PPI in Chicago Area

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 09:45 AM
140.6er
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Default PPI in Chicago Area

All
I'm seriously considering an 09 997.2 in the Chicago area. I'm in New York so the first thing I want to do is get a PPI and DME report. I've heard good things about Rizza Porsche and Chicago Performance Tune. Any other opinions?
Old 11-07-2015, 12:37 PM
patriot993
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Hi E36E46M -

I had Fischer Motors in Barrington (NW suburb of Chicago) do a PPI as I was 6 hours from a car in Schuamburg IL (also a NW Suburb). I thought that they did a good job with the PPI and it was very reasonable ($150).

I also spoke to Motor Werks (Porsche dealership) in Barrington - I think that they wanted $480 for a PPI. In hindsight, I wish I had gone with them because they also would have done a paint thickness analysis and the car I bought had some minor cosmetic work done. Fischer Motors caught this but I would have liked to have had an analysis of paint thickness.
Old 11-07-2015, 01:34 PM
j beede
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In my opinion a PPI on a 997.2 needs to include:

-paint thickness check on all metal panels (quick and easy for PPI provider)
-leak down check especially in a cold climate (they won't want to do this)
-check of coolant reservoir for CO (they will say no need for this)
-water pump impeller integrity check (they won't want to do this)
-DME check and line by line review with you (quick and easy for them)
-oil change and check for intermix (quick and easy for them)

I can assure you that the PPI provider is going to say that some of these checks do not need to be done, are costly, take too long, etc. All I can say is that they won't be taking the car home with them and when you find a cracked head or bore scoring their apology won't make you feel much better.

In my experience a CarFax lets you know when the car was last "smogged" and how many hands the car has passed through before your turn to pay the bills--and not much more.

A $150 PPI? That would cover a 20 minute inspection, 20 minute test drive, and 20 minute discussion with the potential buyer. Almost a waste of time. An oil and filter change alone is going to be $150 (Mobil 1) to $250 (high ZDDP oil). My advice is pay more and get a more thorough PPI.
Old 11-07-2015, 01:48 PM
140.6er
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for the replys, very informative.

Quick Reply: PPI in Chicago Area