2015 PCA GGR Track Series

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 05:45 PM
tgsmith4845
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 113 Posts
Default 2015 PCA GGR Track Series

Fellow Track enthusiasts,

PCA GGR ís excited to announce our upcoming 2015 Track series, featuring 7 DEs and 4 Club Races at California's best race tracks:

Jan 24 Thunderhill DE / Instructor Training day, for anyone interested in becoming a Nationally certified PCA DE Instructor
Mar 28-29 Thunderhill DE / CR
May 16-17 Buttonwillow DE / CR (PCA CCCR May 15)
June 5-7 Laguna CR w/SCCA (June 4 test & tune)
Jun 13-14 Laguna DE
Aug 15-16 Thunderhill DE
Sep 5-6 Thunderhill DE / CR
Oct 24-25 Sonoma (Sears Pt) w/ NASA DE

Mark your calendars now and come on out and join us. Run groups from beginner to advanced.

Tim
PCA GGR Track Chair
ggrttchair@gmail.com
pca-ggr.org
Old 12-18-2014, 08:02 PM
chago996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone who belongs to PCA can join one of those events? San Diego member

Last edited by chago996; 12-18-2014 at 08:04 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-18-2014, 08:04 PM
tgsmith4845
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chago996
anyone who belongs to PCA can join one of those events. San Diego member
thanks Chago. Actually, we allow non-PCAers also. It's all about the driving.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:11 PM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome thanks for posting!
Old 12-18-2014, 09:32 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,145 Likes on 727 Posts

I'm a new owner, stupid on the rules. I hear that I can't drive at Sonoma until I get qualified somewhere else.

But first things first. Who do I contact to become a member of PCA?

Then what is my next move?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can offer
Old 12-18-2014, 10:23 PM
shewu
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wayne,

Head over to https://www.pca.org to sign up. The annual fee is about $46, and there might be a multi-year subscription discount. Then they will assign you to a regional group based on your location. You will get your membership card and PCA sticker in the mail soon after.

After that, sign up for any track or autocross events! Track events are usually $300 for one-day events or $500 for two-day events. You should also buy track insurance, get your car prepped (brake line flush at the minimum), and book a hotel if the track is far from home. Autocross (AX) is much lighter on the wallet - each session is about $50.

Hope this helps!
Old 12-19-2014, 12:16 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I'm committed to PCA for three years.

Back almost 40 years ago for off road we just showed up at the track (pretty much).

The same was true 30 years ago with my last Lotus.

I've been away for a while and figure things are different now.

I'm assuming I need to sign up for a DE or more to qualify for track time. And I'm due to hone my old skill set based upon my older body!

To that end, Thunderhill looks like a good course but that event falls on my wife's birthday. As they say in China, happy wife happy life.

So we are on to Buttonwillow (longer drive) or Laguna Seca. Will the latter be a good place to start, or should I opt for the drive down the 5?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:43 AM
shewu
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

MRLS (mazda raceway laguna seca) is somewhat evil, as there are walls not too far from the circuit. My friend spun out and almost crashed his GT3 RS once. I don't know much about Buttonwillow, but I'm pretty sure either track is more forgiving than Infineon/Sonoma/Sears Point.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:53 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Good info. The films I've seen of Thunderhill indicate lots of run off space that doesn't look too unfriendly. I learn best at the edge, if that is allowed. Looks like it may be time to strike a deal with my wife.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:00 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

I remember watching Kenny Roberts on his Yamaha many years ago at Laguna Seca. I really wanted to ride the Corkscrew.

I was traveling 28 days a month each time the Lotus Club rented the track and never got the chance to join them. It was a shorter track back then.

So the Corkscrew will still be something to look forward to I guess.

Kenny had his yellow 246GTS Dino Ferrari in the pits that weekend. If there is any car I lust for ...
Old 12-19-2014, 12:09 PM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wayne check out "hooked on driving" too. They have several track days coming up, even a few in January February ahead of the GGR track days, so you could get some seat time and possibly sign off for B Group at Sonoma if you are already a pretty experienced track driver from your Lotus days.

Thunderhill is a great track to learn on, and has 2 configurations a 3 & 5 mile layout - all with plenty of run off, and it's a gorgeous track.

The sonoma thing is really (as I've been told) because they have their own school up there at SimRaceway and have pulled the "my ball my rules" card - it's just as well, you'll be tearing up Sonoma soon enough, and this rule will actually get you into some tracks you may have otherwise not even tried.

I'm doing Thunderhill with HOD in January, so maybe see you there?
Dan
Old 12-19-2014, 12:45 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Dan ... Thanks for the information. I will check into it.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:39 AM
tgsmith4845
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Thanks. I'm committed to PCA for three years. Back almost 40 years ago for off road we just showed up at the track (pretty much). The same was true 30 years ago with my last Lotus. I've been away for a while and figure things are different now. I'm assuming I need to sign up for a DE or more to qualify for track time. And I'm due to hone my old skill set based upon my older body! To that end, Thunderhill looks like a good course but that event falls on my wife's birthday. As they say in China, happy wife happy life. So we are on to Buttonwillow (longer drive) or Laguna Seca. Will the latter be a good place to start, or should I opt for the drive down the 5? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Hi Wayne,

Welcome to PCA, and welcome back to the track! Sounds like you have tons of experience so it should come back to you rather quickly, considering the nuances of driving a Porsche on the track, of course. If you decide to join one of our PCA GGR events, we've got some pretty good instructors who can help you get back in the saddle and learn these great tracks.

As far as the tracks go, each of our area tracks is different, as folks here can attest to. PCA GGR likes to offer each of them to our drivers each season because they are different.

Thunderhill - Great track, only 2 hours from Bay Area; 3, 5 mile configurations, plus more; lots of open runoff. We'll probably go back to running the 3 mile configuration as that's what most of our drivers/racers prefer. Willows, CA is a nice little town, with Caso Ramos.

Sonoma (Sears Pt) - Fantastic track, 30 minutes from Bay Area, highly technical, fairly unforgiving in some spots, lots of walls. When you can drive Sears Pt, you can drive anywhere. Located in Sonoma, next to Napa, so makes a nice destination for your better half also with plenty of B&B's and wineries around.

Laguna Seca - Historic world class track, not as technical as Sonoma, some areas unforgiving, world famous Corkscrew. And Monterey is a great spot, which makes it a great family / couples destination.

Buttonwillow - nice flat, flowing track, newly repaved, plenty of open runoff area, but with the famous BW dust. No town to speak of, so you'll probably hear, "Great track, but don't expect anything else."

So, welcome back, and enjoy your driving!
Old 12-20-2014, 11:28 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

I've been running with GGR for the past two years. If you've been on the track before and are just getting back into it you'll be fine with any of the tracks. OK, Maybe Sonoma isn't the best to jump back in with. T-Hill would probably be the least intimidating followed by Buttonwillow. Both have tons of run off. Laguna is fine unless you bite off more than you can chew. Some spots have run off, some spots have a wall. As long as you keep realistic about what's going on with you and the car, you'll be fine. There's always track insurance you can get :-)

BTW, Sonoma is kind-a scary :-0
Old 12-22-2014, 01:51 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 212 Posts

Just my two cents for anyone on the fence about PCA vs all the other driving clubs. The instructors at PCA are top notch and PCA is very serious about safety and that their students really learn track driving. Besides its always a great crowd of track minded Porsche enthusiasts.