Sponsored by:

Spare tire In a can

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 06:01 PM
LP Beck
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spare tire In a can

A friend and I are taking a 3-4K mile road trip in our Porsches. We usually stay as far away as possible from freeways, preferring those roads less traveled. I'm concerned about the possibility of a flat tire out in the boondocks. Has anyone had the experience of using the goo that Porsche includes along with the compressor in a 997.2? How about other commercial fix-a-flat canisters out there? I've plugged a few motorcycle tires on the road, but am never happy with the idea of making a small puncture bigger in order to get the plug inserted. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Larry.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:00 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I travel the same way and never worried about it. Carry the pump and goo, never had to use it. That's my recommendation. Not the pump, not the goo: not to worry.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:26 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts

I recommend that you carry a plug/patch tire fix lot of some sort. They're only a few bucks at Walmart. I leave it in the trunk. If I was taking a road trip for the distance that you plan to take, I would probably keep a 996 spare wheel in the front trunk and use the rear shelf above the rear seats for luggage. They do make a space saver 997 spare wheel with a collapsible tire, but it's a little wider than a regular 996 spare wheel and tire and may not fit in the front trunk. The narrower 996 spare wheel should work in case of an emergency for short distances. If the flat is on a rear tire, a front wheel needs to be relocated to the back and the SpaceSaver needs to be used only in the front. Hope this helps. By the way, I have never tried a 996 spare wheel on a 997, but I'm told it fits and will work up front in case of an emergency. A friend of mine used one on his 997.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:07 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I take a jack, torque wrench and tire repair kit (get the best one you can find, with a T handle. Order on line, if needed, because stores carry lame ones)... and I just added a strong, portable LED light to the frunk. I am a AAA member, too.

I have repaired a tire in another car with a tire plug kit on the road side. Haven't done so in the Porsche yet.

I've had bad experiences with Fix-a-Flat type products.

As more cars move towards a no-spare set up, you should plan to handle most tire punctures.

I've never had a problem with a tire plug... and I've used many on many high-performance cars for 30+years. You can add a patch later.

EDIT: Plug it... and get the proper repair (patch and plug system) done later. Ok as per Tire Rack.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=77

Last edited by Philster; 10-03-2015 at 09:27 PM.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:57 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 855 Posts

I carry a plug kit and a large pair of needle-nose pliers to pull out what is stuck in there.

Peace
Bruce in Philyy
Old 10-03-2015, 10:20 PM
Jd1368
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Fix a flat cans typically render a tire useless and unable to repair after the fact. I'd stay away.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:46 PM
motopix
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
I carry a plug kit and a large pair of needle-nose pliers to pull out what is stuck in there.

Peace
Bruce in Philyy
I think this is something people often miss when buying a plug kit.
You can get a really cheap set of pliers at Walmart or HarborFreight and throw it in with your plug kit.

I have some pliers, a plug kit, a portable cig. lighter compressor and an led light in my flat tire kit. I bought the Slime brand compressor/slime kit from Walmart. I don't plan to use the slime but just in case...
Old 10-04-2015, 12:17 AM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

some punctures and cuts are not fixable with plugs and goo, only a spare tire is dependable
Old 10-04-2015, 12:23 AM
LP Beck
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fix-a-flat

Thanks for the ideas guys. I do plan on carrying a quality plug kit, however, I will add a pair of needle nose pliers, thanks for the idea Philly!
Old 10-04-2015, 12:33 AM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Of course we all know the goo won't fix a real blowout, but I had an experience that drove home just how useless the system is. Got about a mile from my house when I could tell I had a flat.

Pulled to the side of the road, it was the right rear. Looked it over and couldn't see any major tear or hole, and I was only 5 miles from my indie so if I just pumped it up with the compressor it should hold long enough for me to get it. After almost a half hour it was obvious it wasn't inflating.

So I called AAA and had it flatbedded to the indie. Turns out there was no puncture at all (glad I didn't use the goo!), just a blown valve stem. But the tire had jumped the bead and the puny little compressor didn't have enough power to pop it back. (Maybe if I'd had a jack and took the weight of the car off it, Idk).

I never take long trips in either of our cars, only partly because of the lack of a spare (other car is a Merc diesel and the spare tire well has been usurped for the clean-diesel additive tank). I've had breakdowns of various sorts ruin trips, so now I just rent a car if I'm going more than 100 miles away. Anything goes wrong the rental company will bring a replacement on a flatbed and haul the broken one away.

Of course that doesn't help if you really WANT to take the Porsche on a trip.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:15 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I keep a plug kit in every one of my cars. Even if the car has a spare. I do not take the 911 on long trips and I always have the display set to show the status of the TPMS. I still refer a pump and can of goo over runflats.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:37 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

I've gone back and forth across the US twice, from Boston to LA and never had a problem. I do have a tire plug kit I've never used.
Enjoy and try not to worry.
I did pick up a nail, in my Saab, in NC and added air to go to Discount Tire for a plug.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:48 AM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 93 Posts

I'm carrying this in the frunk:

<b>Smittybilt 2733 Tire Plug and Seal Kit</b> Smittybilt 2733 Tire Plug and Seal Kit
:

<b>Accutire  MS-5530 Compact 300 PSI 12V Compressor</b> Accutire MS-5530 Compact 300 PSI 12V Compressor
:

<b>Rothco Small Canvas Parachute Cargo Bag</b> Rothco Small Canvas Parachute Cargo Bag
:
Old 10-04-2015, 09:34 AM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by LP Beck
Thanks for the ideas guys. I do plan on carrying a quality plug kit, however, I will add a pair of needle nose pliers, thanks for the idea Philly!
+1 thanks. They're going into the glove compartment in about two minutes!
T
Old 10-04-2015, 09:51 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Beck, a 4,000ish road trip. Make sure a place like Tire Rack has your tires in stock. Many of the 911 sizes are hard to find now. Hope 4 the best, plan 4 the worst. Have a great trip.

Quick Reply: Spare tire In a can