Sponsored by:

The Difference Between Average and Amazing Dealer Service

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 10:44 PM
OldBoldPilot
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Difference Between Average and Amazing Dealer Service

I live about equidistant between the dealer where I bought my '08 CPO 997.1S Cab and another dealer. My CPO is set to expire at the end of this month, and I wanted to get as much accomplished as possible as I intend to keep the car and do not intend to bend over for an extended warranty (the car has clocked just over 58,000 miles).

First I called the dealer where I bought the car and asked for the service advisor who I've dealt with before, even though I have in the past found him to be friendly enough but, shall we say, inaccurate when imparting what service the car needed. Oh, he was away at school, they said (reform school, I imagine). Would I like to speak to another advisor? Sure. Except all the other advisors were otherwise occupied. So I called back. Three times. And never got to speak to an advisor -- voice mail every time.

I then called the other dealer and got right through to an advisor. He told me to bring the car in and they would go through it stem to stern and let me know if there was any warranty or other work to be done. At no cost to me for the inspection. I knew that there wasn't any "other" work as I'm a bit fanatical about keeping up with regular maintenance. Oh, and I should mention that this dealer had replaced all four TPMS units under warranty a year ago.

When I got there, the advisor asked if I had any specific concerns. I told him I'd heard about water pump failures and charge cable failures. He called a mechanic to come over and join the discussion. Long story short, they replaced both the water pump and the charge cables under the CPO.

But wait, there's more.

When I went to pick up the car they said they thought there might be a bit of seepage coming from the rear struts, and they intended to replace them. Which they did, including a 4-wheel alignment afterward. Under CPO.

But wait, there's more.

In addition to the approximately $8000 worth of work they did under CPO, they gave me as a "loaner" a brand new (500 miles) Cayenne to drive, and said they were sorry but they were out of Panameras. The other dealer had given me a clapped out Nissan Sentra that had been smoked in from National Rentacar (seriously), with the explanation that they only give Porsches to new-Porsche clients, not CPO clients.

The dealer who did the work is a fantastic dealer, and treated me like family. It was a total win-win. They get paid by Porsche for the work, and I get a (relatively) worry-free 911 coming off the CPO. I also know where I'll be buying my next Porsche.

It is not generally on to discuss dealers by name on the forum, but if anyone would like to know the names of the service advisor and mechanic I dealt with at the great dealership feel free to PM for the information. (I'm in SoCal, in the greater L.A. area.)

Last edited by OldBoldPilot; 07-16-2015 at 01:22 AM.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:33 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not surprised. Many years ago I worked for a new car dealer in SF where there were actually three of us. The other two dealers avoided any warranty work, where possible, as the warranty labor rate paid less than retail. So we took in all the work they wouldn't do and got audited by the mfgr. on a regular basis for "above average" warranty expense vs.cars sold. So guess who got all the repeat work for service….we did!
Treat the customer with respect, solve their problem and they'll be back for regular service and repair!
Old 07-15-2015, 11:38 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Wow! +1
Old 07-16-2015, 12:08 AM
997GTS
Intermediate

That's CUSTOMER SERVICE! Anyone know of a good dealer/service advisor here in Dallas? If so, pm me bc I m jealous.
Old 07-16-2015, 02:43 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

I will say Porsche Exchange in Chicagoland is pretty much like the latter (good) dealer in your story. Those guys are awesome over there.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:45 AM
IX XI
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

In Dallas I've had EXCELLENT service from Park Place Porsche. Similar story, I had trouble getting my car into gear. Popped in unannounced and they immediately took it in and provided me with a new Macan S to use while my car was in for service.

Turns out the spring in my transmission was broken. They ended up replacing the spring, pressure plate, throwout bearing, and clutch assembly as well as the external lever assembly on the outside of the transmission all under CPO. Saved me nearly $4000 and I have a brand new clutch.

I have other similar stories as well in which they treated me exactly the same for both minor repairs and routine maintenance. I will definitely be purchasing my next Porsche from them.

997GTS I can let you know who my SA is but at Park Place they will all treat you like royalty. They run a tight ship over there.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:26 AM
php
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

All I can say is WOW. That's some amazing service.

My CPO will expire sometime in September, and I just recently paid out of pocket for an inspection at the dealer (near $200) to see if there were any issues that could be addressed under warranty. Turned out nothing. I also told them about some rattles in the car, and having trouble from time to time shifting into 1st gear, dealer told me they couldn't reproduce any of these problems. Also mentioned my concern about the water pump, they said no leakage of any kind so they can't do anything unless it's broken.

Not complaining about my dealer, as I don't think service was bad in any way, they were just telling me the facts. But this only gets to show what kind of amazing service you received from yours!
Old 07-16-2015, 12:29 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Replacing parts that are not broken or "might be" is a pretty good deal for you. We all pay for it.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:36 PM
raviis
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

OP, that is fantastic service and how it should be.

Not sure if anyone in the forum have had a experience like the OP with dealers in NJ (Northeast)?
Old 07-16-2015, 12:41 PM
Yet anothercrisis
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow! That kind of service would make my ownership experience so much more pleasant.
Dealers for me are a couple hours away and I have settled on one. Though right now the car has been there for over 9 days for an annual service (oil), loose carpet, and nav map update! This is the last service before the warranty runs out so I wanted them to check it out. I am now playing the game of refusing to call them....shouldn't they call me?
I didn't need a loaner, maybe I should get one next time so they at least check in with me to make sure I didn't leave the country with their car!
Old 07-17-2015, 01:46 AM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoldPilot
I live about equidistant between the dealer where I bought my '08 CPO 997.1S Cab and another dealer. My CPO is set to expire at the end of this month, and I wanted to get as much accomplished as possible as I intend to keep the car and do not intend to bend over for an extended warranty (the car has clocked just over 58,000 miles).

First I called the dealer where I bought the car and asked for the service advisor who I've dealt with before, even though I have in the past found him to be friendly enough but, shall we say, inaccurate when imparting what service the car needed. Oh, he was away at school, they said (reform school, I imagine). Would I like to speak to another advisor? Sure. Except all the other advisors were otherwise occupied. So I called back. Three times. And never got to speak to an advisor -- voice mail every time.

I then called the other dealer and got right through to an advisor. He told me to bring the car in and they would go through it stem to stern and let me know if there was any warranty or other work to be done. At no cost to me for the inspection. I knew that there wasn't any "other" work as I'm a bit fanatical about keeping up with regular maintenance. Oh, and I should mention that this dealer had replaced all four TPMS units under warranty a year ago.

When I got there, the advisor asked if I had any specific concerns. I told him I'd heard about water pump failures and charge cable failures. He called a mechanic to come over and join the discussion. Long story short, they replaced both the water pump and the charge cables under the CPO.

But wait, there's more.

When I went to pick up the car they said they thought there might be a bit of seepage coming from the rear struts, and they intended to replace them. Which they did, including a 4-wheel alignment afterward. Under CPO.

But wait, there's more.

In addition to the approximately $8000 worth of work they did under CPO, they gave me as a "loaner" a brand new (500 miles) Cayenne to drive, and said they were sorry but they were out of Panameras. The other dealer had given me a clapped out Nissan Sentra that had been smoked in from National Rentacar (seriously), with the explanation that they only give Porsches to new-Porsche clients, not CPO clients.

The dealer who did the work is a fantastic dealer, and treated me like family. It was a total win-win. They get paid by Porsche for the work, and I get a (relatively) worry-free 911 coming off the CPO. I also know where I'll be buying my next Porsche.

It is not generally on to discuss dealers by name on the forum, but if anyone would like to know the names of the service advisor and mechanic I dealt with at the great dealership feel free to PM for the information. (I'm in SoCal, in the greater L.A. area.)
Lemme guess, B.H. Porsche was the dealership that couldn't be bothered with your business?
Old 07-17-2015, 12:11 PM
dmaxx
Track Day

Originally Posted by nwGTS
I will say Porsche Exchange in Chicagoland is pretty much like the latter (good) dealer in your story. Those guys are awesome over there.
Couldn't agree more.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:20 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

I've been to the first dealer, sure the second wasn't a dream��
Old 07-18-2015, 01:44 AM
Lahainabry
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had a great experience at Newport Auto Center in Newport Beach, CA.
Incredible service and great customer experience.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:49 PM
Eli355
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had the same great experience with porsche of south shore in NY under their new management. I have both a 911 not purchased from them and a ceyanne that was. Comparable or better loaner cars and full effort to identify any warrantee work they can get their hands on and repair.

Quick Reply: The Difference Between Average and Amazing Dealer Service