Sponsored by:

Replacing control arms, drop links or shock mounts under CPO warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 10:55 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Replacing control arms, drop links or shock mounts under CPO warranty

Has anyone had front lower control arms, drop links or shock mounts replaced under CPO warranty?

My dealer is telling me that they may not be covered under the CPO warranty. I have a knock coming from the front end when I go over certain bumps at low speed. The tech and service advisor duplicated the sound and replaced the front trailing arms which did not solve the problem. I was told by my service advisor that they may need to disassemble the entire front strut assembly. I was also told that the CPO warranty may not cover it because it does not cover wear and tear items yet, after speaking to a customer service rep at 1-800-Porsche, I was told specifically that the dealer makes the call as to whether a lower control arm or drop link deteriorated from wear and tear or if it's broken and covered. I asked the dealer to check the drop links and lower control arms before disassembling the strut assembly to check it along with the shock mount. What do you think?

Thanks
-Ryan
Old 08-27-2015, 03:18 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Well, how do justify a rubber bushing hasn't deteriorated over 5 years?!?! How many miles on the car? The control arm and end link aren't going to go bad, it's the bushing that wears out.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:38 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

I would want my dealer to commit and confirm it would be covered before work commences. Did they by chance advise you on the cost of the job if denied? And what if that does not solve the clunk problem? What then? Do you get your money back? Have you video'ed the problem? So you can show them if the problem does not go away?
I would not reward the dealer with the repair if it is coming out of your pocket. Find another dealer, or spend your dough with an indy.
OR - avoid those certain bumps. Are older cars are making more noises. And so am I.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:42 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 3Series
Well, how do justify a rubber bushing hasn't deteriorated over 5 years?!?! How many miles on the car? The control arm and end link aren't going to go bad, it's the bushing that wears out.
Forgot to mention, 62,000 miles on south Florida roads. I think you're right that it's the bushings on those components that go bad.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:49 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
I would want my dealer to commit and confirm it would be covered before work commences. Did they by chance advise you on the cost of the job if denied? And what if that does not solve the clunk problem? What then? Do you get your money back? Have you video'ed the problem? So you can show them if the problem does not go away?
I would not reward the dealer with the repair if it is coming out of your pocket. Find another dealer, or spend your dough with an indy.
OR - avoid those certain bumps. Are older cars are making more noises. And so am I.
I was told about $700.00 to diagnose depending on when they actually diagnose the problem. Doesn't matter to me what they want if they don't fix the problem. I simply won't pay it. I'm definitely not paying for them to replace parts that did not fix the problem. I documented in writing several times that I would like them to check the control arms and the drop links first since those are the usual culprits. Instead they replaced trailing arms that didn't solve the problem. I didn't video the problem, but the service advisor and I are on the same page about the noise and its objectively noticeable. Car is a south Florida car. Roads here are pretty good compared to elsewhere in the country. I forgot to mention my car has been there for 9 days.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:53 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

$700 for a diagnosis? sure?
Old 08-27-2015, 04:04 PM
malexgcab
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are your Techart springs CPO compliant? They might turn around and say its your springs that created/exacerbated the problem.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:16 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ogun228
$700 for a diagnosis? sure?
Doesn't even phase me
Old 08-27-2015, 04:20 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by malexgcab
Are your Techart springs CPO compliant? They might turn around and say its your springs that created/exacerbated the problem.
Definitely has nothing to do with the springs. Before I installed the springs, I had complained about the same problem and the tech was unable to duplicate the noise. The springs may have exacerbated the knock, but the dealer has acknowledged that it existed previously. Also, the dealer sells H&R which lower the car more than techarts. I told the dealer if it's the shock, I'll pay for it, but i know it's not the shock.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:22 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Default UPDATE

Dealer replaced another set of trailing arms. I'm unsure why they are reluctant to check the lower control arms or the drop links. Going to see the tech this afternoon. Definitely not paying for components that did not solve the problem. They can do so until their hearts content under the warranty.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:53 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Default UPDATE

Now the dealer wants to replace tie rod ends. Since there is no play, knocking or looseness in the steering and the steering feels perfect, it's completely beyond me why the dealer is resisting checking the lower control arms. The drop links for the stabilizer bar were ruled out since they were disconnected when we went for a short drive and it was still making the same knocking noise.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:00 AM
Darkalley36
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by awrryan
Now the dealer wants to replace tie rod ends. Since there is no play, knocking or looseness in the steering and the steering feels perfect, it's completely beyond me why the dealer is resisting checking the lower control arms. The drop links for the stabilizer bar were ruled out since they were disconnected when we went for a short drive and it was still making the same knocking noise.
Did the dealer remove the strut and check the rubber mount above? That was one of the common issues I found when researching. I'm $700 in with no fix yet. Going to try the control arm next I suppose as my strut mount was fine. Please keep us updated and I will as well!
Old 08-28-2015, 11:41 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Darkalley36
Did the dealer remove the strut and check the rubber mount above? That was one of the common issues I found when researching. I'm $700 in with no fix yet. Going to try the control arm next I suppose as my strut mount was fine. Please keep us updated and I will as well!
Not yet. I think the shock mount will probably be last thing the dealer verifies, but I'm convinced its a shock mount (or bearing on top) or lower control arms (not the links) since the stabilizer bar drop links were disconnected entirely for a short test drive and that didn't solve the problem.

Needless to say I'm upset because the tech went in early and already replaced the tie rod ends for no reason and I was told that the dealer does not have any lower control arms in stock for their trial and error process. That means I'll probably be without the car for another 10 days..
Old 08-28-2015, 01:15 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

7oo bucks in? They should at least give you a loaner.
Somewhere here there's going to be an alignment needed.
I hate, ready, shoot, aim, projects.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:48 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
7oo bucks in? They should at least give you a loaner.
Somewhere here there's going to be an alignment needed.
I hate, ready, shoot, aim, projects.
They did, but I gave it back because I have another car. I should have kept it. Already told them to do an alignment when the work is complete.

Quick Reply: Replacing control arms, drop links or shock mounts under CPO warranty