Help - exhaust tips removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 07:53 AM
cool flash
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Help - exhaust tips removal

Hi guys,

I sold the red Carrera 2 some time ago and recently picked up a black 2011 997Targa 4.

On the Carrera I switched the exhaust tips to the S tips and started to do the same with the Targa. Now I managed to get one side off but the other side just won't come off. I am aware of the fastening system employed here with the double sleeves.

I tried prying the sleeves apart and rocking the tips back and forth. I can wiggle the tips all around but they just won't come off.

Any ideas what else I can try??? (car looks funny now with one side standard tips and one side S-type tips)

Thanks.

Regards,

CF
Old 02-06-2016, 09:11 AM
Rikky001
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cool flash
Hi guys,

I sold the red Carrera 2 some time ago and recently picked up a black 2011 997Targa 4.

On the Carrera I switched the exhaust tips to the S tips and started to do the same with the Targa. Now I managed to get one side off but the other side just won't come off. I am aware of the fastening system employed here with the double sleeves.

I tried prying the sleeves apart and rocking the tips back and forth. I can wiggle the tips all around but they just won't come off.

Any ideas what else I can try??? (car looks funny now with one side standard tips and one side S-type tips)

Thanks.

Regards,

CF
Hi, did you loose the E12 torx bolt sufficiently? Sure you did, try to spray some WD40 between the sleeves, and turn the tip while moving back and forth, they should come of! Some are difficult to remove after being a few years in service.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:37 AM
gopirates
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I recently replaced my stock base tips with Schnell black chrome tips and ran in to the same problem. I should have sprayed some lube on it, though just kept working the sleeve back and forth with elbow grease and it finally came off. I did get a nasty gash on the back of thumb with all of this elbow grease....
Old 02-06-2016, 04:44 PM
cool flash
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I ended up going to a car repair facility that also rents out service bays by the hour to diyers. I asked one of the employed techs to have a look and he hammered and pried for 5 minutes and the troublesome part was off. It did get damaged in the process but I was happy.

Regards,

CF

Quick Reply: Help - exhaust tips removal