Sponsored by:

Nav/Radio Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 11:21 PM
GBG
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nav/Radio Upgrade

Thinking about upgrading my '07 factory system to this Alpine system. I like the bigger screen and all the updated goodies.

http://cai-store.com/collections/rad...tooth-ipod-usb

Anyone have this system running? Does anyone have another Nav kit that they really like? Pics are welcome. Thanks!
Old 01-25-2015, 08:14 AM
3putt4DG
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put this system in my car and I am much happier with it than I was the stock head unit.
The bluetooth function is nice both for playing music as well as for phone calls. Happy to have Sirius/XM now.
The GPS still isn't as good as the GPS on my phone so I find myself still using my phone most of the time still.
The controls can be a little clumsy. The volume control is tiny little buttons on the bottom lip of the unit but once you get used to where they are it is ok. Most everything else is on the touch screen.
It has a great set up mode that lets you choose from preset EQ or to customize the sound. And it has a function that allows you to pick a spot in the car to "center" the sound on which makes a big difference.
They put the black trim ring around mine. I saw a silver trim ring in the link you sent that I think I like better.
Let me know if you can think of anything else specific you are wondering about.
Attached Images   

Last edited by 3putt4DG; 01-25-2015 at 08:17 AM. Reason: left out photos
Old 01-25-2015, 03:35 PM
GBG
Pro

Hi 3putt4pg, thanks for the very helpful post and excellent pic. Couple of minor follow up questions:

What should expect (ball park) cost for installation?
How's the telephone sound at caller's end? Where is the mic in our car?
That's a little disappointing about GPS...
What do you think of the $1500 price for the kit? I'm wondering if an installer could get it for me cheaper...usually they try to add their own mark up, which is why I think it's probably better to walk in with the unit, but I wonder if the $1500 price is in the right ballpark...

Thanks again!
Old 01-25-2015, 06:07 PM
3putt4DG
Instructor

My guy charged me $1,275 for the head unit (INE-W957HD), $125 for the dash kit, $70 for the XM receiver, I had a rear camera installed at the same time and it cost $129. I also got a new amp installed.
Labor to install the radio was $100. Labor to install XM radio was $45, backup camera - $125.
My mic is on the far right of the dash before the console. If you look at the second photo I sent you can see it. I actually noticed that it had come loose in the photo and was pointing down! Easy fix.
Initially, audio on the callers end wasn't very good. There are two adjustments when the phone call screen is up. One is to "increase" the volume in and the other to "increase" the feed out. Since callers complained that they couldn't hear me I kept increasing the feed out.
One day while driving with the top down I got a phone call and the caller said the sound was great. I was confused. I posted some questions here and someone correctly suggested that I had actually increased the out feed too much. Seemed counterintuitive but you can't argue with results.
Hope this helps. And happy to answer any other q's anytime! Good luck with it. My service guy tells me that most people prefer this type of upgrade when looking at resale.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:22 PM
GBG
Pro

Very helpful responses!! Many thanks.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:20 PM
WestCan997
Instructor

Sent you a PM
Old 01-27-2015, 10:16 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure you check Amazon before buying anything usually much cheaper. Did you look into the Pioneer NEX8100? Has cool apple play and seems to be super quick.

Any drawbacks of the alpine? No silver case to match the dash?
Old 01-28-2015, 12:51 AM
powderzone
Instructor

GBG...that's the aftermarket head unit I had installed by a local high-end car audio shop. I love it. It is very intuitive. The satnav isn't quite as good as my iPhone but it's still a huge improvement over the stock system.
My system install included upgraded speakers with acoustic tiling, new amp, and head unit. Total cost was $5K but it is off-the-hook good sound.
I've got a cab so I wanted some extra for the occasions when the flat 6 soundtrack aren't sufficient.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:04 PM
GBG
Pro

Thanks guys. Lots of good and helpful reviews. Much appreciated.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:49 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 781 Posts

You need to consider the reasons for your desire to upgrade. I have no issue with the sound quality of PCM 2.1 and Bose. My issue is the lack of functionality compared to modern systems. I like the OEM look too. I decided to have a Mobridge M2 Pro installed. It's invisible in the cabin, so everything looks stock. The only exception is a tiny mic located up high on the windshield, almost out of sight. My stock system now has bluetooth telephone connectivity and streaming bluetooth audio. I can wirelessly play Pandora, iTunes, Spotify, etc. Song track information is displayed on the PCM screen and I can advance songs using head unit controls. I can also connect to navigation apps like Waze and they work flawlessly. Siri on my iPhone works flawlessly through the system. For me, this was the perfect solution.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:53 PM
GBG
Pro

Excellent suggestion, thanks Dennis. I will look into it.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:04 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 781 Posts

No problem. It worked well for me. Another one to consider if you decide to change the head unit is Dynavin. It's very popular with the Cayenne guys and I think they have an offering for the 997 now.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:00 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm with Dennis, my car came with mObridge installed and I'm fine with it. I'm no audiophile though. For my wasted ears (from kart racing and too much music volume when I was younger, plus one Motley Crue concert without hearing protection) there are two settings - loud or louder. I think the stock Bose system sounds fine. I'll have to try Waze through the PCM though.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:15 AM
GBG
Pro

Thanks guys.

I recently saw a 997 with a mini-ipad as the nav/radio head. Looked great with the large screen. Must have been a very unique custom install. Maybe worth looking into because I have an iPad mini that I never really use...
Old 05-12-2015, 12:02 AM
jcourtney997
Advanced

Default pioneer 8100 nex

I'm back to making. decision here. Anybody have the new pioneer with Android Auto?

Quick Reply: Nav/Radio Upgrade