Sponsored by:

Black on Black for resale?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 02:55 PM
gopirates
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Black on Black for resale?

I'm considering a Black on Black and am wondering if this is easy to resell. I like it, however I would like opinions from others as I'm sure folks will say Black leather can get warm in the summer and a Black car shows every speck. Thoughts?
Old 01-28-2015, 03:09 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by gopirates
I'm considering a Black on Black and am wondering if this is easy to resell. I like it, however I would like opinions from others as I'm sure folks will say Black leather can get warm in the summer and a Black car shows every speck. Thoughts?
I think you just answered your own question. Those issues could be a concern for potential buyers. Conversely, they could also be benefits. Black on black is classic, sleek, will never go out of style and when it is clean, it's arguably the best looking stock paint on the market.

There are benefits and drawbacks. It depends on the buyer and I would find it could go both ways. I will put my name on it and say that black on black will never decrease the value of a car.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:23 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

+1 for "the best looking stock paint on the market"

Old 01-28-2015, 03:26 PM
eviligloo
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 73 Posts

A black sports car is one of the coolest looking cars when it's clean. It's mean and aggressive and awesome!

Now that that's out of the way I bought my first and last black car 9 years ago. It's a royal pain to keep clean, rock chips are incredibly noticeable and accumulate constantly, paint swirls are more evident, and you can't drive it in the rain without leaving water spots all over your car.

Never again for me.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:53 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Fortunately, I live in an area that sees little rain so the Black is much easier to keep clean. Also, living in AZ I see plenty of hot weather and at 110 degrees it doesn't matter what color car you have.

When its clean and purdy, it looks amazing.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:02 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

I'd say it depends on how and how much you're going to use the car.

If your 911 is going to be a garage queen, black on black will be a positive for resale. A black car with perfect paint always looks good and if someone sees that your paint is perfect, they may assume that you were that **** about the rest of the car, too. Sure, there are people that won't own black cars, but it's hard to say no to a black car when it's waxed and the paint is perfect.

If your 911 is going to be driven, I see black on black as a negative. It only looks good for the first five minutes after you wash it and as others have mentioned, black shows chips and swirls more than almost any other color. If you drive the car alot, it will be almost impossible to keep these things from happening--but on other colors, you can hide the chips and swirls easier.

Just my 2 cents, and yes, I have owned a black car and no I would not want to own another one.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:17 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 90 Posts

I've owned several black cars in the past (996 C2, Sterling, Chevy). Swore never to buy another. Haven't had one in 20 years. In August, after selling my SY GT3, bought a black on black GTS, the right car for the right money. Depends on the buyer, and there are plenty of those out there.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:36 PM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

I'm slightly biased but personally love black / black. : )

Old 01-28-2015, 06:05 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by eviligloo
A black sports car is one of the coolest looking cars when it's clean. It's mean and aggressive and awesome!

Now that that's out of the way I bought my first and last black car 9 years ago. It's a royal pain to keep clean, rock chips are incredibly noticeable and accumulate constantly, paint swirls are more evident, and you can't drive it in the rain without leaving water spots all over your car.

Never again for me.
+997, It's common b/c a lot of people like it, resell is not an issue, keeping it clean is. My 911 is my first and last black car. Too OCD to own another one.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:37 PM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Ynot

+997, It's common b/c a lot of people like it, resell is not an issue, keeping it clean is. My 911 is my first and last black car. Too OCD to own another one.
This is my third black 911. With each one I've said never again and then I fall for another one.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:01 PM
gopirates
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. I actually have two other cars that are black. I know the pain in keeping it clean and the issues of it showing everything. I was merely concerned for resale and demand for a black on black 997 as I have one on my shortlist.

By the way, the wife and kids have all eyerolled on "another" black car....However for the right car, I'm willing to go down path again as it is one of my favorite colors as well.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:13 PM
dalancroft
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CAA
I'm slightly biased but personally love black / black. : )

So purdy! My wife's 2005 Audi S4 was a pearlescent black-on-black, and now her 2011 Carrera S Cab is the Basalt Black Metallic. PITA to maintain, fer sher, but so gorgeous when clean. I bought one of those mitts that replaces a clay bar, and then use the finishing spray that comes with it (ask and I'll head to the garage for brand names). Not much more work than a quick wash 'n' dry, and it sparkles when done. Fortunately she has covered parking at work and a garage space here at home, so a good cleaning lasts a couple of weeks.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:30 PM
newmexicomatt
Advanced

I always laugh at the "black interiors are hotter" comment. I think there was a study done and it was determined that the difference between the black interior over the lighter colored interior was a matter of only a degree or two. When you're talking 135 degrees vs 137 degrees it just doesn't matter! I've had black interior cars and don't think they are any hotter. That being said I had to skip black cars as I live on a dirt road and black is the hardest color to keep clean.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:53 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

I have never purchased a black car for my self and I never will. My wife's previous car was black and looked dirty all of the time.

Keeping a black car looking clean is not a hobby, it's a profession.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:21 AM
ddrxdd
Intermediate

Nothing beats triple black!

Quick Reply: Black on Black for resale?