Cup tires as I don't have any experience with them. But if you do decide to go with more negative camber up front, you can get there changing out the strut top mounts instead of the LCA's to save money. Something like these from Tarret Engineering, allows for an additional 1 deg of negative camber, and upgrades the strut top mounting point to a monoball. Others make versions too.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:14 AM
Alexandrius
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, you want maximum negative camber.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:04 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

If you are running PSCups, I assume you have a second set of street wheels. So, the question becomes, do you want to spend money to maximize the life of your track tires, or not. That is, spending $x,xxx on suspension will allow you to set up the car to get more life out of the track tires - at the expense of street tire life. It's a pretty simple financial calculation. You might get 2 (perhaps 3) weekends out of the PSCups (which I never liked when I ran them). This won't get much higher even if you have a perfect setup. You need to be diligent in swapping tires to get the most life.

But, this set up will start to chew the inside tread of your street tires because of the toe-in and negative camber. It might reduce life of your street tires by 1/3 to 1/2. And you need to be diligent watching these as well.

So, if you go to the track enough each year, you'll save money on track tires with a better setup. If you don't go much, you'll waste money on street tires with that setup.

One other consideration - get some really cheap street tires like Sumitomos. I run those because I have a very aggressive track setup.

Last question - why more front negative camber? Is this normal for a 997? I've always run at least -.5* more in the rear.

-td

Quick Reply: Suspension Question.... Search came up with various results...