Sponsored by:

Alcantara (GT3) vs Standard Sport Seats

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 09:23 AM
wlm50
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Alcantara (GT3) vs Standard Sport Seats

I've been searching threads on this topic, but haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. I just purchased a 2009 C4 (pictures later!) that has standard non-sport seats. Not enough lateral support for me. I'm coming from a Cayman S with manual sport seats (electric seatback tilt), which I really like. So I'm looking for some sport seats for the C4.

I see "GT3 Seats" with alcantara listed for sale. My question is whether or not, other than the seating surface, they are any different from the (standard) leather sport seats in a 997 or a 987. I found a set of alcantara seats locally, but they are out of the car. When I sit in them, they seem quite similar. The headrest seems closer to the back of my head, which is a little uncomfortable. But I can't tell if that is just because they aren't installed and I don't have the seat back angle correct. They have the same manual/electric adjustment as my previous leather sport seats.

The alcantara seats seem to draw a premium, perhaps because they are known as GT3 seats. If I'm just paying for the alcantara (which I like, by the way, so that they aren't so hot in the summer), then I need to take that into account.

I'm aware that the seats I'm describing are very different from the "sport bucket seats" that are available on the Cayman R, GT3, etc.. I'm not looking for those.

Thanks!
Old 04-03-2015, 02:54 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 306 Likes on 180 Posts

Search for my threads on the subject. I have two sets. I've looked at both out of the car and they look identical to me. I also had a 987.1 with sports seats and ended up with a 997.2 with memory crap seats. Ripped those out the first chance I got when I got a set of Alcantara 'GT3' seats from a fellow member on the west coast. At the same time I also snagged a pair of leather sport seats locally to use in case I got tired of the Alcantara (and I haven't yet).

Anyway, long story short ... they are the same as far as I can tell.

If you are local to DC, I can show you the two.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:05 PM
wlm50
Rennlist Member

Thanks very, much. This helps. I'm located in the Boston area, so can't come by to see your two sets of seats. But the description is very useful.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:21 PM
wlm50
Rennlist Member

Just to confirm... You have the manual/electric, not the adaptive seats, correct? Apparently you like the alcantara better than the leather. I'm thinking I would pay a small premium for alcantara, because they hold you better and are less warm in the summer.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:26 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 306 Likes on 180 Posts

Do not have adaptive.

Long story short, I used to have memory seats and wanted sport seats as I had in my 987.1. First ones I found were the Alcantara. My issue was wiring the sports seats into plugs for memory. You won't have that issue and will be plug and play.

I was also planning in adding more alcantara to the car so the GT3 seats were beneficial. I don't recall my leather 987.1 sport seats being hot in the summer and I had a black car.

I also wanted the sport seats because I was planning in painting the backs.

Alcantara vs leather. Personal preference. You definitely don't move around much in alcantara and it's a nice match with alcantara wheel, shifter, arm rest ....etc.

I do worry about spilling something on the alcantara so it's a little more in the back of my mind. I work on my cars and you never know when you've sat on something you shouldn't have and the I worry about forgetting and sitting down on the alcantara.

Others can chime in on preference. Make sure you get heated seats if your current ones are heated. Especially in Boston.

I never felt a need for the adaptive seats because they were more expensive and I already knew I was perfectly fine with the simpler sports seats.

Keep an eye out on the classifieds. Shipping is a pain as many will attest to. Hope for something local.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:05 PM
wlm50
Rennlist Member

Thanks very much for the insight and the advice. I'll keep looking!

Quick Reply: Alcantara (GT3) vs Standard Sport Seats