Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FYI on costs for a PDK clutch oil change

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 03:28 AM
Croc999
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Wayne, no need to be cynical. I'm not sure why you've found my correction offending. Anyway - this wan't an intention of it.

Storm, thanks for the detailed clarification. So that removing pan doesn't do anything to the oil in the transmission compartment?
Looking at the Wayne's picture of pan removed it's quite amazing that this whole big part with all those solenoids is just the clutches/dif part of the gear...
Old 04-24-2016, 03:42 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,151 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by Croc999
Wayne, no need to be cynical. I'm not sure why you've found my correction offending. Anyway - this wan't an intention of it.

Storm, thanks for the detailed clarification. So that removing pan doesn't do anything to the oil in the transmission compartment?
Looking at the Wayne's picture of pan removed it's quite amazing that this whole big part with all those solenoids is just the clutches/dif part of the gear...
Please accept that I wasn't being cynical at all. I screwed up. I was owning up to that. I appreciate you're calling me on my error. I mentioned this with absolute sincerity.
Old 04-24-2016, 03:58 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Further to the topic ... from another source ...

The PDK requires two different lubricants, one for the wet clutches, the other for the gearbox itself.

From the manual:

PDK transmission oil - approx. 3.12 quarts / 2.95 liters ATF transmission oil Mobilube PTX Formula A (SAE 75W-90) GL 4.5 - change at 120K miles or 12 years.

PDK clutch oil - approx. 5.49 quarts / 5.2 liters Pentosin Gear Oil FFL 3 - change at 60 K miles or 6 years.
Old 04-24-2016, 04:57 AM
Croc999
Racer

This is a good info - but i'm trying to clarify another thing:

If the pan is replaced - does the gearbox oil from the cogs compartment drains out and has to be replaced too?
what i'm asking - when this pan is replaced, do the oil from the gearbox/cogs compartments drains out and needs to be replaced too?
or this pan serves just the clutches section of the box?
So removing that pan doesn't do anything to the oil in the transmission compartment?
Old 04-24-2016, 05:47 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

The pan does not isolate different chambers. Therefore the one chamber that it does seal would be the clutch oil.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:41 AM
Croc999
Racer

Thanks
Old 04-29-2016, 08:46 PM
Bimmerschnitzel
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Q 997.2 C4S
My Porsche dealer quoted me $495 (labor & materials) for the PDK clutch oil change. When I asked if I could bring the oil, he said yes, and that I'd need to bring 2 quarts. That makes me nervous to take mine in, so I haven't scheduled it yet. Anyone else had their dealer do this where they used only 2 quarts of oil?

EDIT: I looked at my quote again and now I'm wondering if the 2 things I got quotes for got mixed up. I asked for a quote for the PDK oil change along with a quote for the AWD controller oil change. I'm wondering if my service advisor swapped the details on these 2 oil changes.

This is what he quoted:
AWD Drive Controller Oil Change: $415, P&L, including 8 quarts of oil
PDK Clutch Oil Change: $495 P&L, including 2 quarts of oil

Maybe they're swapped? Thoughts?
Did you get this clarified? I was thinking the same thing as you when my dealership did a PDK clutch oil change and thought it was odd I was only charged for 2 liters of oil. Then I noticed you too are from St. Louis and I'm guessing you went to Porsche St. Louis as well for the service! Are they not doing a full fluid change w/ the PDKs and if they are not, are they not using PWIS to open the valves and flush the system? I know they have great technicians there so I'm wondering if this is standard protocol and the pan and filter are only replaced along with the full 7 liters of oil for the "needy" Porsche owners
Old 04-30-2016, 05:29 AM
ferrytrip1
Track Day

I just bought an early 09 C2S cab 2 weeks ago, which I think is in superb condition with 85k KMs. Took it to local Porsche Center in Dubai for the 6 year clutch fluid change, they charged me AED 1306 ($355). They used 000 043 305 13 (6 litres) Transmission oil.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:48 PM
Q 997.2 C4S
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Bimmerschnitzel
Did you get this clarified? I was thinking the same thing as you when my dealership did a PDK clutch oil change and thought it was odd I was only charged for 2 liters of oil. Then I noticed you too are from St. Louis and I'm guessing you went to Porsche St. Louis as well for the service! Are they not doing a full fluid change w/ the PDKs and if they are not, are they not using PWIS to open the valves and flush the system? I know they have great technicians there so I'm wondering if this is standard protocol and the pan and filter are only replaced along with the full 7 liters of oil for the "needy" Porsche owners
Cool, another St. Louis member! Hi! Yes, I had Porsche St. Louis quote me for the work. But, I still haven't taken mine in to have it done yet, and didn't contact them for clarification. I was hoping to get more info here on Rennlist before taking it in since 2 Liters didn't sound right, based on what others on this forum have been saying.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:25 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Search functions on my phone suck, but there were posts last September as well. I included a photo of my bill will part numbers including the pan. You should look into the all wheel drive controller oil as well.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:03 PM
Bimmerschnitzel
7th Gear

Cool, another St. Louis member! Hi! Yes, I had Porsche St. Louis quote me for the work. But, I still haven't taken mine in to have it done yet, and didn't contact them for clarification. I was hoping to get more info here on Rennlist before taking it in since 2 Liters didn't sound right, based on what others on this forum have been saying.
Hello! What part of STL do you call home?
So what I'm gathering is the 60K 6yr PDK clutch fluid change was deemed to be a little premature. Apparently newer models require it at the same time as the gear oil (120K 12yr), so for the "older" cars this is just a simplier/cheaper way to show some maintenance (switching out 2L of fluid) was done on the PDK during the "old" interval requirement. Mind you this is all information I extrapolated from what I was told from Porsche St.Louis as well as information I received from various forums. When you take your car in I'd ask them for a straight up answer because I'm curious to know myself!!
Old 05-14-2016, 12:43 PM
Q 997.2 C4S
Racer

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Search functions on my phone suck, but there were posts last September as well. I included a photo of my bill will part numbers including the pan. You should look into the all wheel drive controller oil as well.
Thanks, Wayne. I'll do a search on that!
Old 05-14-2016, 12:47 PM
Q 997.2 C4S
Racer

Originally Posted by Bimmerschnitzel
Hello! What part of STL do you call home?
So what I'm gathering is the 60K 6yr PDK clutch fluid change was deemed to be a little premature. Apparently newer models require it at the same time as the gear oil (120K 12yr), so for the "older" cars this is just a simplier/cheaper way to show some maintenance (switching out 2L of fluid) was done on the PDK during the "old" interval requirement. Mind you this is all information I extrapolated from what I was told from Porsche St.Louis as well as information I received from various forums. When you take your car in I'd ask them for a straight up answer because I'm curious to know myself!!
Thanks for the info! I'll see what I can find out when I take mine in. I'm in West County, not far from the new Outlet Malls. What about you?
Old 05-30-2016, 11:32 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 220 Posts

Anymore updates?
Old 05-31-2016, 11:25 AM
Bimmerschnitzel
7th Gear

Thanks for the info! I'll see what I can find out when I take mine in. I'm in West County, not far from the new Outlet Malls. What about you?
Yikes! Diden't get an email that you replied to me, sorry for the late reply. I'm a downtown dweller in the loft district at Locust and 17th.

Originally Posted by snake eyes
Anymore updates?
My final invoice for my service was ~$350.00 out the door. Other than that, I have no new info. The car runs great with just the 2L fluid replacement. In fact I just tested out the launch control last night and it worked wonderfully

Quick Reply: FYI on costs for a PDK clutch oil change