05' 997.1 C4S Misfire Bank 1

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 02:24 AM
links_my
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05' 997.1 C4S Misfire Bank 1

In need of some help,

I have a 2005 997.1 Carrera 4S, a month ago I went to do a normal fill-up at the petrol station and after filling up I was hit with a CEL and the car was running rough at idle but still able to run. I plugged in durametrics and pulled out the codes and had the following:

P0040 - Oxygen sensors in front of cat conv. Switched
P0300 – Misfiring checksum error
P0301 – Misfiring cylinder 1
P0302 – Misfiring cylinder 2
P0303 – Misfiring cylinder 3
P1371 – Valve lift control checksum error
P1359 – Valve lift control cylinder 1
P1361 – Valve lift control cylinder 2
P1363 – Valve lift control cylinder 3

So far a lot has been done to try and rectify this but unfortunately no success.

Notably this only happens once it reaches 90+ on the oil temp reading, before that the car will run normal.

Petrol tank has been emptied and filled a few times but hasn’t made any difference to the problem (I suspected bad fuel at first).

After erasing the codes the first time the only codes to come back out are the first 5 and not the 4 following. If the car is running with the CEL and the codes are erased the car will run smoothly again, same with if the car is switched off and then started again it will run smoothly. If you drive the car with the CEL it will also go away and the car runs perfect, it only happens when the car is sat in start/stop traffic or at idle.

Spark plugs have been changed, coils were changed in 2014 but tried swapping them to opposing banks but the fault codes still appeared the same. Also tried a new set of coils in the car and still the same problem. The bank 1-oxygen sensors have been replaced, also hasn’t resolved the problem. Any suggestion on what else needs to be checked?

I have been through many forums searching for an answer, many people have had similar codes and symptoms but until now I can’t seem to find a definitive answer to what the solution is to the problem.

Any help will be appreciated, hopefully to avoid spending more money on parts that don’t solve the problem at hand.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:59 AM
Captsteve123
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I feel your pain. I have done all the same thinking it would resolve the issue.
Happened again this am. Beginning to become frustrating.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:54 PM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would say it may be your lift or vario cam solenoid. Swap from the other bank and see if it moves to that bank.
Old 08-06-2016, 03:11 AM
bbb bbb
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by links_my
In need of some help,

I have a 2005 997.1 Carrera 4S, a month ago I went to do a normal fill-up at the petrol station and after filling up I was hit with a CEL and the car was running rough at idle but still able to run. I plugged in durametrics and pulled out the codes and had the following:

P0040 - Oxygen sensors in front of cat conv. Switched
P0300 – Misfiring checksum error
P0301 – Misfiring cylinder 1
P0302 – Misfiring cylinder 2
P0303 – Misfiring cylinder 3
P1371 – Valve lift control checksum error
P1359 – Valve lift control cylinder 1
P1361 – Valve lift control cylinder 2
P1363 – Valve lift control cylinder 3

So far a lot has been done to try and rectify this but unfortunately no success.

Notably this only happens once it reaches 90+ on the oil temp reading, before that the car will run normal.

Petrol tank has been emptied and filled a few times but hasn’t made any difference to the problem (I suspected bad fuel at first).

After erasing the codes the first time the only codes to come back out are the first 5 and not the 4 following. If the car is running with the CEL and the codes are erased the car will run smoothly again, same with if the car is switched off and then started again it will run smoothly. If you drive the car with the CEL it will also go away and the car runs perfect, it only happens when the car is sat in start/stop traffic or at idle.

Spark plugs have been changed, coils were changed in 2014 but tried swapping them to opposing banks but the fault codes still appeared the same. Also tried a new set of coils in the car and still the same problem. The bank 1-oxygen sensors have been replaced, also hasn’t resolved the problem. Any suggestion on what else needs to be checked?

I have been through many forums searching for an answer, many people have had similar codes and symptoms but until now I can’t seem to find a definitive answer to what the solution is to the problem.

Any help will be appreciated, hopefully to avoid spending more money on parts that don’t solve the problem at hand.
What ended up fixing your problem???
Old 10-23-2016, 05:40 PM
speedin
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also am curious what you solution was?

I had something similar happen that I am in the midst of diagnosing. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post13687349

Seems like the gas had nothing to do with it. Just a similar story to mine. Ran fine, turned it off and then on, then a bank of cylinders is going mad.

I will try the varocam solenoid as mentioned above though...
Old 10-25-2016, 09:20 PM
bbb bbb
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It ended up being the valve lifter bore had a scuff in it causing it to stick at idle. It was an exhaust lifter, so when I removed the intake to watch the intake valves move turning the motor by hand I assumed everything must be okay. At idle there just wasn't enough momentum, I assume, to keep the lifter moving freely. So it idled rough, but drove fine at anything above idle.

It ended up being a very costly repair since I had multiple things looked at and changed whilst the engine was out. My advice is try swapping parts and verifying their failure and when all other alternatives have been ruled out, you may have a deeper issue such as I did.

This is my second Porsche and needless to say I have lost faith in the brand to have such a failure. Mind you, the truck is solid now and has no issues, nor should it in the future since this was resolved. However, Porsche gave me a lot of the 'runaround' with this problem that I find unacceptable with such a low mileage vehicle.

Quick Reply: 05' 997.1 C4S Misfire Bank 1