Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! My boyfriend will kill me when he sees what I’ve done to his car

Old 02-11-2016, 04:28 PM
jennifer911
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Help! My boyfriend will kill me when he sees what I’ve done to his car

My boyfriend is out of town and has left his 997.2 GTS with me to use. The key was rattling around in my purse and when I retrieved it, the lock/unlock button had popped out. A quick search on this site tells me that this is a common occurrence due to the tiny plastic retaining lugs being so undersized. One of the members here (Ben Z) fixed his button by using epoxy to fasten two metal pieces to take the place of the broken lugs. These lugs just act as stops so they don’t have to be too precise. I was thinking I could use plastic repair epoxy to glue the two broken parts back in place. However, they are so small and jut out at such tortuous angles I’m not sure it this would be successful.

His Majesty will be back any day now, so I need to fix this ASAP and I doubt I have time to order a new plastic shell from eBay to swap buttons. Can anybody give me some guidance on this?
Old 02-11-2016, 04:32 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

dealer?
Old 02-11-2016, 04:36 PM
Cbst09
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you sure that the tabs are broken on the button and not something that just needs to be put back in? I would do a search on the battery replacement procedure and you can open up the two halves of the key shell and see if the button can be placed back in from the inside out. I would not glue or epoxy anything! If you do need a replacement shell you will need to get the guts out of the old key and don't want to risk screwing it up any further. Good luck, I'm sure your boyfriend will understand either way.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:38 PM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Do you have the second key at home? Will buy you some time to get the first one fixed.

You can order on eBay or Amazon but will take time.

But really - is it that critical? Just order two new on eBay an then it should be OK. It's just a key fob.

It's easy to pry open. There is a small gap where the key enters the casing. Just pry open. Maybe the small plastic tab is still inside? Try superglue or similar.

But my advice would just be to show it and say you ordered two replacements.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:47 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Take the whole thing apart, use the proper adhesive (plastic to plastic is one the easy bonds if you don't use too much adhesive), and really apply yourself.

Set up a nice little work that is well organized, so that it let's you glue and hold the pieces. Magnifying glass, toothpicks, tweezers, little boards for propping things up, etc. etc.

Really apply yourself, because you don't have time to get a new part.

I'm not chiming in on other favors you can do and things you could buy to offset the imaginary pain and suffering he shouldn't be experiencing anyway.

Suggestion: Say, "You're not going to believe what happened to your car." His stomach will sink. Then you say, "I mean car key... car key. The car is fine."

The key could be possessed by demons and lodge itself in his face, but he'll be happy that his car is ok.

Old 02-11-2016, 04:50 PM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

order key fob shell and do a transplant. Honestly if it was my car, I would prefer to know what happened and fix it myself. At least I know it's done right and not done in a hurry
Old 02-11-2016, 05:04 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 62 Posts

First tell him you had a problem with the car. Allow a long pause to let all kinds of bad scenarios run through his head. Then tell him a button fell off the key. He'll be so happy it was just the stupid key.

>> Just realized Philster suggested the same thing. haha
Old 02-11-2016, 05:10 PM
JCD911S
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Just a key, don't trip. Your thread title pretty much tricked everyone who viewed the thread, pretty anti-climactic. I was hoping for a story with flames involved or a missing door.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:11 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JCD911S
Just a key, don't trip. Your thread title pretty much tricked everyone who viewed the thread, pretty anti-climactic. I was hoping for a story with flames involved or a missing door.
+1
Old 02-11-2016, 05:12 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Put on your best high heels. That's all. When he walks in, hand him the broken key, and say "this needs to be fix". Don't worry about it. Sunday is Valentine's Day.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:15 PM
jennifer911
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 58 Posts

Thanks guys, I have opened up the key fob and found the two broken pieces. According to the Internet, Porsche doesn’t supply repair kits for the black 997 keys, and I don’t have paypal to try my luck with eBay parts.

It will take tweezers and magnifying glass etc, but I’m kinda crafty and I would like to try my luck at repairing this. I did rummage around in his sock drawers and managed to find the other key so that’s buying me a little time. I would like to demonstrate to him how great a partner I am in handling my share of life’s problems though. Or maybe I’ll just fix this and keep quiet about it.

I’ve had my own sports cars before and I actually think I do more maintenance stuff than him.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:17 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jennifer911
I’ve had my own sports cars before and I actually think I do more maintenance stuff than him.
Do you have a sister? Wait...I'm married, nevermind.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:30 PM
Paqueras
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zirrah
Do you have a sister? Wait...I'm married, nevermind.
Hilarious!

About the key, just tell him that was an accident and thats it! He will fix it.

To be honest i was expecting something worse.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:33 PM
JCD911S
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Put it together as best you could, and leave it alone on the counter. When he goes to pick it up and it falls apart, just turn to him and ask "What did you do!?".
Old 02-11-2016, 05:37 PM
Rocco07
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If he trusts you enough to leave you with the entire car, I'm thinking he'll understand about the key.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help! My boyfriend will kill me when he sees what I’ve done to his car