Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just a day at the office...(finished my Street/Track safety package)

Old 12-08-2015, 02:02 PM
Alexandrius
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just a day at the office...(finished my Street/Track safety package)

I took some heat for announcing I was daily driving my passat recently...

So i'm making the Austin south-north commute in this puppy. Installed schroth 6 pts, BK mounting hardware, bolted into floor, with Cantrell half-cage/rollbar installed by ATX Autosport in Austin. Looks factory, totally reversible, and back seats retained as well as bose speakers!

Additionally the roll-bar mounts into shock towers and plates welded to chassis behind the seat, so my car feels much more rigid and is as securely attached as a simple half-cage, RS style, should be.

Rounding the package out is the OMP HTE-R carbon seat and OMP cup steeringwheel.

Hope you guys like it! Car is stock on the outside; just safety improvements and factory short shift kit.

Drive to work has been cut a few minutes at least Can't wait to get out to Cota again soon.

Sorry not sure why or how I posted the pic twice...
Attached Images  

Last edited by Alexandrius; 12-08-2015 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:02 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

not concerned about hitting your head on the rollbar in a collision without helmet?
Old 12-08-2015, 04:23 PM
Alexandrius
Pro

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
not concerned about hitting your head on the rollbar in a collision without helmet?
I won't even try to argue that would be bad. It's true. But given in Texas im most likely to be killed from a rear collision with a Ford F-250 decapitating me im like "meh".

Really, the steeringwheel with no airbag is even more of a threat if I crash it, anecdotally.

I figure I still have better odds than a motorcyclist.

Plus most of this cars miles in the future will be track. I've just been enjoying it around town.

*also would like to note visibility in a 997 even with halo seats is really a non issue. I'm kind of surprised people complain about that, they don't affect my vision at all.

Last edited by Alexandrius; 12-08-2015 at 04:41 PM.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:23 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

Five point harnesses, leave funny marks in your jacket, pants and tie.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:25 PM
Alexandrius
Pro

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
Five point harnesses, leave funny marks in your jacket, pants and tie.
Yeah on "suit days" I have to go with the backup.

I still have the three point seatbelt and buckle mounted and use those when no Hans is on (I don't wear a helmet and Hans on street haha).
Old 12-08-2015, 06:36 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Looks great and I will be doing similar mods come spring (already have the same wheel!). Outside of the clear safety benefit on the track (half cage + harness debates aside) I am almost positive side head restraints on a seat are not street legal. Two different racing shops confirmed this with me (at least on IL roads) and is why I've been looking at other seats.

The reason if anyone is wondering why 4/5/6 pt belts are not street legal is DOT requires one big red button to be pushed to release any driver/passenger restraint system and there aren't many 4/5/6 pt systems that have this feature. Schroth has one back in the day but not sure if they still sell that.

I'd really check with a LEO on that seat though.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:31 PM
Alexandrius
Pro

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Looks great and I will be doing similar mods come spring (already have the same wheel!). Outside of the clear safety benefit on the track (half cage + harness debates aside) I am almost positive side head restraints on a seat are not street legal. Two different racing shops confirmed this with me (at least on IL roads) and is why I've been looking at other seats.

The reason if anyone is wondering why 4/5/6 pt belts are not street legal is DOT requires one big red button to be pushed to release any driver/passenger restraint system and there aren't many 4/5/6 pt systems that have this feature. Schroth has one back in the day but not sure if they still sell that.

I'd really check with a LEO on that seat though.
I'm using the standard 3pt stock dot approved belts, I just additionally have the harness installed for when I have Hans and helmet on track. As for legality of halos, I've read the laws in Texas and spoken with people, and there's no issue with the seats. There isn't even anything close to a legitimate case against it. Maybe it's different elsewhere. I highly suggest these seats, or you could go for the sparco ones with removable halos and just put them on when on track, but I didn't realize it's illegal in Illinois. Weird.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:30 AM
JuanK20
Burning Brakes

Received 278 Likes on 108 Posts

You're interior looks awesome. I love it. Might as well take the back seats out tho. Enjoy it.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:58 AM
Alexandrius
Pro

Originally Posted by JuanK20
You're interior looks awesome. I love it. Might as well take the back seats out tho. Enjoy it.
Thanks. Really the looks are just function looking good. I should remove the back seats just having fun driving at the moment. Also, I definitely notice the half cage added a ton of rigidity to the chassis.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:09 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
That would be the Schroth Rallye 4 harness. I have them in my DSM track car.

Mine is a 4 point, though. Not exactly safe, even with Schroth's ASR loops.

Alexandrius, how do you check your blind spot with a seat with head restraints?
Old 12-09-2015, 12:26 PM
Alexandrius
Pro

Originally Posted by Carmichael
That would be the Schroth Rallye 4 harness. I have them in my DSM track car.

Alexandrius, how do you check your blind spot with a seat with head restraints?
I'm tall enough to see right over them. They are a complete non issue for me. Visibility is better than my Lexus IS.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:42 PM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexandrius
(I don't wear a helmet and Hans on street haha).
But you would look pretty bad-*** if you did, getting out of the car for a business meeting and having to remove your helmet and Hans... You might try that some day if you really want to make an impression

(P.s. I'm from Austin originally (mostly)... say hi to my old hometown. Love it there...)
Old 12-09-2015, 06:47 PM
CP911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you elaborate on this point? Thanks!
Old 12-09-2015, 07:58 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

https://www.schrothracing.com/tuning/rallye/rallye-4

ASM stands for Anti-SubMarining. It's an extra flap of material sewn into the inboard shoulder belt that prevents you from sliding underneath the lap belt. In a 4 point harness made by some other company, the two shoulder straps restrain your upper body equally. They keep your chest from moving forward. However, this also pulls up on the lap belt and allows your accellerating pelvis to slide under the lap belt and cause serious damage to your stomach and intestines. With ASM, one of the shoulder belts will elongate at a different rate which will force your pelvis down into the seat cushion. Upon rebound, you will be placed back in an upright position with the belt correctly placed over your body.
I don't like these. It's better to have a crotch/middle strap which will hold your hips in place.

It's ASM, not ASR, sorry.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:40 PM
CP911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.schrothracing.com/tuning/rallye/rallye-4

I don't like these. It's better to have a crotch/middle strap which will hold your hips in place.

It's ASM, not ASR, sorry.
Certainly appreciate the info.

I'm enjoying this thread and the comments. Thanks for sharing OP! It looks nice. Can we see the exterior as well?

I've been contemplating going a similar route with my 997.1S. When I purchased it (used.. my first Porsche and sports car), I wanted something that was as original as possible to ensure reliability and dependability for a DD. Now, after 2 months and 3.5k miles later, I'm finding that I'm moving around too much to have the control over the pedals that I would like to fully extract the fun out of this beast. Thinking some minor mods like what you've done would go a long way. The 4pt vs. 5pt harness thing is interesting. I wonder if something like a 4pt harness + a CG-Lock for the stock lap belt would be a good compromise as far as safety and still being able to use the 4pt seat/harness setup that you want. I was looking at Recaro Sportster CS seats w/ a 4pt harness myself, but now Carmichael has me rethinking things!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just a day at the office...(finished my Street/Track safety package)