Sponsored by:

Has anyone had their gear oil changed? Pros/Cons

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 11:18 AM
HazemG
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone had their gear oil changed? Pros/Cons

Hey all! My first post in the 997 forum. I recently took delivery on a new to me 2007 C2 with 49K. It's a 6Spd manual. I am taking it in for it's first yearly service, and saw that some people change the gear oil while it's on the lift. Is there any downside to doing so? If the transmission is working perfectly, could changing the oil introduce problems?

I ask this because my brother had problems on his Toyota 4Runner when he changed differential fluid and it introduced a leak that had not been there prior.

I understand these cars aren't Toyotas, but I figured it would be better to ask before rather than after the fact.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:27 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

If it were mine, I'd do it. I've had it done in the past. Use the factory fill 75W90 gear lube. Needs about 3 liters. Pull a sample and send out to Blackstone for a UOA if you're into that data collection.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:30 AM
HazemG
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LexVan
If it were mine, I'd do it. I've had it done in the past. Use the factory fill 75W90 gear lube. Needs about 3 liters. Pull a sample and send out to Blackstone for a UOA if you're into that data collection.
No downside to changing? Can you elaborate on the UOA please? I'm assuming it is some sort of analysis, perhaps looking for metal? What will this information reveal?

Thanks, Lex!
Old 10-14-2015, 11:30 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HazemG
... saw that some people change the gear oil... Is there any downside to doing so? If the transmission is working perfectly, could changing the oil introduce problems?
this is the first ive ever read about anyone doing such a thing. keep it sealed up forever so nothing ever goes wrong. same goes for your engine oil. whatever you do, dont search.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:32 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Hey all! My first post in the 997 forum. I recently took delivery on a new to me 2007 C2 with 49K. It's a 6Spd manual. I am taking it in for it's first yearly service, and saw that some people change the gear oil while it's on the lift. Is there any downside to doing so? If the transmission is working perfectly, could changing the oil introduce problems?

I ask this because my brother had problems on his Toyota 4Runner when he changed differential fluid and it introduced a leak that had not been there prior.

I understand these cars aren't Toyotas, but I figured it would be better to ask before rather than after the fact.
At 49K the trans/diff fluid is IIRC not scheduled to be changed.

The change interval is IIRC 90K miles, though you need to double check this using the owners manual or getting a current service schedule for your car at the dealer in case Porsche has changed this.

Really, hard to believe the fluid change could result in a leak. There is just the drain plug and the fill plug. The tech would have to be a real well, bozo, to end up with the tranny leaking after this service.

In my Boxster I've run the fluid for 90K miles once and for fewer miles a couple times -- the car has just a few tens of miles less than 295K miles on it -- and the transmission/diff are just fine. There has not been any leak. For the Boxster the transmission fluid service is about the cheapest service. Labor is 0.2 or 0.3 hours and then the fluid cost. Once I got the fluid at $5/liter as the dealer had some left over from warranty work.

(The Turbo transmission/diff fluid change is a bit more money as there is more labor to get at the thing.)

It is entirely up to you if you want to have this fluid changed early.

Frankly, I'd be tempted to have it changed. I had the fluid in my Turbo's 6-speed changed at around 30K miles and the tech found a selector shaft leak and the transmission as replaced under CPO warranty. I have had the fluid changed in the replacement transmission now a couple of times and the car has just over 138K miles on it.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:34 AM
LexVan
Banned

No downside to changing? Can you elaborate on the UOA please? I'm assuming it is some sort of analysis, perhaps looking for metal? What will this information reveal? Thanks, Lex!
No downside if done properly with the Porsche gear lube. I think the service interval is 8 years or 100,000 miles. Not exactly sure. But you're close on years.

Track guys change it yearly.

Used
Oil
Analysis

I like UOA data to watch wear metals, contaminants, and viscosities/shearing.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:37 AM
HazemG
Intermediate

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
this is the first ive ever read about anyone doing such a thing. keep it sealed up forever so nothing ever goes wrong. same goes for your engine oil. whatever you do, dont search.
Not sure why you take this attitude towards someone that A) just said he was going in for an oil change, and B) is trying to do his due diligence to care for his vehicle.

Originally Posted by Macster
At 49K the trans/diff fluid is IIRC not scheduled to be changed.

The change interval is IIRC 90K miles, though you need to double check this using the owners manual or getting a current service schedule for your car at the dealer in case Porsche has changed this.

Really, hard to believe the fluid change could result in a leak. There is just the drain plug and the fill plug. The tech would have to be a real well, bozo, to end up with the tranny leaking after this service.

In my Boxster I've run the fluid for 90K miles once and for fewer miles a couple times -- the car has just a few tens of miles less than 295K miles on it -- and the transmission/diff are just fine. There has not been any leak. For the Boxster the transmission fluid service is about the cheapest service. Labor is 0.2 or 0.3 hours and then the fluid cost. Once I got the fluid at $5/liter as the dealer had some left over from warranty work.

(The Turbo transmission/diff fluid change is a bit more money as there is more labor to get at the thing.)

It is entirely up to you if you want to have this fluid changed early.

Frankly, I'd be tempted to have it changed. I had the fluid in my Turbo's 6-speed changed at around 30K miles and the tech found a selector shaft leak and the transmission as replaced under CPO warranty. I have had the fluid changed in the replacement transmission now a couple of times and the car has just over 138K miles on it.
I appreciate the informative post with your experience.. I am leaning towards having it changed. I have been reading up on the transmission and it seems difficulty shifting into first is a common trait of the 997 6Speed, and I am experiencing it every so often. If I double clutch it always goes into first with no problem.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:38 AM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by Macster
Once I got the fluid at $5/liter as the dealer had some left over from warranty work.
SCORE! I think it's about $36 now.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:45 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

Not sure why you take this attitude towards someone that A) just said he was going in for an oil change, and B) is trying to do his due diligence to care for his vehicle.
because its discussed ad nauseam all over every subforum in existence on RL.
if its due, change it. if its not due, dont.

Last edited by EMBPilot; 10-14-2015 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:57 AM
HazemG
Intermediate

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
because its discussed ad nauseam all over every subforum in existence on RL.
if its due change it. if its not due, dont.
My question is a bit more involved than that. Thanks for your input.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:58 AM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a Guard Transmission LSD in mine. They recommend changing the fluid every 6 - 8 track days so I'm changing mine quarterly. I change the gearbox and diff fluids in my BMW DD every 30k. Can't hurt!
Old 10-14-2015, 12:01 PM
HazemG
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Cloudspin
I have a Guard Transmission LSD in mine. They recommend changing the fluid every 6 - 8 track days so I'm changing mine quarterly. I change the gearbox and diff fluids in my BMW DD every 30k. Can't hurt!
Thanks, Cloud! Been meaning to tell you... sweet photo in your sig! Saw that in the track thread. Lift-off!
Old 10-14-2015, 12:09 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,145 Likes on 727 Posts

Check out a recent post on PTX oil regarding shifting problems into first.

I drive PDK but have a friend who changed gear oil near 50K miles and immediately remarked with a big smile that the shifting was vastly improved.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:10 PM
HazemG
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Check out a recent post on PTX oil regarding shifting problems into first.

I drive PDK but have a friend who changed gear oil near 50K miles and immediately remarked with a big smile that the shifting was vastly improved.
Wayne, you are the man. Thank you. Checking now.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:24 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

My question is a bit more involved than that.
it's not.

Quick Reply: Has anyone had their gear oil changed? Pros/Cons