Sponsored by:

Lamin-X kit from Suncoast

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 06:47 PM
robh75
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lamin-X kit from Suncoast

I installed the Lamin-X (6%) kit from Suncoast (headlights, fog lights, and side markers). The lightest tint you can buy, so more of a subtle change. I saw something similar on the 991 GTS and thought it looked good so gave it a shot. Good for making 997.2 DRL's a little less obnoxious too, they were so damn bright.

In case anyone was considering doing it here are pics of how it turned out. The third pic is with the DRL's on.
Attached Images    
Old 03-28-2015, 06:57 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Looks good.

You know you can turn the DRL off, right?
Old 03-28-2015, 07:05 PM
robh75
Instructor

Originally Posted by gota911
Looks good.

You know you can turn the DRL off, right?
Thanks. Yeah, I know and I actually like to keep the DRL's on, but seeing how bright they are compared to other brands I actually think they might annoy other drivers. Maybe not, but anyway this lessens the brightness by 6%. Kit was only $60, so I'll try it for a while.

Apparently the 991 GTS comes standard with tinted headlights:
Attached Images  
Old 03-28-2015, 07:14 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by robh75
...Good for making 997.2 DRL's a little less obnoxious too, they were so damn bright.
That is the point. DRLs should be bright - for safety sake.

And... I suspect that tinted headlights from the factory are an optical filter designed to provide a perceived lens color but will not reduce the light output. If they do it's definitely a dumb poseur option.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:37 PM
robh75
Instructor

Originally Posted by ADias
That is the point. DRLs should be bright - for safety sake.

And... I suspect that tinted headlights from the factory are an optical filter designed to provide a perceived lens color but will not reduce the light output. If they do it's definitely a dumb poseur option.
Yes they should be bright enough to see, but if too bright they can be distracting other drivers which is exactly the opposite of safety's sake.... Just my opinion, you can have yours. The point of such forums is to share, not condescend BTW.

Not sure if GTS comes standard with this or if it is a factory option. The conversion kit is pretty pricey at Suncoast ($2,700). I think you're right it probably does not affect light transmission, at least not materially.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...EXTERIORLIGHTS
Old 03-28-2015, 10:01 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Yes they should be bright enough to see, but if too bright they can be distracting other drivers which is exactly the opposite of safety's sake.... Just my opinion, you can have yours. The point of such forums is to share, not condescend BTW.

Not sure if GTS comes standard with this or if it is a factory option. The conversion kit is pretty pricey at Suncoast ($2,700). I think you're right it probably does not affect light transmission, at least not materially.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...EXTERIORLIGHTS
No condescension on my side, just my opinion. Your opinion vs my opinion.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:26 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Thanks. Yeah, I know and I actually like to keep the DRL's on, but seeing how bright they are compared to other brands I actually think they might annoy other drivers. Maybe not, but anyway this lessens the brightness by 6%. Kit was only $60, so I'll try it for a while.

Apparently the 991 GTS comes standard with tinted headlights:
Just some clarification. The 991 GTS headlights are NOT tinted. The inner housing is matte black instead of chrome or light gray as in the 997. That's what makes them seem darker. And also realize that tinting headlights them is illegal in most states.

Note: I am currently attempting to matte black paint my 997 lights' inner housing and will plan it out before I attempt and post.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:08 PM
robh75
Instructor

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Just some clarification. The 991 GTS headlights are NOT tinted. The inner housing is matte black instead of chrome or light gray as in the 997. That's what makes them seem darker. And also realize that tinting headlights them is illegal in most states.

Note: I am currently attempting to matte black paint my 997 lights' inner housing and will plan it out before I attempt and post.
Yeah I just discovered that after some more investigation. Definitely post the results - what you are planning is really the ideal thing to do (other than purchase the expensive conversion kit). Honestly this 6% lamin-x is very subtle and tint is barely noticeable, so I'm not worried about legality with this light of a tint. But I didn't want to reduce light transmission materially. At least it will protect the lenses. My GF said it looks the same as it did before... lol.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:04 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

There is no kit that I've found for the 997.2. That kit you shared I've seen before and is actually for the 991.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:11 AM
MarcoRemius
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been wanting to put amber Lamin-X on my headlights. I had a roll of the stuff but it seems to have disappeared.

Quick Reply: Lamin-X kit from Suncoast