Sponsored by:

Drilling bumper

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 09:26 AM
gofor28off
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drilling bumper

I will be drilling the front bumper to install the OEM front plate bracket. It comes with the screws but no plugs. Do the screws go directly into the bumper or does it need plugs pushed into the drilled holes for the screws to go into? Thanks.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:47 AM
Canyonrs4
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

The OEM plate simply screws to the bumper, no plugs. Plugs are used to fill the holes once you remove the front plate and to fill the screw holes.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:30 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Drilling bumper

Can we beg you not to do it and recommend you just use a tow hook plate holder?
Old 03-17-2015, 12:01 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

I would personally advise against the tow hook plates... maybe it is just me, but it just doesn't look right and is painfully asymmetrical... I prefer the centered plate look 10x more than the off center look.

That said, I (weakly) second the notion of not drilling the front bumper. Mine is drilled and I keep going back/forth of getting it removed and sprayed... but then I'm not 100% confident in the "hidden holes" plate holder I have for staying on properly at higher speeds (just seems to have a small potential of coming off at speed)... I'm likely being paranoid.

I'm leaning towards leaving mine on, not adding a clear bra, and then just respraying in the future and fixing the holes in one shot. My car is meteor gray metallic so a respray done correctly should look fine.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:02 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

+1 - avoid drilling if at all possible and use a removable tow hook mounted license plate holder like this one: http://www.usmillworks.com/

Alternately, consider a bumper swap with someone local to you who already has theirs drilled. I'm sure they will pay you cash money for your unmolested bumper.

The next owner will thank you!!
Old 03-17-2015, 12:08 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

OP is in Toronto, Ontario... they will pull the car over without a front plate. Cops there are much more aggressive for lack of front plates, so the OP will (I'm guessing) always have the plate on.

Really strongly suggest just doing the drill or using a hidden screws bracket if my assumption is correct and that plate will always be there. I don't quite get the concept of putting the plate in a less attractive position for the sake of avoiding those holes. It's like throwing a piece of plastic over a leather sofa to save the leather...

If someone has the luxury of keeping the plates off 50%+ of the time, then I'd agree with the tow hook bracket....
Old 03-17-2015, 03:12 PM
gofor28off
Racer

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Can we beg you not to do it and recommend you just use a tow hook plate holder?
I completely agree and it will be painful but the car is sold and the new owner would like the oem plate holder mounted. Will drill it, shed a tear and then screw the screws straight in... Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:29 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
OP is in Toronto, Ontario... they will pull the car over without a front plate. Cops there are much more aggressive for lack of front plates, so the OP will (I'm guessing) always have the plate on.

Really strongly suggest just doing the drill or using a hidden screws bracket if my assumption is correct and that plate will always be there. I don't quite get the concept of putting the plate in a less attractive position for the sake of avoiding those holes. It's like throwing a piece of plastic over a leather sofa to save the leather...

If someone has the luxury of keeping the plates off 50%+ of the time, then I'd agree with the tow hook bracket....
You need the plate in Ontario. Some ride without it and run the risk of getting pulled over but who needs another excuse for getting pulled over

The plate is on there all the time so just drill and mount and forget

I think the tow hook mount looks ridiculous and sticks out way more from a visual perspective than a center mounted plate
Old 03-17-2015, 03:30 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by gofor28off
I completely agree and it will be painful but the car is sold and the new owner would like the oem plate holder mounted. Will drill it, shed a tear and then screw the screws straight in... Thanks for the advice.
Sorry missed this - once its done you just forget about it or at least I did
Old 03-17-2015, 06:25 PM
PapaC4S
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Look at Skene License Bracket

I would suggest looking at the Skene Design license bracket for the front bumper. It mounts very nicely on the lip of the lower grille opening.
Attached Images  
Old 03-17-2015, 11:01 PM
jets
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 911-targa4s
I would suggest looking at the Skene Design license bracket for the front bumper. It mounts very nicely on the lip of the lower grille opening.
THIS^^^^

And to the OP: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Old 03-17-2015, 11:14 PM
EbonyC4S
Rennlist Member

The Skene bracket is somewhat universal. The above example is positioned in front of the center radiator, blocking air flow. After a few minutes of playing around with bracket configurations, I found the combination to mount mine above the radiator allowing full air flow to the radiator. It was a puzzler at first.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:27 PM
PrimeMvr
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's hard to see in the pic, but I just tapped a single screw up from the bottom. Worked great and invisible.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:53 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Do they still pull you over if you order a sticker license plate and stick it on the bumper?
Old 03-20-2015, 11:56 AM
beers4all
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's what I did:
- Purchased new plates
- Mounted the rear
- Took a super high res photo of the front plate
- Emailed the file to the fellow that does my printing and had him produce the image on a vinyl adhesive sticker in the exact dimension of the actual plate ($30 for 2 copies)
- Applied the sticker to the front bumper over top of the 3M

Quick Reply: Drilling bumper