Few questions for 997 Turbo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 10:30 AM
Sole_
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Few questions for 997 Turbo Owners

Hey guys,

I just want to make an intro. I've been lurking the forums now for maybe about 6 months? I have always been in the car scene and I recently sold my 2000 Audi S4 (Full K04 + Supporting mods). I love the car and absolutely loved the 2.7 Bi Turbo.

Anyways, I have been thinking of getting a 997T 2007-2009. The couple of questions and concern I have are as follows:

1. How long do these Turbo's last? - I couldn't find a thread really of them blowing oil seals or what not like B5 S4's do.

2. Is there a tool like Vag-Com that can be bought for owners to diagnose/scan their own vehicles thoroughly?- I'm not sure if you guy's might know what a Vag-Com is but it's for Audi's and Volkswagen and it pretty much scan all the module and you can even change coding with it.

3. How awesome is it to hit boost in your 997 ?

I'm not really worried about maintenance or things breaking because I already work at an Audi dealership and also I'm mechanically inclined and I like challenges. I'm sure dropping a motor on Porsche is alot more simple than pulliing a motor and transmission on an S4.

Thanks guys for reading the thread, looking forward to reading your replies!

P.S. Here's a picture of my B5 S4 before I sold it. I miss it alot but I'm sure a 997T can fill that void

Detail7 by Bautista26, on Flickr
Old 11-24-2014, 10:45 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Post in the turbo forum for more answers.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:02 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,274 Likes on 800 Posts

Agreed - you'll get more responses in the 997 turbo forum. Here are my answers:

The 997 turbo seems to be a very reliable design. You don't often hear stories about turbos blowing seals, especially in "normal" use. The 997.1 turbo utilizes a variant of the Mezger engine that was originally used in the GT1 race car and is considered "bullet proof". The 997.2 utilizes a different design, but early reports are good.

There is a great tool called Durametric that you can buy for diagnostics. I'm not sure how it compares to Vag-Com, but many people use it.

The boost is awesome and very addictive. I came from a normally aspirated 996 C4S, and the difference in power is unbelievable. If you're into modding your turbo, there are many options available. Many people modify the suspension, the ECU and the exhaust.

Have fun shopping!
Old 11-25-2014, 12:15 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

Porsche builds very rock solid cars. While there is still some turbo lag in the 997 cars, they have engineered it to minimize it as best they can. Yes, these engines can be dropped fairly quickly--not as easily as a NA one, but relatively fast. The Porsche 997 line was built for ease of service...generally.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:22 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 829 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Sole_
Hey guys,

I just want to make an intro. I've been lurking the forums now for maybe about 6 months? I have always been in the car scene and I recently sold my 2000 Audi S4 (Full K04 + Supporting mods). I love the car and absolutely loved the 2.7 Bi Turbo.

Anyways, I have been thinking of getting a 997T 2007-2009. The couple of questions and concern I have are as follows:

1. How long do these Turbo's last? - I couldn't find a thread really of them blowing oil seals or what not like B5 S4's do.

2. Is there a tool like Vag-Com that can be bought for owners to diagnose/scan their own vehicles thoroughly?- I'm not sure if you guy's might know what a Vag-Com is but it's for Audi's and Volkswagen and it pretty much scan all the module and you can even change coding with it.

3. How awesome is it to hit boost in your 997 ?

I'm not really worried about maintenance or things breaking because I already work at an Audi dealership and also I'm mechanically inclined and I like challenges. I'm sure dropping a motor on Porsche is alot more simple than pulliing a motor and transmission on an S4.

Thanks guys for reading the thread, looking forward to reading your replies!

P.S. Here's a picture of my B5 S4 before I sold it. I miss it alot but I'm sure a 997T can fill that void

Detail7 by Bautista26, on Flickr
997.1 turbo should easily go 120K + with proper maintanence, search Mezger engine design.

AFAIK P industry does not offer anything similar to VAGCOM. P does sell durametric tool, but i think it may be primarily a diagnostic tool, not a feature change tool like VAG COM

Boost? subjective answer. My chipped 997.1 turbo has a more "pronounced" boost indicator (my ***) than my stock A4 Avant.

have fun.

Last edited by cgfen; 11-26-2014 at 05:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Few questions for 997 Turbo Owners