Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange Sport mode / Sport exhaust problem

Old 05-31-2015, 04:42 AM
cjh
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Sport mode / Sport exhaust problem

Car is a 2006 997 4S with Sports Chrono Package plus, including sport exhaust.

The issue I have is that nothing happens when I press the "sport" button? No led lights up, no "sport mode" indication in the instrument cluster and more importantly no lovely growl from the sport exhaust.

The PASM button works fine and the PASM system works flawlessly. I actually replaced the complete button cluster to be sure it wasn't the culprit.

If I pull the plug to the sport exhaust in the engine compartment, I get the sportier note from the exhaust and when I push it back it goes into quiet mode again.

Car's been checked with PIWIS recently without any error codes.

I'd really appreciate some good ideas on where I should focus my hunt!

Old 05-31-2015, 08:33 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

This sounds like an electrical problem.

When you replaced the button (switch) cluster you could have a) connected the wires incorrectly, or b) did not connected the wires completely and one wire has come loose.

It could also be a bad relay switch further down the line. Unless you "electrically inclined" and can do this yourself, you should take the car to a dealer or a trusted Indy and have them diagnose.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:18 AM
cjh
5th Gear

The switch/button cluster was replaced because I had hoped for (fat chance...) that it was only the switch itself that was faulty.

I am not afraid of electronics and thought I'd give it a go myself, but the thing is that I can not find a decent schematic online that shows the wiring/setup of the sport exhaust system.

The car has been at the dealer and was diagnosed through PIWIS - no errors. Somehow it should create some sort of trouble could one would think?
Old 05-31-2015, 09:25 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by cjh
The car has been at the dealer and was diagnosed through PIWIS - no errors.
You did tell the dealer the switch didn't work, correct? I couldn't care less about a code if the culprit is a defective switch. What did the dealer say about the switch?
Old 05-31-2015, 09:38 AM
cjh
5th Gear

Yes, it was mentioned to the dealer. They did a full re-programming job of the CEM and all affected ECU's , but gave me the impression they didn't know where to go from there to be honest. That's why I took it back and now tries to solve it myself.

The switch has already been replaced. I actually measured the current of the switch pack whilst pressing the button, just to rule out any possibility that the new switch pack was the culprit, but no such luck.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:49 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by cjh
Yes, it was mentioned to the dealer. They did a full re-programming job of the CEM and all affected ECU's , but gave me the impression they didn't know where to go from there to be honest. That's why I took it back and now tries to solve it myself.

The switch has already been replaced. I actually measured the current of the switch pack whilst pressing the button, just to rule out any possibility that the new switch pack was the culprit, but no such luck.
Electrical gremlins are hard to track down. I'd find another dealer - they're supposed to be the experts. Sorry I have no expertise to offer. Good luck.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:40 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

OP, you didn't mention if the dealer checked to see if the PIWIs showed that Sport Chrono was enabled in the software on your car. Was this checked? If the car's computer doesn't think it has Sport Chrono then I'm pretty certain it wouldn't respond to the button. I have read other cases in the forums where the Sport Chrono became disabled after some other programming was done on the car.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:46 AM
cjh
5th Gear

StormRune, the Sport Chrono lap timer shows up in the instrument cluster and I therefore suppose that the Chrono itself is enabled. Not sure if it's a multi-level process in PIWIS with different sub options that can enabled?
Old 05-31-2015, 11:10 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by cjh
StormRune, the Sport Chrono lap timer shows up in the instrument cluster and I therefore suppose that the Chrono itself is enabled. Not sure if it's a multi-level process in PIWIS with different sub options that can enabled?
That sounds like a good call on your part. It was the only thing I could think of that I hadn't seen mentioned. I don't know if there are separate PIWIs settings for the various sub-features either. Is there another dealer you could try within reasonable driving range? In any case, good luck! I know this one must be really frustrating.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:05 PM
cjh
5th Gear

I'll check during the week and will report their feedback, interesting. Thanks for the input!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Strange Sport mode / Sport exhaust problem