Power Steering Fluid gone

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 12:17 PM
hurricanesteve
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Power Steering Fluid gone

06 C4S mt 28K miles

noticed a squeak/whine when unwinding the wheel from a turn on the way home yesterday. Not excessively loud, but noticeable. Checked the fluid...all gone from the reservoir. I checked it when i changed the oil about 750 miles ago and it was fine.

No puddles in the garage or in my spot at work.

So...i've searched the archives and found lots of talk, but not consistent advice. Seems the hoses to the rack and the reservoir itself are the main culprits. Anything else?

My plan is to fill it up with Pentosin 202 and hunt for the leak. Steering was fine on the drive home other than the squeak/whine...think I'm looking at more extensive repair (new pump/new rack?) if I just find and fix the leak?

tia
Old 01-05-2016, 12:41 PM
namronorman
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you check behind the pump and reservoirs with a light? The top of the engine is waffled and it can easily collect there and not drip out. After a certain shop I don't care to name replaced my pump, it leaked at the low pressure return line entering the pump and then later leaked at another joint they touched.

I'll attach a photo. I had difficulty taking the photo with my phone so it's not the best.
Attached Images  
Old 01-05-2016, 01:55 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 858 Posts

I just had this happen with my 2009 C2S 96K miles. See this thread for some diagrams and pics:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...heck-tank.html

I still don't know where the problem lies... I suspect it is a leak in the fitting between the tank and pump but I am not sure. You can see for yourself.... just jam your head in there and look down with a flashlight. You will see fluid and gunk from dirt sticking to it..... No need to remove the airbox (at least this is so on a 997.2). I am checking the fluid level and haven't noticed any more drain... really odd. Note the PET diagrams do not match the actual parts... really odd.

Let us know what you find.

I will post more when my motor mounts come in and I have to pull the airbox.... in a few weeks. Right now, I am symptomless.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 01-05-2016 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:14 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by hurricanesteve
06 C4S mt 28K miles

noticed a squeak/whine when unwinding the wheel from a turn on the way home yesterday. Not excessively loud, but noticeable. Checked the fluid...all gone from the reservoir. I checked it when i changed the oil about 750 miles ago and it was fine.

No puddles in the garage or in my spot at work.

So...i've searched the archives and found lots of talk, but not consistent advice. Seems the hoses to the rack and the reservoir itself are the main culprits. Anything else?

My plan is to fill it up with Pentosin 202 and hunt for the leak. Steering was fine on the drive home other than the squeak/whine...think I'm looking at more extensive repair (new pump/new rack?) if I just find and fix the leak?

tia
My info is when the power steering system gets low enough on fluid the pump makes noise the SOP is to replace the rack, teh pump and the line with the high pressure relief valve that failed and routed excessive pressure to the rack. This forces fluid out the rack seals. The fluid is captured by the rack dust boots.

The above is or pertains to older Boxsters and possibly 996's. I'm not sure the 997 is at risk of the same high pressure relief valve failure.

As for replacing all the hardware I'd certainly refill the system and road test the car and if all was fine felt I had dodged a very expensive bullet.

For your car you need to identify the leak. So arrange to get the car on the lift and check the rack and lines/fittings to and from the rack and to/from the pump/tank for leak sign. Pentosin is a pretty light fluid and may not leave much residue.

And it is possible one or both rack seals are leaking -- for whatever reason -- and the dust boots are full of fluid.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:49 PM
Rocco07
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Driving on the highway one day and had a steering issue in an Audi A4 Quattro.
Steering got a bit more difficult. Got home and saw there was fluid down the entire left side of the car. Checked the fluid level. It was empty. Refilled and drove to the dealer to be told rack needed to be replaced. I was also informed that the fluid is the coolant for the pump and I should not drive it without fluid or the pump could also be damaged.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:12 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macster
My info is when the power steering system gets low enough on fluid the pump makes noise the SOP is to replace the rack, teh pump and the line with the high pressure relief valve that failed and routed excessive pressure to the rack. This forces fluid out the rack seals. The fluid is captured by the rack dust boots.

The above is or pertains to older Boxsters and possibly 996's. I'm not sure the 997 is at risk of the same high pressure relief valve failure.

As for replacing all the hardware I'd certainly refill the system and road test the car and if all was fine felt I had dodged a very expensive bullet.

For your car you need to identify the leak. So arrange to get the car on the lift and check the rack and lines/fittings to and from the rack and to/from the pump/tank for leak sign. Pentosin is a pretty light fluid and may not leave much residue.

And it is possible one or both rack seals are leaking -- for whatever reason -- and the dust boots are full of fluid.
IIRC, you can access the boots by pulling a wheel. My memory is not clear on this. My Ford friend noted you can tell by squeezing the boots.... squishy = leak from rack.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 01-06-2016, 11:01 AM
hurricanesteve
Advanced

thanks guys. i'll pick up the pentosin today, fill it, and start hunting for signs of a leak. is the reservoir the same on the 997.1 vs. the 997.2? from memory, mine looks different than Bruce's pic.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:22 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hurricanesteve
thanks guys. i'll pick up the pentosin today, fill it, and start hunting for signs of a leak. is the reservoir the same on the 997.1 vs. the 997.2? from memory, mine looks different than Bruce's pic.
Pull down the "Katalog" from Porsche's website.... it is out there.... also known as the "PET" diagrams (PET is the system P-dealers use... same diagrams etc.)

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 01-06-2016, 11:25 AM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Does the 997 have a plastic undertray up front? Remove the panel and you may find a puddle underneath the rack.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:20 PM
hurricanesteve
Advanced

found the PET diagram. looks like several seals between the expansion tank and the oil tank on the 997.1.

KNS: it does have an undertray up front. my plan was to eyeball inspect all around the engine bay first then fill the reservoir, drive around the block, put the front on jackstands, yank the wheels and undertray, and pray to all known deities that I don't have a hugely expensive issue.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:15 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

just had my rack replaced - most of the leaked fluid was caught up under the car - only a small amount on the floor around the front passenger side. about $2500, TGFW!
Old 01-06-2016, 03:39 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

cellphone on video and light is a great for seeing around something. Tuck it in, engine off, for behind the scenes reviewing.
Old 01-09-2016, 04:51 PM
hurricanesteve
Advanced

quick update: pulled the airbox and hunted everywhere for signs of leakage. saw nothing. added 2-3 oz of pentosin 202 and was already above the COLD line.

Started car, spun the wheel back and forth several times. level stayed constant.

so, maybe i have a very small leak that's just getting started? losing 2-3 oz in such a short time is worrisome. and if it was only that low, why the whine/squeal?

Weather finally cooperating, so I'll take it for a spin tomorrow, check the level and get underneath the front end.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Fluid gone