Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bluetooth a2dp streaming in 997.2: Tranzit BLU HF?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 11:08 PM
phaphaphooey
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bluetooth a2dp streaming in 997.2: Tranzit BLU HF?

I am looking into the best way to add bluetooth audio streaming to my 997.2 PCM. I have the stock bluetooth option that works for hands free audio but am missing the universal audio interface on my car. Couldn't believe it wasn't specced when I picked it up as I thought almost all cars had it. Anyway, I want to add A2DP cheaply and the Tranzit seems to be the best option. Does anyone disagree? I plan to have my Android phone connected to both at the same time but to have it use the hands free profile for the stock bluetooth and the A2DP profile for the Tranzit. Does anyone have this setup? Thanks guys.
Old 12-14-2015, 02:02 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 212 Posts

search is your friend - seriously
search for Tune2Air and Tranzit
You should find many threads about that
Old 12-14-2015, 10:59 PM
phaphaphooey
Pro

While search might be my friend I do not believe that reading comprehension is yours. I have searched extensively on this topic. If you had actually read my post and understood the subject matter you would know that I do not have a universal audio interface which prohibits the usage of the Tune2air. The Tranzit is much more popular for the 997.1. I have not found a poster yet that has the factory bluetooth interface in the 997.2 that installed a Tranzit as I propose to do and that connects to both simultaneously with the Tranzit being used with the A2DP profile and the stock bluetooth module being connected with a HFP profile. However, since you are obviously a searching ace perhaps you can point me to a preexisting thread that answers my query?
Old 12-15-2015, 12:19 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 212 Posts

Ah sorry, my bad
Old 12-15-2015, 01:13 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,146 Likes on 728 Posts

Not a direct answer to your question, but my solution (2010 C4S). I've used this option for over a year despite the compromises (discussed below) ...

Android phone in a ProClip charging cradle with an upper vent mount adaptor. Phone stays charged on long trips. Phone is high enough to easily scan.

Charging cord runs through the glove box to the lighter outlet in the passenger foot well, basically out of sight.

Bluetooth (OEM interface) handles the phone.

AUX cable runs with power cord, basically out of sight, but with an extension it runs under the center console and into the back center box to the AUX input there.

Pandora for music.

Waze for road warnings and guidance mutes Pandora for messages.

Bluetooth for phone over rides everything else.

Compromises ... no CD, no AM, no FM. That is, excluding options via the phone beyond Pandora.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:31 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have TranzitBlu in my 997.1.

A2DP streaming works well.

But for whatever reason, I cannot get the mic to work for phone calls.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:52 PM
phaphaphooey
Pro

Hat: I was probably too snippy in my response to you. Sorry about that.

Wayne: I am assuming you have to universal audio interface? I don't and do not see a cheap way in my research to add an Aux In to the PCM 3.0 short of adding the universal audio interface.

Car: Thanks for the input. If that is the case and if my phone will properly handle being paired to two different devices at the same time for two different protocols then I should be in business.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:28 PM
Cysco
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

though not a 997.2, I did install a Tranzit Blu in my 987.2 that does not have universal audio interface. You can see a thread I posted on it over at planet 9 about the install process here:

http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-a...-cdr-30-a.html

I am expecting my first 911 (997.2 C4) in the next week (merry christmas to me) I will likely be doing the same thing to that car.

Let me know if you have any questions about it.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:00 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,146 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by phaphaphooey
Hat: I was probably too snippy in my response to you. Sorry about that.

Wayne: I am assuming you have to universal audio interface? I don't and do not see a cheap way in my research to add an Aux In to the PCM 3.0 short of adding the universal audio interface.

Car: Thanks for the input. If that is the case and if my phone will properly handle being paired to two different devices at the same time for two different protocols then I should be in business.
I'm merely connecting via AUX with an Android. Marshmallow may overcome the Android Bluetooth limitations.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:57 PM
braymond52
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nevermind, I got nothing ....
Old 12-17-2015, 01:10 AM
phaphaphooey
Pro

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
I'm merely connecting via AUX with an Android. Marshmallow may overcome the Android Bluetooth limitations.
Hoping so. I run Cyanogenmod and update frequently so there should be a stable marshmallow build for my phone in the near future. BT has been spotty with my recent Lollipop builds.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:39 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by phaphaphooey
I always connect my OBD-II reader and TranzitBlu at the same time, for music and CAN data while I drive. I'm using an older Nexus 5 on the latest version of Android (6.0.1 I believe? It updated a few days ago), so no problems there.
Old 01-29-2016, 01:38 AM
BrockPorsche
Instructor

Did you ever find an answer to this? I'm in the same situation as you...bluetooth in the PCM but no UIA.

I think it might be to simply connect your phone in music mode only, not phone, and use the built in bluetooth phone.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:36 AM
phaphaphooey
Pro

To get bluetooth music into a 997.2 without UIA your only options are to add UIA or go the Tranzit Blu route. Stock PCM doesn't communicate using the A2DP protocol necessary for music transmission. I am going the Tranzit Blu route as it is much cheaper. UIA will provide higher quality sound but is much more expensive. I bought my Tranzit off ebay and, by doing the install myself, will have less than $40 in the project.

Edit: totally misunderstood your post. I agree that it is the best option to only use the hands free profile for the PCM and A2DP for the Tranzit. Hopefully phones running new builds of Android/IOS will be able to handle this without drops/stuttering in the audio stream.
Old 01-30-2016, 02:41 AM
BrockPorsche
Instructor

Yeah, I guess the only loss there then is the perhaps slightly higher fidelity microphone if it's mounted near you...since instead things like Siri/Google will just use the phone's microphone instead.

I'd kind of like to keep the PCM phone bluetooth in place since it's sort of slick

Has anyone actually done this in practice?

Quick Reply: Bluetooth a2dp streaming in 997.2: Tranzit BLU HF?