Sponsored by:

DIY Gear oil change - smoother shifting

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 10:33 AM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default DIY Gear oil change - smoother shifting

Haven't been 100% happy with the shift feel of my 997, which has a B&M short shifter. So the first step was the fluid change.

Changed the manual gear oil at 32k following USMC DS1's very helpful DIY thread. Used Motul gear 300 and the Motul site listed it as suitable for the 997. I know most have opted for OEM fluid and some didn't think Motul was compatible with the Aisin tranny. Consider me a beta tester.

Overall, the action is smoother and moving into R is much easier. The downshift stubbornness to first is less prounced as well. So I'm pleased with and can live with the results. I think new engine mounts and GT3 shift cables are the future upgrades.

As for the job, not much to add to USMC DS1's DIY. The drain and fill bolts were darn tight. The drain bolt had a good amount of metal paste on the hollow inside of the bolt. When filling with new fluid, the pump fill tube blocked the overflow at first. I put slightly more than 3 quarts in and then had to let the overflow leak out for 5 minutes. Tranny fluid is just messy stuff.

I also purged some clutch oil while working under the car. I hate the location of that bleed nipple.

Will report back after I get a few more miles on the clock.

Last edited by cvtbenhogan; 07-12-2015 at 11:12 AM.

Quick Reply: DIY Gear oil change - smoother shifting