Sponsored by:

GT3 Tune on a 3.6 Carerra

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 09:43 PM
1BEAT
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Default GT3 Tune on a 3.6 Carerra

Has anyone heard of downloading the older 3.6GT3 software on a 3.6 Carrera??? Thoughts???
Old 04-10-2015, 09:51 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Totally different 3.6 liter engines....different engine blocks, components and management system.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:53 PM
1BEAT
Rennlist Member

Ok, I have a tuner that wants to put a stock GT3 tune on my 3.6 Carrera. Said he has done it on a few and gained 35hp and no issues. Wondering what to do?
Old 04-10-2015, 09:58 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

GT3 and Carrera are different engines...everything is different from intake to exhaust. Management system is different...it's not the same at all. I've talked to all sorts of tuners but have never heard of putting a Porsche GT3 ecu program into a Carrera based car.

Last edited by mdrums; 04-10-2015 at 10:13 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:15 PM
1BEAT
Rennlist Member

Ok, thats what I am wondering. I have mods done. He wants to put a base GT3 3.6 file on my Carrera 3.6. Its been done to a boxster with a 3.6 carrera transplant. Wondering what the risks are and if anyone has heard of this.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:38 PM
1BEAT
Rennlist Member

From what I see, the only difference is throttle body and a more free flowing exhaust. I have no cats and and AWE mufflers. If I get a new throttle body, looks like the GT3 software will work fine.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:54 PM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Do it man! Dont let the haters stop you!

I have a feeling you gonna make crazy powah!!!!
Old 04-10-2015, 11:32 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BEAT
From what I see, the only difference is throttle body and a more free flowing exhaust. I have no cats and and AWE mufflers. If I get a new throttle body, looks like the GT3 software will work fine.
You're ignoring what previous posters have said - GT3 has a completely different engine and a different ECU. I wouldn't "bastardize" the ECU - why not buy a tune specific to your engine, e.g. Softronics or others?
Old 04-10-2015, 11:53 PM
1BEAT
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
You're ignoring what previous posters have said - GT3 has a completely different engine and a different ECU. I wouldn't "bastardize" the ECU - why not buy a tune specific to your engine, e.g. Softronics or others?
Well, I have not found much info that the engine is that much different with the exception of the exhaust and a few other mods. Nothing major. This is a pretty well respected tuner and he is just asking if I want to try it. He has done it on other 3.6 motors and the most recent was on one that was dropped into a Boxster that is a track car. Just exploring and trying to gauge the risk and if anyone has done or heard of this before.

I have not found much more that this......

So what changes did it make? At the intake side, it increased the diameter of throttle butterfly from 76mm to 82mm. It also added a new resonance type variable intake manifold (previously called Varioram) to optimize torque across a wider band. At the exhaust side, it employs larger volume silencers to reduce back pressure. At the valvetrain, it increased the valve lift by 0.4mm and extended the variation range of the Variocam system from 45˚ to 52˚. In the combustion chambers, the compression ratio is lifted from 11.7 to 12.0:1. In the reciprocating parts, the conn-rods are lengthened to reduce thrust angle, hence wasting less energy. The pistons become shorter and lighter. All these put together, the new GT3 engine becomes even more revvy and powerful than ever. It produces 415 horsepower at 7600 rpm, which translate to an astonishing 115 horsepower per litre, even higher than Ferrari F430 (114 hp per litre) !! maximum torque now increases to 299 lbft at 5500 rpm. Max rev is lifted to 8400 rpm, almost like a touring race car.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:12 AM
Redline911
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go for it. Let us know what happens when you try out the new 8400 rev limit.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:48 AM
Raven 666
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

Well, I have not found much info that the engine is that much different with the exception of the exhaust and a few other mods. Nothing major. This is a pretty well respected tuner and he is just asking if I want to try it. He has done it on other 3.6 motors and the most recent was on one that was dropped into a Boxster that is a track car. Just exploring and trying to gauge the risk and if anyone has done or heard of this before.

So what changes did it make? At the intake side, it increased the diameter of throttle butterfly from 76mm to 82mm. It also added a new resonance type variable intake manifold (previously called Varioram) to optimize torque across a wider band. At the exhaust side, it employs larger volume silencers to reduce back pressure. At the valvetrain, it increased the valve lift by 0.4mm and extended the variation range of the Variocam system from 45˚ to 52˚. In the combustion chambers, the compression ratio is lifted from 11.7 to 12.0:1. In the reciprocating parts, the conn-rods are lengthened to reduce thrust angle, hence wasting less energy. The pistons become shorter and lighter. All these put together, the new GT3 engine becomes even more revvy and powerful than ever. It produces 415 horsepower at 7600 rpm, which translate to an astonishing 115 horsepower per litre, even higher than Ferrari F430 (114 hp per litre) !! maximum torque now increases to 299 lbft at 5500 rpm. Max rev is lifted to 8400 rpm, almost like a touring race car.

As stated before the GT3 Engine is a Mezger motor a derivative of the race breed GT1 motor ,,there are very few components if any shared on the Carrera and Boxster powerplants with the GT3
The GT3 engine is not a tuned carrera engine ,it is completely a different engine build for racing with titanium internals and dry sump lubrication,,,,and a lubricated IMS bearing to avoid that common failure on M96 and M97 engines..
I fear your carrera engine will become..............
Old 04-11-2015, 10:21 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

As others have noted, the GT3 engine is known as a Mezger engine...a GT1 derived design. Yes it is a flat 6 but very different than the engine used in the 997. If you're interested in reading more about the GT3, PM me your email and I'll send you a pdf booklet. I still think your best bet is to get a 997 specific tune - Softronic, FVD, GIAC,etc.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:32 PM
BrakingBad
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts

Well, I have not found much info that the engine is that much different with the exception of the exhaust and a few other mods. Nothing major. This is a pretty well respected tuner and he is just asking if I want to try it. He has done it on other 3.6 motors ...
Who is this tuner and does he include a free tear collection receptacle with every purchase?
Old 04-11-2015, 01:35 PM
Alexandrius
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Raven 666
As stated before the GT3 Engine is a Mezger motor a derivative of the race breed GT1 motor ,,there are very few components if any shared on the Carrera and Boxster powerplants with the GT3
The GT3 engine is not a tuned carrera engine ,it is completely a different engine build for racing with titanium internals and dry sump lubrication,,,,and a lubricated IMS bearing to avoid that common failure on M96 and M97 engines..
I fear your carrera engine will become..............
When I hear horsepower per liter approaching ferrari F430 and 8400 RPM I definitely think "kaboom!"
Old 04-11-2015, 04:41 PM
1BEAT
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input. I will be going with a basic 997 3.6 tune. Not looking for max power anyhow. Just need something for my cat delete and my CAI.

Quick Reply: GT3 Tune on a 3.6 Carerra