Sponsored by:

997 Decals/Graphic applied

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 08:46 PM
PVKPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
Default 997 Decals/Graphic applied

Ordered these about a week ago and had them installed yesterday. Whats the consensus? I was originally concerned might cheapen the look or potentially look tacky but after he was done applying, I was happy. I didnt install the front peices that go on the front bumper because it didnt seem necessary or that it would add anything. Looks cleaner like this. Hard too tell from the smaller pic but its a silver stripe with blue accent.

Normally I like cars with no graphics, no chrome or brushed trim, very monochromatic looking cars as much as possible. But my 997 just had so much grey and while I love this color, to me needed something to break it up a bit.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:35 PM
996_North
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I understand the blah factor sometimes felt with grey or silver cars. I am not a big fan of graphic decals but the one you have looks pretty subtle. Hard to tell from the pic what is going on with the blue part near the rear wheels, but the silver stripe looks clean. Have you considered different colours for the wheels?
Old 12-30-2014, 10:06 PM
swordsmn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it looks tasteful. Do lose the pumpkin side markers. Sort of Rennlist peer pressure :-)
Old 12-31-2014, 12:42 AM
PVKPorsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996_North
I understand the blah factor sometimes felt with grey or silver cars. I am not a big fan of graphic decals but the one you have looks pretty subtle. Hard to tell from the pic what is going on with the blue part near the rear wheels, but the silver stripe looks clean. Have you considered different colours for the wheels?
Thanks for the feedback, The blue is actually above and below each side of the silver stripe and at the back its a mix of silver & blue checkered. I have thought of different colored wheels but I worry that without this being a GT2/GT3 or even the Aero body kit, colored wheels might look odd. Possibly an blue accident stripe around the outter perimeter edge of the wheel to match the stripes.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:45 AM
PVKPorsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by swordsmn
I think it looks tasteful. Do lose the pumpkin side markers. Sort of Rennlist peer pressure :-)
Thanks Swordsmn and yes I know, just have to get around to looking for the replacements. Any guidance on where to get them, Pelican Parts likely one.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:00 AM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

I think .1 and .2 RS decals look good. This on the other end reminds me of the first fast and furious movie. That's just my opinion though.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:23 PM
Hunt3R
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The silver stripe looks good with silver wheels. I've thought about doing similar graphics on my car but when I see a 20+ year old car with 80's or 90's style graphics on them I begin to think that I may not like the look so much a few years down the road. So I keep talking myself out of it.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:39 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

pkancel,

The strips look OK, but it's really hard to twll from teh small of a pic.

You should take you car to the local Porsche dealer and have them check your spoiler, it seems to be stick in the up position.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:53 PM
PVKPorsche
Rennlist Member

Actually those are motion photos, doing over 60mph and that damn spoiler keeps popping up. Just going so fast that the wheels appear to be standing still....or I do that to remind myself that I really want the Techart Spoiler back there!

Originally Posted by gota911
pkancel,

The strips look OK, but it's really hard to twll from teh small of a pic.

You should take you car to the local Porsche dealer and have them check your spoiler, it seems to be stick in the up position.
Old 12-31-2014, 03:43 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by pkancel
Actually those are motion photos, doing over 60mph and that damn spoiler keeps popping up.
Bigger pics of the stationary car, please. And fix your avatar while you're at it
Old 12-31-2014, 04:45 PM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

why did porsche include a button to open the lid while stationary? is there an actual purpose?
Old 12-31-2014, 09:13 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 742 Posts

Cleaning. Lubing. Adjustments. Maintenance. Telling the LEO that just because it was up doesn't really mean you were doing 75.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:46 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddhamonk
why did porsche include a button to open the lid while stationary? is there an actual purpose?
I'll take a stab at this.

I am pretty sure that I read somewhere that the spoiler has a dual function. First, with the 911 shaped like an airfoil, it disrupts airflow over the top of the car slowing the speed of air and negating lift. (It doesn't generate downforce directly as a true wing would but, for all practical purposes, it achieves a similar result - which is to decrease the lift through air flow disruption. In a way, a parallel may be ice build-up on airplane wing which disrupts airflow and causes a reduction in lift - a simplification of course because flight not only involves Bernoulli's Principle but the Coanda Effect and Newton's 3rd Law of Motion). Anyway, the second reason is that when the engine temperature reaches a certain level it will open for ventilation purposes regardless of speed.

Negating lift is of little value at lower speeds so manually raising the wing has little or no functional purpose. In regard to engine temperature, however, there may be a need to raise the wing. Say it is a really hot day and the wing raises to help ventilate/cool the engine. The engine cools and the wing closes. But heat will build up again and at some point the wing will rise again. If you manually keep the wing raised it will probably keep the engine temperature from rising as quickly as it might if it were closed.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:43 PM
SJP3003
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
I'll take a stab at this.... If you manually keep the wing raised it will probably keep the engine temperature from rising as quickly as it might if it were closed.
Hadn't thought of this (and I'm on my third 911) but it makes sense and I'll be keeping it in mind here in the Dominican Republic where it's hot year round and traffic in the city can be slow as molasses

Thanks
Old 01-01-2015, 08:45 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
pkancel,
The strips look OK, but it's really hard to twll from that small of a pic.
Be sure to click on the magnifying class along the top to see the full size photo. It only shows a thumbnail otherwise.

I think it looks quite tasteful! Nicely done. I've considered the GT3-RS style stripes on occasion but have never gone through with it. Maybe one day...

Quick Reply: 997 Decals/Graphic applied