Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Florida residents, do you drive with your top down?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 11:07 AM
Collin Chapin
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Florida residents, do you drive with your top down?

I'm looking at relocating to somewhere between Orlando and Miami (I know, pretty big gap there) and I will be buying my first Porsche.

I am looking at a 997.1 or .2 most likely and prior to this move, I had always "known" I wanted a coupe. Now that i'm relocating to Florida, which was somewhat unexpected, I feel like i'm obligated to buy a cab due to the warmer weather.

How realistic is this? Is it often too hot/humid for driving with the top down? The only real reason I prefer the coupe is I like how it looks better.

If I'm able to drive top down at least half the time I think I should get the cab.

I know there are similar threads on the coupe/cab debate but I was specifically curious from anyone who lives in FL and ideally around Orlando/Miami.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-02-2015, 11:30 AM
rjshar
Rennlist Member

I have been in Miami for all of 2.5 years now and see plenty of people with the top down. You're right, in the summer it's ridiculously hot, but I think it will ultimately come down to personal preference. I am taking delivery of my first Porsche, a 997.2 C4S coupe after almost having pulled the trigger on a cab. Looking back, I'm very happy that I don't have to worry about maintaining the top and being susceptible to sun fade.

I've never owned a cab, so take my opinion with caution, but all I know is that I'm very happy that I ended up finding the right coupe.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:45 AM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a convertible in Florida and love driving with the top down. When it's a hot day, I wait until the sun is about to set and cruise around then.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:55 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts

Never in the summer when I had a cab. Way too hot In south Florida. Orlando is milder but still hot in the summer. Winter months it was enjoyable when humidity was low and Orlando is significantly cooler in the winter. If you have a choice as to where you're moving, I suggest south Florida. Way more to do in my opinion. I'm not an Orlando fan.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:05 PM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Orlando is SCALDING hot in the summer. That said, and keep this in mind - from October through late May/early June the weather is FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC.

Even summertime - the evenings and early mornings are great. Would I put the top down in August at 5pm in rush hour? Hell no. Would I put the top down to drive out to the boat at the same time? Yessir I would.

The car does come with AC as a standard feature too. :-)
Old 04-02-2015, 12:33 PM
Collin Chapin
Instructor

Originally Posted by awrryan
Never in the summer when I had a cab. Way too hot In south Florida. Orlando is milder but still hot in the summer. Winter months it was enjoyable when humidity was low and Orlando is significantly cooler in the winter. If you have a choice as to where you're moving, I suggest south Florida. Way more to do in my opinion. I'm not an Orlando fan.
I agree. My job is in Orlando but only requires me to be there 30-40% of the time so it's not out of the question that I live in Miami area and deal with a 3.5 hour commute when I do have to go to Orlando.

Ill be landing in West Palm Beach because I have a free place to stay for 3-4 months while I settle down somewhere.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:09 PM
RichFL
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My other car is a convertible and we don't put the top down on hot sunny days, but around dinner time is very nice.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:40 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I had 2 convertibles when I lived up north but in S. FL. zero desire to own one and here's why:

-Even when the temperature and humidity are mild, it's still the tropics and the sun bakes. I've had to close the sunroof in 65F temp because the sun was still broiling me. Aside from discomfort, there's the whole UV/skin cancer issue.

-Speaking of which, unless the car is covered during the day, the sun's UV will prematurely age the convertible top no matter what you treat it with. And the interior too when the top is down.

-Even when the sun drops enough not to bake you, there are mosquitos, bees, wasps and other flying insects galore.

-There are sudden downpours here. I mean literally, you can be approaching an intersection in bright sunshine, and it's pouring on the other side of the intersection. Many time's I have barely gotten the sunroof closed in time. If it was a convertible the interior and myself would've been soaked many times.

-Security. I've heard of people in convertibles getting pelted with drinks, cigarettes and other litter tossed from overpasses and even passing trucks and SUV's. And others who have been accosted/harassed at redlights with the top down, either by the beggars who seem to be at every major intersection, or other unsavory characters. I know many people whose tops were vandalized while parked.

The only type of convertible I would ever even consider owning down here is one of those with retractable metal tops, where if I only opened it a few times a year, the rest of the time I would have a nice, tight, structurally-sound coupe.

Just my opinion from 20+ years of living in S. FL. YMMV.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:58 PM
Collin Chapin
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ben Z
I had 2 convertibles when I lived up north but in S. FL. zero desire to own one and here's why:

-Even when the temperature and humidity are mild, it's still the tropics and the sun bakes. I've had to close the sunroof in 65F temp because the sun was still broiling me. Aside from discomfort, there's the whole UV/skin cancer issue.

-Speaking of which, unless the car is covered during the day, the sun's UV will prematurely age the convertible top no matter what you treat it with. And the interior too when the top is down.

-Even when the sun drops enough not to bake you, there are mosquitos, bees, wasps and other flying insects galore.

-There are sudden downpours here. I mean literally, you can be approaching an intersection in bright sunshine, and it's pouring on the other side of the intersection. Many time's I have barely gotten the sunroof closed in time. If it was a convertible the interior and myself would've been soaked many times.

-Security. I've heard of people in convertibles getting pelted with drinks, cigarettes and other litter tossed from overpasses and even passing trucks and SUV's. And others who have been accosted/harassed at redlights with the top down, either by the beggars who seem to be at every major intersection, or other unsavory characters. I know many people whose tops were vandalized while parked.

The only type of convertible I would ever even consider owning down here is one of those with retractable metal tops, where if I only opened it a few times a year, the rest of the time I would have a nice, tight, structurally-sound coupe.

Just my opinion from 20+ years of living in S. FL. YMMV.

These are the types of things i'm looking for... thank you for the input I would not have considered half of those prior to this thread.

Keep em comin' everyone! As always you guys are the best.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:00 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

no its too hot, you can do it maybe in the late fall, early spring a few times, but if its cold, its too cold and when its hot, its too hot.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:02 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 202 Posts

The wife sometimes does
(She drives a classic Grand Wagoneer) bwahahahahahhaa
What amuses me is that I love riding my Harley, but I have less than zero interest in a convertible. Go figure.

Apologies for butting in - carry on.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:02 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I love roadsters but I would never drive one in Florida, it's too hot and humid in the summer. I visit once year in the summer and hardly see any convertibles with the top down. I sweat with A/C on full blast, how can anyone drive with the top down?
Old 04-02-2015, 08:37 PM
uffrank
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do It.

I live in Tampa, which is slightly south of Orlando and I own a Cab. It is my first convertible and have been loving it (about 18 months now).

I lived in Miami for years and would not own one if I lived that far south, or if I lived in apartment without a garage.

First my rule is if its not raining and between 60 and 80 I have the top down. That can be almost 365 days a year in Tampa. Sometimes it is going for a 7am drive on a summer morning. Other times its cruising top down all day. If it starts to rain, top goes up and takes all of 20 seconds.

You will not get as much use from it during the 6 months it gets hot, but with the top up its just as cool as a coupe. Also if you park in a garage Sun Damage is not an issue.

I own my own business so I avoid traffic, but I put 12-15k/ year on my car.

I always have a cap and sunglasses in the car with me. There is no way you will ever regret cruising on a evening with top down. Do it, and look into Tampa. Its a fantastic place to live, I have been here 15 years and love it.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:13 PM
SJP3003
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

I lived in Coconut Grove for 4 years and had 2 verts while there, a Boxster S and a Beck Speedster. Most days from mid October to through April were fine for top down motoring. Evenings were fine year-round.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:45 AM
Naks
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No cab here, but considered it for some time before settling in with my coupe. I've been a South Floridian all my life and as nice as the idea of a cab may be, I just don't feel you'd get much time to truly enjoy it in South FL with the consistent 90+ degree weather, Baking sun, random down pours, etc. I'm content with sunroof open and windows down.

Quick Reply: Florida residents, do you drive with your top down?