Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Added Apple CarPlay with Alpine and Nav-TV?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 12:16 PM
BMWtoo
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Anyone Added Apple CarPlay with Alpine and Nav-TV?

I am considering upgrading my 2006 cab, which has the factory Bose, as well as a Dension unit for iPod and Bluetooth phone, to an Alpine with Apple CarPlay (Alpine iLX-007). I believe it would also require a Nav-TV unit to connect into the Bose amp, and scrapping the Dension/BT.

Has anyone done this and can you comment whether you like the new receiver, CarPlay functionality, etc.? One concern is that the Alpine has touchscreen volume controls which I don't like as much as a **** (and my car does not have the multi-function steering wheel to connect into).

Thanks for any tips or feedback.

Jon
Old 12-31-2014, 12:18 PM
BMWtoo
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Btw, I did search first, and it looks like some have considered this, just not sure if anyone has completed the install.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:49 PM
ATLDiver
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've thought about it but can't justify it since the NAV-TV iPod unit I have give me proper "background" music. I have a Cab as well and without replacing the speakers and amp, I'm not sure you would be buying youself much better ouptut with just swapping out the head-unit.

Honestly, I don't like the idea of using a MOST adaptor which in itself is around $500; if I were to swap out I'd rather invest that cash in a better amp, new wiring and perhaps better speakers. There's an aftermarket head-unit that comes with a MOST connector so it's litteraly plug and play; it's been posted on here before and looks factory. A lot of Cayanne owners have opted for it, granted it doesn't intergrate with 'Apple-play' but does BT, AD2P, streaming, XM/Sirius, iPod, etc. If I do swap head-units that's probably what I'll do to be honest.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:41 PM
Psymon
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

if you already have the Dension, you might want to try this before spending much more $ for doing less.

Having an iPad Mini with it's dedicated 3G/4G connection gives me the full access to apps, while CarPlay has only a few apps available and rides on your iPhone.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:29 PM
WestCan997
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PM sent. I have done the conversion on my 2006 997
Old 01-25-2015, 08:09 AM
bcenteno
Track Day

Would you mind PMing me as well? I am interested in the complexity of the conversion for my 2006 997s. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-25-2015, 08:22 AM
3putt4DG
Instructor

I just responded to a similar thread with photos.
I converted mine to an Alpine unit with bluetooth and I like it. I mentioned the same concern with the volume controls that you have concerns with. Not ideal but once you get used to it not a big deal.
I did replace my amp as well as someone mentioned. Overall - happy that I made the update. Biggest gains are bluetooth and XM Radio for me.

Quick Reply: Anyone Added Apple CarPlay with Alpine and Nav-TV?