Best bluetooth/aux solution for 05 997 Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 03:28 PM
juan9999
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ben Z
I placed my mic in the instrument cluster cowl:

Upside is it's virtually hidden in shadow (the photo shows it much more because I had the flash on), and completely shielded from wind (would be especially helpful in a cab, but even in a coupe with open windows). Downside is it picks up the turn signal clicking louder than if the mic was on the A-pillar.

I chose not to mount my phone. The available mounts either place the phone where it blocks the airflow from the center vent, and I need all the A/C I can get here in the tropics; or they place the phone sticking out into the passenger footwell where 100% my wife would eventually kick it and snap the mount off. Plus I have mine in an Otter Box Defender case so the clip mounts don't fit so well.

I have a USB adapter in the center console lighter socket and keep a charging cord in there. There's enough gap to let the cord run through without pinching it. I leave the phone on the passenger seat when I'm alone; if I have a passenger then I set the phone horizontally on an angle in front of the shifter boot leaning against the cubby below the HCAV control. With the rubber-coated Otter Box case it has never slipped off.
How did you run the wires for the Mic?

I use this. Love it because it clips on (GPS, ...) and rotates

Amazon.com: Kenu Airframe | Portable Smartphone Car Mount (Non Phablets) | Black: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Kenu Airframe | Portable Smartphone Car Mount (Non Phablets) | Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

Where are you based?
Old 11-06-2015, 03:30 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just had Mobridge Pro installed. Works great.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:09 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by juan9999
When the unit is on, can you normally listen to other radio stations? When you turn on the radio and have bluetooth off on your phone what do you hear (I hear loud static).
The Tranzit has 2 modes, streaming and radio. Toggle between them with a 5-second press of the control button (you'll hear an audio indication).

In streaming mode you need to have the radio set to the Tranzit's input frequency (I have it programmed into button 5, which has a depressed center and little tactile nub I can find by touch without taking my eyes off the road). Calls automatically come in and mute the music stream. Streaming is also used for GPS from the phone app. If the Tranzit is in streaming mode and you aren't streaming anything, it will be relatively silent (I can hear a little hiss now and then). If you go to any other frequency you will hear a lot of static/garbage. So if you want to listen to regular radio stations, you need to long-press the control button to switch modes.

In radio mode, you can use whatever preset you want to listen to music. If a call comes in, it will mute the radio and the caller ID will show on the PCM screen. BUT: to answer the call you will need to get on the Tranzit's frequency AND press the control button to answer. Hence why having that frequency programmed into the #5 button is convenient.

I never listen to commercial radio anymore, so mine is always in streaming mode. Except when I leave the car for service, then I switch it to radio mode so the mechanics won't mess it up trying to get the radio to play.

I always have my phone in BT, but if I put the key in the ignition in without my phone on me, since I leave the Tranzit in streaming mode and the PCM set to the Tranzit's frequency which around here has at least 2 transmitters stepping on it, I am assaulted by loud noise. Which serves to remind me I forgot my phone!
Old 11-06-2015, 04:14 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

How did you run the wires for the Mic?

I use this. Love it because it clips on (GPS, ...) and rotates

Amazon.com: Kenu Airframe | Portable Smartphone Car Mount (Non Phablets) | Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

Where are you based?
I ran the wire over the steering column, out (you can see it if you look under the analog speedo...I never got around to painting it, and if your interior is black there's no need), left around the oil temp guage, over the analog speedo and tail-end-first into that cranny. I tucked the wire behind the instruments out of sight using a piece of stiff carboard...be careful, that soft-touch paint on the cowl scratches easily!

I can't use anything that clips into the dash vent. I'm in the southern end of FL.
Old 11-08-2015, 02:49 PM
juan9999
Advanced

The Tranzit has 2 modes, streaming and radio. Toggle between them with a 5-second press of the control button (you'll hear an audio indication).

In streaming mode you need to have the radio set to the Tranzit's input frequency (I have it programmed into button 5, which has a depressed center and little tactile nub I can find by touch without taking my eyes off the road). Calls automatically come in and mute the music stream. Streaming is also used for GPS from the phone app. If the Tranzit is in streaming mode and you aren't streaming anything, it will be relatively silent (I can hear a little hiss now and then). If you go to any other frequency you will hear a lot of static/garbage. So if you want to listen to regular radio stations, you need to long-press the control button to switch modes.

In radio mode, you can use whatever preset you want to listen to music. If a call comes in, it will mute the radio and the caller ID will show on the PCM screen. BUT: to answer the call you will need to get on the Tranzit's frequency AND press the control button to answer. Hence why having that frequency programmed into the #5 button is convenient.

I never listen to commercial radio anymore, so mine is always in streaming mode. Except when I leave the car for service, then I switch it to radio mode so the mechanics won't mess it up trying to get the radio to play.

I always have my phone in BT, but if I put the key in the ignition in without my phone on me, since I leave the Tranzit in streaming mode and the PCM set to the Tranzit's frequency which around here has at least 2 transmitters stepping on it, I am assaulted by loud noise. Which serves to remind me I forgot my phone!
Thanks for the detailed response.

I've been using the streaming mode as you describe. Once the unit is paired to my phone, and with the music paused on my phone if I go to the pre-selected frequency (I used https://www.siriusxm.com/frequency to find a free one) I start to get get a hiss at 70-80% volume. This same hiss you can hear on lower volume songs. I'm guessing that because I have a cabriolet, I turn the music up more. There is no "interference" from other stations, just a hiss.

Is this normal or do I need to wrap my antenna connections in aluminum foil?

I don't really listen to the radio either, but even in streaming mode, I'm able to scan and find other stations... Is this normal too?

Thanks again!
Old 11-08-2015, 05:00 PM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I have a cab. No hiss at all. Have you made sure the volume is maxed out on the phone?
Old 11-08-2015, 06:56 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the detailed response.

I've been using the streaming mode as you describe. Once the unit is paired to my phone, and with the music paused on my phone if I go to the pre-selected frequency (I used https://www.siriusxm.com/frequency to find a free one) I start to get get a hiss at 70-80% volume. This same hiss you can hear on lower volume songs. I'm guessing that because I have a cabriolet, I turn the music up more. There is no "interference" from other stations, just a hiss.

Is this normal or do I need to wrap my antenna connections in aluminum foil?

I don't really listen to the radio either, but even in streaming mode, I'm able to scan and find other stations... Is this normal too?

Thanks again!
I use the default frequency even though there are stations that step on it if the phone isn't on (there are no truly free ones around me, what with all the pirate transmitters off-shore). In streaming mode with Spotify paused and the volume way up, I can occasionally hear a very slight hiss that increases in volume slightly for a few seconds followed by a soft pop, then it goes silent again and repeats. That's as close as I've ever come to experiencing to what youyou are describing. I have the unit itself wrapped in a thin closed-cell foam packing sheet, just to keep it from rattling against anything, but no foil on the antenna wires.

I have an iPhone 5 (not S) running the last version of ios 7, and the hands-free volume all the way up.

You might try calling the 1-800 help hotline listed in the iSimple manual. I called them about something during the install and they were quite helpful.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:18 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 589 Posts

Hey Racetwin2 I'm getting one installed and haven't seen the switch yet. You mounted yours down by your leg. How did it mount?

Any other guys do it different?

Thanks a lot! This has been a GREAT thread!!!
Old 11-10-2015, 06:23 PM
jfort
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

i get a little distortion but I think it is due to the iDevice's volume being too high. I need to experiment. I have the Bose system. I don't have any soft intro to songs.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:15 AM
juan9999
Advanced

I use the default frequency even though there are stations that step on it if the phone isn't on (there are no truly free ones around me, what with all the pirate transmitters off-shore). In streaming mode with Spotify paused and the volume way up, I can occasionally hear a very slight hiss that increases in volume slightly for a few seconds followed by a soft pop, then it goes silent again and repeats. That's as close as I've ever come to experiencing to what youyou are describing. I have the unit itself wrapped in a thin closed-cell foam packing sheet, just to keep it from rattling against anything, but no foil on the antenna wires.

I have an iPhone 5 (not S) running the last version of ios 7, and the hands-free volume all the way up.

You might try calling the 1-800 help hotline listed in the iSimple manual. I called them about something during the install and they were quite helpful.
Thanks. I changed frequencies again, and now the hissing is a lot less without any other changes (i.e. no foil wrapped or even taped connections), so for music everything for now seems good.

Only issue, is that I hear the popping sound that you described when I am on calls... :/
Old 11-12-2015, 05:17 AM
juan9999
Advanced

Originally Posted by Racetwin2
I have a cab. No hiss at all. Have you made sure the volume is maxed out on the phone?
Yes, phone is on max volume. I changed frequencies again, and now the hissing is a lot less without any other changes other than moving some of the fader sound to the front. (i.e. no foil wrapped or even taped connections), so for music everything for now seems good.

Only issue, is that I hear the popping sound that you described when I am on calls... :/ Are your calls crystal clear?
Old 11-12-2015, 07:10 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
Hey Racetwin2 I'm getting one installed and haven't seen the switch yet. You mounted yours down by your leg. How did it mount?

Any other guys do it different?

Thanks a lot! This has been a GREAT thread!!!
It mounts with adhesive tape. Really well I must say. No issues with falling off despite extreme heat this summer or cold days now in the spring or now in November.

You see in my video earlier in the thread where I placed it. It's ideal to me since its close to the right hand and you can also hide the thin cable behind the panel that you anyhow need to remove in order to get the PCM out.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:11 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 589 Posts

Hi guys

I hope everybody is still here. I had it installed, and it doesn't automatically connect to the Bluetooth on my phone. The dealer tells me I have to push the button for 6 seconds to get them to link up. Is that true? Did they set up the dipswitches wrong?

I want it to connect as soon as I power on. Pushing the button has by itself been intermittent. Seems like I hear a teeny relay behind the dash when it does link up.

Any advice is gratefully appreciated.
Old 11-26-2015, 04:32 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

It should connect automatically. Mine does. I never have to do anything when I get in the car. Both with my previous Samsung S5 and my current Iphone6

You should not normally not touch the dip switches as I understood. Mine worked directly from the packaging. I didn't even have to use the app in the phone to set it up as I remember.
Old 11-26-2015, 12:31 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Racetwin2
It should connect automatically. Mine does. I never have to do anything when I get in the car. Both with my previous Samsung S5 and my current Iphone6

You should not normally not touch the dip switches as I understood. Mine worked directly from the packaging. I didn't even have to use the app in the phone to set it up as I remember.
Same here.

Quick Reply: Best bluetooth/aux solution for 05 997 Cabriolet