Sponsored by:

Winterizing

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 10:03 PM
ric-ko
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Winterizing

Hi All-- Its a tad early, but I've begun to think about this-- what to do to prepare the car for winter?

I will drive it once in a while over winter unless there is snow or salt on the road, so I want to prepare the car for winter. (this question is not for all you California 997ers, I hate you)

So my checklist goes something like:

Put on winter tires.
Wash and detail inside.
Claybar and polish (I use Rejex).

What else??
Old 09-10-2015, 01:41 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, trickle charger for sure.

Change the oil before the winter.

Pop in and stare at car frequently.*

Yearn and long for spring.

*making engine noises is optional, but encouraged.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:40 AM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 603 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by ric-ko
Hi All-- Its a tad early, but I've begun to think about this-- what to do to prepare the car for winter?

I will drive it once in a while over winter unless there is snow or salt on the road, so I want to prepare the car for winter. (this question is not for all you California 997ers, I hate you)

So my checklist goes something like:

Put on winter tires.
Wash and detail inside.
Claybar and polish (I use Rejex).

What else??
That's about the same for me. Except that the Claybar and polish comes in the spring after winter road driving is over.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:20 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Philster
Well, trickle charger for sure.

Change the oil before the winter.

Pop in and stare at car frequently.*

Yearn and long for spring.

*making engine noises is optional, but encouraged.

Amen to that!

I would also check the battery water level. On the Original Moll battery (997.1) the water level should be JUST above the metal pin/plate you see in the holes when lifting the caps from the battery. overfilling is also not good....

I usually also fix all rubber seals with "rubber seal preserver" or whatever it is called.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:42 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you do chose to start the car in your garage, be sure to run it long enough to warm the oil up to operating temperature, and then run it long enough to get all the moisture out of the exhaust and oil. I understand your wish to keep the car off salty roads, so if you do go out, wash off the underside of the car and engine. Be observant of rodent damage to your wiring. There are different opinions as to changing the oil before the winter, or first thing in the spring. It gets expensive to do both. I suggest also changing before you put it up, and first thing in the spring, drive the car long enough to get the oil good and hot and keep it that way to burn off any condensation in the crankcase. Do something to avoid flat spotting the tires.

Hopefully spring will come early to you.

All the best.....
Old 09-10-2015, 09:55 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

Depending on where your going this snowy winter. Jumper cables and tow strap are in all my cars.
Why wait 60-180 minutes for CAA AAA to show up when you can help yourself.
So you have summer windshield washer fluid in your car. Pump that crap out. Get the -4o stuff in there.
Also get that can of coke out from under the passenger seat.
My sister inlaw borrowed my truck a couple of winters ago. Left a unopened can of coke in the drink holder. Froze, exploded all over the interior. She said sorry, I got to spend hours cleaning.
#1 - don't lend your car out.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:04 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Regarding flat spots I bought these in Europe:

Something similar is probably available in the US. 10 bucks per pair. I havent checked the radius but it looks OK. If not perfect I will just use them for "parking indicator" so I dont hit the wall in the garage

Havent tried them but will during the winter. I also have 4 mini jack stands that I am thinking of using.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:23 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 29 Posts

To the OP,

In addition to your list,

1. Change your oil and filter before storing the car. You don't want all the acids and crap sitting in the sump over the winter. You will NOT need to change again in the spring.

2. Overinflate the tires to 50psi. Drop by a local carpet store and get some old carpet square samples. Stack them 2 high, and park on them. These two things will virtually eliminate any flat spotting of your tires. Last year I paid $1 each for carpet samples. Some places give them way for free.

3. Add fuel stabilizer to your tank then fill it with fresh gas.

4. If you not going to drive the car 20 miles or so, DONT DRIVE IT ALL! Do not start the car and let it idle. You'll never get it warm enough to burn off condensation.

5. Use a battery maintainer.

6. Put a plastic bag over the tailpipe outlets. Secure with a rubber band.

7. Put car cover on and forget the car until spring.

If you have mice or other rodent issues, I have in advice to offer.

With these few steps, I've been storing Porches over the mid west winters the last 40 years and have never had any adverse effects.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:59 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah... don't start the car if you're really laying it up. Your just adding water to the engine oil and running a cold engine for no real purpose.

If oil temps don't stay above 212 +/- for a while, then you're adding water to the engine oil.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:15 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ric-ko
Wash, Mount winter show tires. Fresh gas. Verify rubber floor mats.
Drive.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:52 PM
Linnm
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a couple bags of a desiccant (absorbs moisture) like silical gel and put them in the car per instructions. The absorbtion of moisture keeps mold/mildew out of the car while there is no air circulation
Old 09-15-2015, 04:35 PM
garyinseattle
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Luckily, I don't worry about this anymore since I don't deal with snow or salt. When I did, it has been my experience with 25 years of P-cars, and 10 years of bikes, that storing a vehicle is hard on it. I took the approach of driving/riding whenever there was break in the weather, or just starting the motor up and letting it run for 20-30 minutes.

Doing this never caused a problem, while storing a car always seemed to lead to problems with brakes/tires/suspension/injection systems.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:29 PM
9114Scab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred R. C4S
To the OP,

In addition to your list,

1. Change your oil and filter before storing the car. You don't want all the acids and crap sitting in the sump over the winter. You will NOT need to change again in the spring.

2. Overinflate the tires to 50psi. Drop by a local carpet store and get some old carpet square samples. Stack them 2 high, and park on them. These two things will virtually eliminate any flat spotting of your tires. Last year I paid $1 each for carpet samples. Some places give them way for free.

3. Add fuel stabilizer to your tank then fill it with fresh gas.

4. If you not going to drive the car 20 miles or so, DONT DRIVE IT ALL! Do not start the car and let it idle. You'll never get it warm enough to burn off condensation.

5. Use a battery maintainer.

6. Put a plastic bag over the tailpipe outlets. Secure with a rubber band.

7. Put car cover on and forget the car until spring.

If you have mice or other rodent issues, I have in advice to offer.

With these few steps, I've been storing Porches over the mid west winters the last 40 years and have never had any adverse effects.
You hit the nail right on the head there Fred. I was going to say to the OP, go to a Winter tech session by PCA, but you pretty much covered everything.

Where is the pumpkin capitol of the world?? Iowa? It is definitely not Illinois is it? When I was in Iowa, they had the most spectacular pumpkin farms , that I have ever seen. Huge pumpkins going for 25 bucks, in Chicago they would of been 180 dollars a pumpkin. just wondering.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:56 PM
steve0827
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 71 Posts

Here's what I do:

Winter tires
Cold weather windshield washer fluid
New wiper blades (if necessary)
140lb of sand in the frunk

Then I enjoy RWD in the snow

Old 09-22-2015, 07:26 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 9114Scab
You hit the nail right on the head there Fred. I was going to say to the OP, go to a Winter tech session by PCA, but you pretty much covered everything.

Where is the pumpkin capitol of the world?? Iowa? It is definitely not Illinois is it? When I was in Iowa, they had the most spectacular pumpkin farms , that I have ever seen. Huge pumpkins going for 25 bucks, in Chicago they would of been 180 dollars a pumpkin. just wondering.
The pumpkin capital of the world is a matter in national dispute. Here in Morton, IL, we just celebrated our annual Pumpkin Festival. The folks in Half Moon Bay, CA. seem to think they are the rightful capital. We have challenged them to a duel of Punkin Chunkers, but up to now they declined. Until they meet us on a neutral field we claim the title.

Even seen a 6 ft diameter pumpkin? It's scary!

Quick Reply: Winterizing